• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haitian yearning for Seba

Haitian yearning for Seba

By PAUL A REID Observer West writer

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti
    Judesson Brunache might be living in Haiti, but his heart is in Jamaica and particularly at Seba United — the club he was a part of briefly and to which he hopes to return soon.
    The 23-year-old striker was an unofficial part of the Jamaican delegation during the recent Caribbean Football Union’s secondround Olympic qualifying Group H tournament staged in Port Au Prince. He acted as a translator, helped pack up the gear after training, and did anything that was asked — even acting as a bodyguard of sorts at times.
    Brunache, who lives just outside of the Haitian capital in Demas, was one of the hundreds of Haitian refugees who were sent back to the country in January 2006 after spending two years at the camp in Montpelier, St James.
    Since then, he has not stopped making efforts to return and has kept in touch with the club, calling top officials Bruce Gaynor and Orville Powell frequently. Brunache also told the OBSERVER WEST that he follows the Premier League online from time to time to see how Seba is doing.
    Proudly showing off his Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) player ID card, the speedy forward, who said he played two Premier League games against Harbour View and Waterhouse, noted that he has not managed to hook up with any team in Haiti this season.
    “I tried out with (Haitian team) Victoire, but was too late to start playing this season,” Brunache said, adding that he used to represent another club called Operation in 2006.
    Like so many other Haitians, Brunache fled the country by boat in search of a better life all those months ago. While seeking asylum, he managed to get in touch with the former two-time national champions and made his mark.
    Gaynor and Powell agreed that the Haitian was a useful player with more than average speed, but have asked him to hold on while the paper work is sorted out. Jamaica does not have a diplomatic relationship with Haiti and so Haitians seeking to work here must travel to the adjoining Dominican Republic to sort out their papers. This process, including the cost of air travel, would cost about US$130, which is out of the reach of the unemployed Brunache.
    While the official exchange rate in Haiti is H$7 to US$1, the minimum wage there is US$3 per day. Brunache looks back on his stay in Jamaica with fondness, saying, “So it was great for me and I want to go back there and resume playing. They want me to come back, but they have asked me to give them some time so I am still waiting on them.”
    Meawhile, he stays in shape by training with a number of teams, including “Victoire and some teams in my area”.

Haitianfotball player Judesson Brunache (left) poses with Seba Uted
    •s KeneilVi rgo, a member of the
    JamaicanteamthattookpartintheCFUtornamentinPrtAuri erecently.BrunacheishopingtojoinVi rgo ontheSebatem is n. /Photo: Paul Reid

Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Wait deh!! Oonu ah tell me sey, de Haitian $ betta dan fe we?!! H$7 = US$1!!

Comment

I was shocked at that too but they are still the poorest country in the hemisphere.

I had the same reaction when I went to Cuba and saw their money was rated higher against the US $ than ours but it looks like some manipulation on the part of the Haitian central bank than reality.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

c'mon sickko, it's simple supply and demand.
        Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
        Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

what ballers or the Haitina dollar?
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
          X