Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell’s no superman- Observer West Column

Burrell’s no superman

IN a few days, Horace Burrell will reclaim the position of president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), and it is expected that shortly thereafter significant changes will be made to revive the sport.
    Burrell, who was at the helm of the sport when it achieved unprecedented success, culminating in Jamaica becoming the first English-speaking Caribbean country to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in France in 1998 as well as Youth World Cups in Argentina and New Zealand in the succeeding two years, will take over from Crenston Boxhill at Sunday’s Voting Congress to be held in Hanover.
    The weight of expectations will be enough to test even the best administrator. But as Burrell has proved in the past, he and his team — not he alone — will be up to the job. For many, the expectations might be too much and unreasonable. There are those who are expecting Burrell, singlehandedly, not only to turn around the administration, the finances and marketing of the Reggae Boyz, but also to score goals, stop goals, drive the bus to and from training and games, and wash the team’s kits. And this is not just for the senior team, but also for all the age group teams, both male and female.
    Expectations must, however, be based on reality and people must realise that while Burrell has a lot of clout in football circles, the job is bigger than one individual. Unfortunately in his previous stint, Burrell came across to many as an egocentric superman, and that led in a large part to his removal from office in November 2003. More than anything else in this second stint, Burrell must detail to the nation as soon as Sunday, even following the formalities, exactly what his priority will be. Will it be qualifying Jamaica for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa or putting in place a serious foundation for the growth and development of the sport?
    It was Brazilian Rene Simoes, who guided the team to France in 1998, who said qualifying for the World Cup then was like building a house from the roof down as we had no foundation for sustainable development in the sport. While there is nothing wrong with trying to qualify for the World Cup, rebuilding the foundation of the game here at the administrative and club levels must take priority over all else.
    It is also widely expected that national technical director Bora Milutinovic will be history, and by this time next week could be on his way home to Mexico. The US$2-million question is ‘Can we afford this on more than one level?’
    There is no doubt in my mind that Bora is the best coach we have ever had or can afford, and it would be best if the new administration would try to keep him instead of playing politics and sweep him out with the old administration simply because they hired him.
    I hope the rumours of Simoes coming back are just that — rumours. Simoes has nothing to offer Jamaica right now, and the further away he stays, the better. The man cannot get a job anywhere, not even in a club system, and football has moved on since he was last here.
    Finally, I find it interesting when I see the respective FA presidents lining up to bash the outgoing administration, including many who voted for Boxhill and who were fed up with Burrell in 2003. It reminds me of a scene from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar when the Roman emperor said he would rather have fat men around him as the thin men spent too much time thinking and not enough time enjoying the free food. A lot of what we have heard are people scrambling to get to the head of the line for the pork barrel they hope will be opened soon.

Burrl..wasatthehelmofthesportwhenit cievedunp recedentedsuccess

Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

[quote=Sickko;57836]Burrell’s no superman

IN a few days, Horace Burrell will reclaim the position of president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), and it is expected that shortly thereafter significant changes will be made to revive the sport.

Burrell, who was at the helm of the sport when it achieved unprecedented success, culminating in Jamaica becoming the first English-speaking Caribbean country to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in France in 1998 as well as Youth World Cups in Argentina and New Zealand in the succeeding two years, will take over from Crenston Boxhill at Sunday’s Voting Congress to be held in Hanover.

The weight of expectations will be enough to test even the best administrator. But as Burrell has proved in the past, he and his team — not he alone — will be up to the job.

For many, the expectations might be too much and unreasonable. There are those who are expecting Burrell, singlehandedly, not only to turn around the administration, the finances and marketing of the Reggae Boyz, but also to score goals, stop goals, drive the bus to and from training and games, and wash the team’s kits. And this is not just for the senior team, but also for all the age group teams, both male and female.

[quote]

Well Burrell had proven himself a super...man up until at least 2002.

Expectations must, however, be based on reality and people must realise that while Burrell has a lot of clout in football circles, the job is bigger than one individual.
    True!
    Even a superman needs help!

Unfortunately in his previous stint, Burrell came across to many as an egocentric superman, and that led in a large part to his removal from office in November 2003.
    True!

More than anything else in this second stint, Burrell must detail to the nation as soon as Sunday, even following the formalities, exactly what his priority will be. Will it be qualifying Jamaica for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa or putting in place a serious foundation for the growth and development of the sport?
    Not true!
    Burrell has said that he needs to get into the offices of the JFF and see what has been left there. He has in speaking with this reporter said that there may be relevations that will shock 'those who follow our football'.

Now that could mean there are (Shatta? ...where are you when you need him?) more serious allegations of mis-management than we would have thought of...and or that there where actions taken bordering on irresponsible turning of a blind eye to fudiciary responsibilities by the previous adnministration.

He did say his job is to revitalise the sport, make the brand REGGAE BOYZ, which has suffered tremendous harm...cheapened...once again a respected brand.

It was Brazilian Rene Simoes, who guided the team to France in 1998, who said qualifying for the World Cup then was like building a house from the roof down as we had no foundation for sustainable development in the sport. While there is nothing wrong with trying to qualify for the World Cup, rebuilding the foundation of the game here at the administrative and club levels must take priority over all else.
    A nonsense stance!
    What would be the earthly reason not to do both things? What would be the reason to not manage both areas for success? Why would not an excellent manager find the resources...simultaneously - funds and people - to make both TOP OF THE WORLD!

It is also widely expected that national technical director Bora Milutinovic will be history, and by this time next week could be on his way home to Mexico. The US$2-million question is ‘Can we afford this on more than one level?’
    I agree that currently it points in that direction...but, Burrell has said he shall review 'everything' carefully and then act. Would not one action include Burrell and Bora arriving at some compromise? ...some renegotiation on salary and job responsibilities?

There is no doubt in my mind that Bora is the best coach we have ever had or can afford, and it would be best if the new administration would try to keep him instead of playing politics and sweep him out with the old administration simply because they hired him.
    Bora certainly has never been given the opportunity by the past administration to prove his suitability for our job!

Just imagine - if you can - that he has never even had our best players at his disposal for even 1 minute? Really now - he has never coached...been given our REGGAE BOYZ to prepare!

I hope the rumours of Simoes coming back are just that — rumours. Simoes has nothing to offer Jamaica right now, and the further away he stays, the better. The man cannot get a job anywhere, not even in a club system, and football has moved on since he was last here.
    Some of the info here is plain untruth!
    ...and, we could do worse than Simoes!

I am backing Burrell to revitalise our football...but, then what is new...even as at times I took Burrell to task, I have always kept the faith in him being able to deliver.

Damn right, the job needs a superman!
    FORWARD!

Aside:
    We shall also have a new treasurer.

PS: Still think it unlikely we shall qualify for the 2010 World Cup. Time to make TEAM is, in my opinion, waaaaaaaaaaaay too short!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      ...it would be best if the new administration would try to keep him instead of playing politics and sweep him out with the old administration simply because they hired him.
      Finally, I find it interesting when I see the respective FA presidents lining up to bash the outgoing administration, including many who voted for Boxhill and who were fed up with Burrell in 2003. It reminds me of a scene from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar when the Roman emperor said he would rather have fat men around him as the thin men spent too much time thinking and not enough time enjoying the free food. A lot of what we have heard are people scrambling to get to the head of the line for the pork barrel they hope will be opened soon.

Expect Burrell to do just that. He is going to want to get rid of any and everything that was put in place by the last administration.

Do you know that Simoes has coached only 3 national mens teams? Can you guess which ones?

Courtney Brown of the St. Elizabeth FA has played his part in bashing the outgoing administration. Can anyone name any team from St. Elizabeth that has accomplished anything, even respect, nationally, at any point in time? (Schools don't count. And wi talking football, not cricket.)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why does Burrell have to take office before putting out a plan? What's this nonsense about "he needs to get into the offices of the JFF and see what has been left there"?

I guess that's what Derrick Smith is doing in the Ministry of National Security.

Not saying that Burrell must present something on Sunday, but he had 4 years, hell SEVERAL years to think about a comprehensive plan for the nation's football. NO reason why we shouldn't have it very, very soon, like in his first week!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You noticed I ignored Karl's rantings? Maybe he has not taken his extra strength Geritol yet or he has taken it and his brain is still addled.

Courtney Brown's vote was bought very cheaply in 2003 and his dissaffection with the Boxhill administration started after a mix up with his ticket to go on a trip.

One thing I know and it is that Burrell is not fool but he knows enough to keep lackies like Brown and Everton Tomlinson close to him, as their loyalty come svery cheaply but they will never get any substantive post in his administration.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Karl might have also ignored the fact that Burrell has been making speeches from as far back as 16 months ago and hinting as to what he will do when he gets in office.

Therefore he must have plans in place, if I know Horace Reid as well, he too will have a blue print that he will start rolling out come Monday morning

Mek karl gwaan form the fool and think seh every body think like he does.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko, leave out the Geritol reference and gwaan wid yuh talk nuh man!

Courtney Brown is indeed a character. But I see somebody on the forum is quoting him in his signature. Sad.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Why does Burrell have to take office before putting out a plan? What's this nonsense about "he needs to get into the offices of the JFF and see what has been left there"?
                The point was...like the JLP lackies have done...a mere screaming about any particular leader "must do immediately"...does not make it necessary. Burrell has said he shall speak to certain issues just about immediately...and on others he shall be more cautious.

Again the point - Burrell decides! Not any other person or a set of persons!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Actually you are wrong, it is not up to Burrel alone to decide anything, that is why the JFF have committees to make the decisions...Burrell is not gifted with knowing the right answers to every problem in the football, if he did he would never have been voted out.

But Lord knows he does behave as if he alone have all the answers.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Oh! That was the point, Karl?!?! Okay!

Karl, crime needs an immediate solution. Our football needs an immediate solution. It's not like these two gentlemen have been thrust into a position they knew little about, or didn't anticipate taking over one day.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                      Actually you are wrong, it is not up to Burrel alone to decide anything, that is why the JFF have committees to make the decisions...Burrell is not gifted with knowing the right answers to every problem in the football, if he did he would never have been voted out.

But Lord knows he does behave as if he alone have all the answers.
                      What are you taking about?
                      I never said Burrell alone decides anything or everything? I did not "go there".

You could have said, I am making the point that the "shouting columists" of which I am sometimes one...have no power to "mus an boun" the leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Oh! That was the point, Karl?!?! Okay!

Karl, crime needs an immediate solution. Our football needs an immediate solution. It's not like these two gentlemen have been thrust into a position they knew little about, or didn't anticipate taking over one day.
                        They may well cry out for immediate solution(s)...but, the leaders in those areas should never feel that they must respond instantly to shouts on the topic. No boss, we need thoughtful deliberate action that WILL bring success!

Comment

Karl, we all know that columnists can't "mus' and boun'" anyone into action, especially premature action, but I would be very disappointed, as I am with Minister Smith, if Burrell had really not begun working on a plan because he is not yet in office.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The statement below takes away all credibility from this piece. Waste of space and time.

Comment

Care to answer my question, Jawge? Which 3 mens national teams has Simoes coached?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X