The Big Four turn their backs on 4-4-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Four turn their backs on 4-4-2

It's the classic English football formation – unless you happen to be Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea battling for the Premier League title.

Last weekend demonstrated a remarkable shift in the tactics of football. The 'Big Four' teams all elected to play a system which wasn't the classic English 4-4-2.

Sir Alex Ferguson kept with his flourishing, fluid 4-2-3-1 system which again demonstrated that, not only does it work, it gets the best out of Messrs Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo.

Avram Grant kept with Jose Mourinho's 4-3-3 stroke 4-5-1 formation to destroy a Manchester City team in good form. The crunch match at Anfield saw Rafa Benitez opt for a 4-3-3 to accommodate a three-pronged attack whilst his opposite number, Arsene Wenger, elected to start with a more conservative 4-1-4-1 system.

Early forms of the game when a pig’s bladder sufficed as a ball and teams were made up of villages in search of a legitimate brawl, there were no tactics as such as everyone focused on just attacking. Arguably, the same could be said of early formations – the emphasis was on attack, attack, attack.

The first international between England and Scotland in 1872, employed 15 out of the 22 players as forwards. By 1884 there was a greater emphasis on defence with the Preston North End team employing a 2-3-5 reverse pyramid strategy that was still in use up until 1940. However, the development of the offside law meant that tactics had to evolve.

Herbert Chapman, Wenger's only peer as Arsenal manager, was the first to adapt successfully by creating the WM system – three consecutive league titles are proof of his managerial acumen. In 1961 the double-winning Tottenham side used a 3-3-4 but this is one of the last formations to successfully employ such a number of genuine forwards. In recent years it has been 4-4-2 which has been the cornerstone of the British game. Manchester United used it continually throughout the 1990s, operating successfully with genuine wide players in David Beckham and Ryan Giggs. Arsenal, during their season of invincibility, also used this system. However, in the 21st century coaches are trying more and more systems.

Recently there has been a move away from the system used so vastly in English football. Big Sam Allardyce somewhat misguidedly declared that it was he who invented 4-5-1, which worked so effectively for him at Bolton. Jose Mourinho's 4-3-3 was a relatively fresh idea in the Premiership (although coaches such as Zdenek Zeman have used it in Italy for years). The Spanish national team used three genuine strikers in the 2006 World Cup with varying degrees of success, and now Spaniard Rafael Benitez is playing with the idea of using it at Liverpool.

He obviously has the firepower to do so and with the plethora of high-class central midfielders at his disposal it is an option he may well use throughout the season. Alex Ferguson, the man who has achieved everything in domestic football, belies the adage, “You can't teach an old dog new tricks.” His development of the 4-2-3-1 formation was much maligned in the press earlier in the season. His absence of a target man and claims that Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez could not operate together have all but been proved completely wrong – four goals in each of the last four matches tells its own story.

Credit has to be given to Ferguson, who dallied with formation change previously when Juan Sebastian Veron was brought to Old Trafford. It was not a success, so to try it again demonstrates great self belief. If United were to win the title this season then it could possibly be Fergie's greatest triumph.

The question is,what has prompted such a shift in tactics? I would argue that it is the development of the central midfielder. The two classic types of central midfielder are the hard-tackling, hard-working ones such as Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira, and the forward-pushing, goalscoring individuals such as Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard. However, the emergence of players such as Steven Gerrard, who can attack and defend ably, has led to a certain degree of confusion.

With Gerrard, his versatility has proved a headache for both his managers. At international level it is well documented that playing alongside Frank Lampard limits his attacking verve. However, at Liverpool not even Benitez is sure how to utilise Gerrard whilst keeping Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso and Momo Sissoko happy at the same time.

If Gerrard could adapt to the three-man midfield it could well benefit club and country. The other development has been the emergence of the deep-lying playmaker. Most prominent of these is AC Milan’s Andrea Pirlo but Michael Carrick and Alonso also fit into this category. However, due to their defensive weaknesses they are hard to accommodate in the standard 4-4-2.

Naturally, it would be blasé to claim that 4-4-2 is a thing of the past, as most clubs still employ the system, but with the development of individual players more exuberant formations may emerge, even if they are only slight variations of standard tactics.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    The crunch match at Anfield saw Rafa Benitez opt for a 4-3-3 to accommodate a three-pronged attack whilst his opposite number, Arsene Wenger, elected to start with a more conservative 4-1-4-1 system.
    Wow! And then you hear that some teams never play ANTI-football. Oooops! They were only "conservative" not anti!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Wow! And then you hear that some teams never play ANTI-football. Oooops! They were only "conservative" not anti!
      You haven't realized that Arsenal fans are dreamers? They all fool themselves that Arsenal alone play attacking football. Well, excepting MExx. Imagine they drew 1-1 with Liverpool and all of them, manager, players and fans acting as if they won the game.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Hey, the played Liverpool! Let them celebrate the draw!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Great article. 4-2-3-1 has been my formation of choice for the last 3 years. It allows you to be so versatile and gives your attacking players alot of freedom. If you have a true center forward it can really be something special. As well late runs coming from the two defensive mids are devastating for other teams to pick up. - T.K.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

It amazes me how the english like to take credit for all thing related to football. First of all 4-1-4-1 and 4-2-3-1 are all glorified 4-5-1. Henri Michel once said they are only 4 formations and everything else is a derivation. The 4-3-3 is a true and true dutch system. Continental managers with continental or international players are more apt to use these system.

Comment

at the start of the whistle; my
              teams looks like 4-4-2 but in the game a lot of interchanging
              and mixing (especially among key players) take place. I guess my game; where I allowed players to express themselves is causing problems now that they play at new teams. The players tell me that they are put in one position and can't interchange (for example: I would tell my right mid if you drift over to the left with the ball then the left mid should drift to right to fill the slot).

TK do you remember when I said your boy Freddie was being stifled at DC (not allowed to take risk and express himself?) I was told how the coach was INT'L yada yada. Look how he is enjoying himself now. As long as Lalas and others are the gate keeper to US soccer; the US will always be medicore in the game (they really think changing coaches will stop Brasil women from beating the women's team). Klinsman would show up all those
              coaches with a quick fast attacking team but guess what?

I can tell you this: give me some young players with the desire to learn and play the game and I can take on any of these coaches in the US (they will have to cheat me, mark my words on that)

Oh BTW; formation is overrarted

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
                Great article. 4-2-3-1 has been my formation of choice for the last 3 years. It allows you to be so versatile and gives your attacking players alot of freedom. If you have a true center forward it can really be something special. As well late runs coming from the two defensive mids are devastating for other teams to pick up. - T.K.
                4-4-2 and 4-3-3 are the staples! Players move about as the game dictates and then the press and those who like to play the fool claim all manner of nonsense formations. It is a wonder some ass does not claim - 2-2-2-2-2-1 or 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 is the 'mother of
                all formations'?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

karl some coaches live by formation
                  (especially in the US). Talk to players and you will hear how they are kept in a straight jacket. My team was beauty to watch; I once went up to play in the hudson valley and the coach for the team (Italian) came over and commended me. He said my team like to "play with the ball".AH mean they are fed a steady diet of Brasilian games (to the point where; players
                  when watching games start coamparing their numbers to that of kaka, dinho et al ) You would never see the day where I tell a player; do not go on the right, left is your position. No I will tell the other player to move over to the free slot (this is why as a Bay man; I strive for my players to use both feet. In my time: In Mobay yuh nuh balla if yuh can only use one foot, dem call yuh one stick).

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    at the start of the whistle; my
                    teams looks like 4-4-2 but in the game a lot of interchanging
                    and mixing (especially among key players) take place. I guess my game; where I allowed players to express themselves is causing problems now that they play at new teams. The players tell me that they are put in one position and can't interchange (for example: I would tell my right mid if you drift over to the left with the ball then the left mid should drift to right to fill the slot).

TK do you remember when I said your boy Freddie was being stifled at DC (not allowed to take risk and express himself?) I was told how the coach was INT'L yada yada. Look how he is enjoying himself now. As long as Lalas and others are the gate keeper to US soccer; the US will always be medicore in the game (they really think changing coaches will stop Brasil women from beating the women's team). Klinsman would show up all those
                    coaches with a quick fast attacking team but guess what?

I can tell you this: give me some young players with the desire to learn and play the game and I can take on any of these coaches in the US (they will have to cheat me, mark my words on that)

Oh BTW; formation is overrarted
                    Man....I used to use the 4-4-2 exclusively when I first started coaching. The biggest reason is that my team was never one of the stronger ones as I was just learning how to coach it was easier to have my team organize and ready to destroy then it was to allow them to create. That is how my earliest teams had success.

As I became much better known in the DC area and attracted stronger players I found the 4-4-2 to be very limiting. I had to find a way to open up the game for strong attacking players on my team as well as keep good team shape.

My first diversion from the 4-4-2 was going to the 3-4-3. Yes I copied Anson Dorrance. The problem I found with the 3-4-3 was that game became more about high pressing and winning physical battles then it did about showing any real quality. So whenever I would run into a team who was physically on par with my group we would get into trouble because of our inability to solve pressure. This was most evident when we would play the Texas or California teams.

From there I went to the 4-3-3 hoping for more balance but I was not able to counter attack very effectively as when my group would win the ball it seemed like they players were on an island. I would have my wingers many times going at 2 or 3 defensive players as the defenders did not have to worry about a threat coming from the center of the field.

Once I went to the 4-2-3-1 however I found a system of play that suited the type of players I was getting. Now instead of having out and out wingers who would be stranded by themselves 9 times out of 10 I had 3 attacking mids with a lone forward. Now whenever we win the ball we were a threat going down field and we always had numbers. I am not saying this is true for every coach I am just telling you what I found worked for me in the end.

I would suggest that any team that has more industry than innovation should play the 4-4-2 while teams with more innovation should play the 4-2-3-1.

Well Freddy no question was not allowed to take risk with DC United. Peter Nowak is simply not that kind of coach. Can't knock him as he was succesful with the team doing it his way. Unfortunatley for Freddy he came to the wrong group and that the wrong time. Not sure about Lalas being any gate keeper but the US has come a long way in a short time so they must be doing something right. As well things are not always static so to say that any team will always be mediocre is a stretch.

As for the Brazillian women they are much improved but to write off the US women is premature. They played like rubbish all WC and were still good enough to finish 3rd. If they can get their act together for next year they are still good enough to win a gold medal as is Brazil and Germany. Funny you bring Klinsmann because I was telling some of my coaching peers that the US should throw a a million and a half at Klinsmann and give him the women's team through the olympics.

As for you being able to beat any US coach.......impressive! I wish I could say the same for myself. There are alot of talented coaches in the DC area who I have learned much from and am still learning from.

Great insight into how you allow your players the freedom to make decisions on the field. You would not believe how much I still hear coaches instructing every move their players make during a match and then they want to complain when their kids don't take the initiative during a match. Or they complain that they don't have any creative players. Well duh....how do you expect them to develop the confidence to try things if everytime they touch the ball they are waiting for you voice to tell them what to do? - T.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      4-4-2 and 4-3-3 are the staples! Players move about as the game dictates and then the press and those who like to play the fool claim all manner of nonsense formations. It is a wonder some ass does not claim - 2-2-2-2-2-1 or 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 is the 'mother of
                      all formations'?
                      Yes Karl they are the staples. Really more important than any formation is the Principles of Play. I would say for any coach that taking a course specifically on Principles of Play will change the way you look at the game forever. 4-2-3-1 is a variation of the 4-3-3 yes. - T.K.

Comment

Thanks TK, it's good for
                        me (a junior coach) to learn from a much experienced coach as yourself.
                        As I said my team only take the 4-4-2 formation at the start of the whistle but during the game it varies to about 25 different formation. One underlying thing though is the triangle; this was used extensively in my last caoching. I wanted to develop the Brasilian diamond but didn't have enough technical players. Yes I always attack in mostly threes. Defence is akin to what Brasil did to Arg. in the Copa america ( I could do this because most of my players did tracks, hence they can come off an attack at rapid speed).

BTW nah tek back mi chat bout beating them coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                          BTW nah tek back mi chat bout beating them coaches.
                          I wouldn't dream of it! I was just stating where I was at. I definitely couldn't do it.

Hey man I have a couple of well known scalps myself. I like to harrass the Dead Bulls fans because I own their assistant/youth coach John Harkes. I am undefeated against he and his wife. 4 wins and 1 draw against Team Harkes baby! In your face Lazie and Jangle! LOL! - T.K.

Comment

With all being said...the only sensible statement is: 'football formation is overrated'.

Why?

Because the final formation (adjustment) is made on the field while the game is in progress...

Football formation as a topic is overrated. It just serves as good discussion over a glass of beer.
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                              With all being said...the only sensible statement is: 'football formation is overrated'.

Why?

Because the final formation (adjustment) is made on the field while the game is in progress...

Football formation as a topic is overrated. It just serves as good discussion over a glass of beer.
                              Sorry HL, formation is very important. I've seen it time and again last season with The Empire. There are games last season where Fergie applied the 4-4-1-1 with Rooney or Saha as the lone striker and the team struggled to create chances, then the team would transform with a 4-4-2 and boom. Nuh follow Jawge wid his argument bout formation is overrated. If thats the case why some teams don't play 2-4-4?

Comment

Working...
                              X