I am going to pull a JB and.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to pull a JB and.....

suggest a coach for the Reggae Boyz who we will not only get for a bargain but is comfortable with the avergae 3rd world culture.

That coach would be Fernando Clavijo coach of the Colorado Rapids. He believes the game should play in such a manner that would fit well with the Jamaican player and on top of that he is used to dealing with players who are challenges off the field. (Mathis, Cunningham are the two most glaring examples) Another plus is that he has coached for a club who refuses to spend money on players and has always fashioned teams from other team's cast offs reaching the conference finals on a number of occasions. Then add in that he has already had an experience with a national team who was in considerably more turmoil than the Reggae Boyz in Haiti he's been preparing his whole life to take a team like Jamaica to the WC.

Also he has been to the World Cup as an assistant coach for Nigeria to our current coach Bora Multinovic where the Nigerians reached the 2nd round finishing first in their group beating Spain nonetheless.

I do not believe that Jamaica needs the best coach right now. I believe that Jamaica needs a coach who is going to come in and respect the position. In short what they need is a real task master. Someone who is going to come in and get dirty and work through the idiosyncrasies that is the Reggae Boyz. He will put 100% into the job.

The only reason I bring this up is that his team missed the play offs this year and he is a guy we could get on a steal if released.

All this of course is assuming that Bora will be let go and we are still in the same financial situation. No I have not heard anything just throwing it out there. I am going the JB route and throwing my support behind Fernando Clavijo as the next coach of the Reggae Boyz. - T.K.
    Last edited by T.K.; October 29, 2007, 07:36 AM.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Any experience with youth systems or setting one up?

For once you have me thinking that is a good idea but tell me about his youth system and discipline.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Any experience with youth systems or setting one up?

For once you have me thinking that is a good idea but tell me about his youth system and discipline.
      I am not really into the idea of a coach of a national team setting up a youth system. In saying that I do not think he has any experience with youth. He would be strictly for building back up the prestige of the Reggae Boyz. He is a man who I believe will come in and leave the Boyz better off than when he left them. That is why I call him a task master. Coaches at the level of a Bora Multinovic are at their best when they are coaching ready made teams. Clavijo is at his best when he has to build from scratch. I hope he at least gets considered if he is fired and the powers that be are looking to unload Bora. - T.K.

Here is resume from the Rapids website:

Fernando Clavijo
      Head Coach

Fernando Clavijo, a former United States National Team defender who joined the Colorado Rapids as Head Coach in 2005, will lead the team for his third Major League Soccer season.

During his first two years at the helm of the team, Clavijo was able to gather a group of players that discovered their true potential and made it to the Western Conference Championship twice in a row, only to be defeated by the eventual MLS Champions, the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2005 and the Houston Dynamo in 2006.

Among the key acquisitions made by Clavijo were the successful signings of midfielders Dedi Ben-Dayan and Terry Cooke and forward Nicolas Hernandez. His well-trained eye for scouting talent brought to the Colorado young stars such as Jacob Peterson, Dan Gargan and Bouna Coundoul.

During his first season leading the team, Clavijo and his group, which included veteran players like Pablo Mastroeni, Mike Petke and Jovan Kirovski, amassed a 13-13-6 regular season record that qualified them to the playoffs. In the Western Conference Semifinals, the Rapids defeated FC Dallas in a home and home series that needed to go to penalty kicks to give the Rapids their first postseason series win in the Clavijo era.

During his second season, the team collected an 11-13-8 record and again defeated Dallas in a penalty kick shootout to win a spot in the 2006 Western Conference Championship.

Clavijo, a 15-year veteran player of the U.S. National Team, the American Soccer League, the North American Soccer League, and Major Indoor Soccer League, was elected to the US Soccer Hall of Fame on June 8, 2005, and was inducted on August 29 of the same year.

Clavijo most recently held the head coaching position with the Haitian National Team that participated in the first round of the 2006 World Cup Qualifiers. While in this role, Clavijo brought together scattered Haitian soccer talent from around the world and despite political turmoil in the country, was able to field a team that featured rising stars such as striker Jean Philippe Peguero. He led the team to a 2-1-1 record during the World Cup Qualifiers (10-2-2 overall) that left Haiti short of the Second Round.

During his MLS experience, Clavijo served three seasons as the head coach of the New England Revolution, from 2000 to 2002. With Clavijo at the helm, the Revolution produced some of their most impressive accomplishments.

In 1998, Clavijo served as an assistant coach and helped lead the Nigerian National Team to the World Cup in France, advancing to the Round of Sixteen, beating European heavyweights Spain and Bulgaria along the way.

Clavijo began his coaching career in 1989 while still a player, and began to focus full-time on coaching after his retirement at the age of 38, which took him to the Pacific Northwest in 1994. He was head coach of the expansion Seattle Seadogs of the Continental Indoor Soccer League (CISL), and in just three years, he led the Seadogs to an impressive 27-7 record and the CISL Championship. In recognition of this great accomplishment, he was named the 1997 Coach of the Year.

As a player, Clavijo has an equally impressive resume. After starting his professional career at the age of 16 in Uruguay, Clavijo and his wife, Martha, moved to the United States in 1979. At age 22, he began his professional career in the United States. During the 80’s, as a member of the NY Arrows, San Jose Earthquakes, San Diego Sockers, St. Louis Storm and the Los Angeles Lazers, Clavijo was one of the top players in the history of the North American Soccer League (NASL) and the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL). He was named to the All-Star Team 12 times, while also being tabbed the MISL Defender of the Year on three occasions. In 1990, MISL named him its player of the decade for the 1980’s. In 1994, his dream of playing in a World Cup came true, as he started and played the full 90 minutes in the U.S.A.’s historic upset of Colombia in the 1994 USA World Cup.

Comment

Nuff man a gol kill me but, I think our chances of going to Africa is now dim, and too many players near and in them 30s so we need to get a proper youth system in place.

Other than that he seems to be a decent coach.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Nuff man a gol kill me but, I think our chances of going to Africa is now dim, and too many players near and in them 30s so we need to get a proper youth system in place.

Other than that he seems to be a decent coach.
          Not the ages of the players...but, TOO LITTLE TIME to assemble and make TEAM!

...still...it shall be interesting to see how 'near' the TEAM will get to full potential!!!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Any good team needs a mix. Some young guns without fear and self belief and some old foot with wise heads.

Comment

My choices are as follows, though not necessarily in that order:

Bruce Arena
              John Barnes
              Ruud Gullit
              Big Sam
              Zinho
              Luther Blissett
              Paul Caliguiri
              Geoffrey Maxwell
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

dat will not work out.The Lone Avenue for 2010 is Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepsi View Post
                  dat will not work out.The Lone Avenue for 2010 is Brazil.
                  Pepsi yu rastafari! Afta I jus' big yu up to rhatid is diss yu ago diss mi? - T.K.

Comment

do not take this the wrong way But an american coach cannot handle RBZ.

Comment

Working...
                    X