• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simoes denies applying for Bermuda coaching job

Simoes denies applying for Bermuda coaching job
    published: Saturday | October 27, 2007

Ainsley Walters, Freelance Writer

Simoes

RENE SIMOES, the Brazilian coach, who led Jamaica to the 1998 World Cup finals in France, has flatly denied a Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) report, naming him as an applicant for the post of Bermudan technical director.

The article, which appeared in yesterday's edition of The Gleaner, was captioned 'Simoes eyes top job in Bermuda'.

The former Jamaican coach, who also had a stint with Trinidad and Tobago's national side, was named alongside Jamaican-born, former Liverpool and England star, John Barnes, by the Royal Gazette newspaper as being among candidates for the job.

Misleading
    However, Simoes, responding to the report, via email, described the story as 'misleading'.
    "I have been informed and questioned about this article and found it to be very misleading as I have not applied for, nor indicated any interest in a coaching job in Bermuda," he wrote.
    "I have also not been contacted by the Bermuda Federation with an offer for such position. I'm currently coaching Coritiba Football Club in a championship in Brazil, and the team is leading in the competition with a few games remaining."

Captain Horace Burrell, who was ousted as Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) president by Crenston Boxhill in 2003, brought the Brazilian to Jamaica in 1994 and embarked on a successful campaign, leading to World Cup qualification. Amid Jamaica's plunging international football fortunes, Boxhill has indicated he will not seek a second term in office.

Simoes did not indicate what his future plans were but speculation is rife that the Brazilian could be a part of Burrell's promise of "sweeping changes" as he is set to be elected JFF president on November 4. The decorated Serb, Bora Milutino-vic, currently coaches Jamaica's Reggae Boyz and is reportedly being paid a annual salary of US$1m in a four-year deal.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X