X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone notice the major moves in

the sportswear sector?
    1. Nike just bought Umbro.
    2. PPR of France bought Puma (wasn't aware it was GErman).
    3. Adidas bought Reebok.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Always knew Puma and ADIDAS were German brands, if I am not mistaken the founder of ADIDAS died without a heir but had sold the company to some Americans before he died.

I have or had some concerns with Reebok back in the days..it was supposed to be an English based company but had strong ties to Apartheid South Africa, I also noticed that the word 'bok' existed only in Afrikaans and was an animal indigenous to Southern Africa.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      Always knew Puma and ADIDAS were German brands, if I am not mistaken the founder of ADIDAS died without a heir but had sold the company to some Americans before he died.

I have or had some concerns with Reebok back in the days..it was supposed to be an English based company but had strong ties to Apartheid South Africa, I also noticed that the word 'bok' existed only in Afrikaans and was an animal indigenous to Southern Africa.
      Well, a reebok is a type of deer found in Africa.

And the story is, I think you might know, the founders of adidas (Adolf Dassler) and Puma (Rudolph Dassler) are brothers.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I did not know that...about the brothers that is, any reason they did not go into business together, that might be the story right there..
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

did not know that. Nike buying umbro is a bit strange.

Comment

Why you said that? I figure that it could be a strategic business move to gain more in that market, Umbro is a big name in England and certain parts of Europe.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

What a ting like Wikipedia eeh. Can mek wi look like we know.
              Wazzup Mo?
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I have no problem using Google and Wikipedia, but that story about Puma and adidas is old news. By the way, Adolf's nickname was Adi, hence the name of the shoe.

I believe the brothers were not just shoe rivals but they hated each other's guts. I will need to check with Google if this was true.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X