• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing captain Jermaine Taylor would have been a liability,

Missing captain Jermaine Taylor would have been a liability, says Downswell
    Paul Reid
    Saturday, October 13, 2007

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - Central defender Jermaine Taylor, who captained the Jamaican Olympic team at the start of the first round of the Olympic Qualifying in Aruba, is a noticeable absentee at the second round here in Port-Au-Prince.
    TAYLOR.physical condition was not where the coaching staff wanted it to be
    The Harbour View player is widely regarded as one of the top players in the country and was expected to take his place in the team as they try to qualify for the third and final stage.
    When questioned as to the player's absence, coach Wendell Downswell told Sporting World yesterday that Taylor's and Waterhouse's Mario Harrison's physical condition was not where the coaching staff wanted it to be and thus they were not chosen for this tour.
    Downswell said the players had not done enough to maintain their fitness levels and as such they would be a liability if they were taken on tour and were not able to perform as had happened in their recent tournaments.
    "Their conditions are suspect," Downswell explained. Taylor, he said, had been taken on "several tours, three tours now and he broke down. We can only take 18 players and when we looked at him and Mario, we were not satisfied with their (physical) conditioning, as it relates to the team and that is the main reason."
    There has been talk in some circles about Taylor's attitude on the recent tour to Aruba, but Downswell dismissed it. "I wouldn't say that was a major concern, it is just the conditioning. He did not play on the Asia tour and he broke down in training when we had them in Jamaica, after we played Harbour View (in a practice match)."
    Taylor did play the first game against Indonesia on the gruelling four-nation tour of Asia in late June through to early July, but injury forced him out of the remaining three games against Vietnam, Malaysia and Iran.
    Downswell said they got just "30 minutes out of him" in Aruba, adding that "we brought on Mario for 30 minutes (in Aruba), but it was a disaster in terms of their physical conditioning".
    When asked if the clubs were to be blamed for the players' lack of conditioning, the coach said not so. "We can't blame clubs, players must learn that when they are in the national programme they have a responsibility to keep themselves in good physical condition.
    "Look at the national programme, how many times we have them each year? And if they form an integral part of the programme it is their responsibility that they are in good physical condition at all times," he added.
    However, having cited Taylor's physical conditioning as the main reason for his absence from this team, it remains a mystery why the Harbour View Football Club was approached by the JFF to make the player available for selection to the senior Reggae Boyz squad which was scheduled to play an international friendly against Ghana.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

very ironic, pity you couldn't talk to Taylor or HV.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That would have had to be the people in Jamaica but how do you ignore the fact that he keeps breaking down again and again?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

well I said the whole thing is Ironic if he is named in the squad for Ghana.

Is he currently playing for his club?

I didn't ignore it, and what is mean't by breaking down? Is it injury? a mental thing or what is his exact problem?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass, there is more to this story. And you are right - how is he named to the national squad but not the U-23?

I missed the part where Sickko said that efforts to contact Taylor to get his side of the story were unsuccessful. Can you help me with that, Sickko?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well I just saw that part in my story...I never put it there, I am in Haiti and I dont have Taylor's number to call him.

But I have heard stories too, him demanding money all the time, even before the team leaves Jamaica.

This is nothing new to jamaica's football and it happned all the time even under Burrell's tenure.

People are sayting it seems he is more focussed on the money than on playing for the country but once again...how do you ignore the fact that he played just 30 minutes in Aruba...do you risk taking him here and he breaksdown again?
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Not going to bat for him more than how I'm batting now. I don't believe I have the complete story either, and I will give the coach the benefit of the doubt.

Pardon the misinfo on Cousins.

Hopefully, Burrell will put an end to this money issue. Every trip seems to bring with it these sorts of arguments.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what is a breakdown? Is it injury? A bus breakdown.

Comment

He seems to last 90 minutes just fine with Harbour View, so I don't know about that "breakdown" problem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Once again he cant control and all he does is boot the ball upfield. When he tries to pass the ball out of defense he give it away. Give up Mo.

Comment

Where in this thread was I bigging up the qualities of Jermaine Taylor? I will state my like or dislike of him on another occasion, but did I do that here?

And from your description of him, I am not sure you know him at all!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X