X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Scaly: Jol: We're getting closer

Jol: We're getting closer

(FIFA.com) Monday 14 May 2007

The English Premiership ended on Sunday and despite all the expectations at the beginning of the season, Tottenham Hotspur still were not able to break the monopoly of the big four and, for the second year in a row, finished in fifth place.

However, it is no secret that Spurs have improved tremendously over the guidance of Martin Jol. A fans' favourite at White Hart Lane, the Dutch manager has not only given stability to the side, but has made them play with a certain style, which has made them one of England's most attractive teams to watch.

Affable, intelligent and profound, the Dutch coach spoke with FIFA.com on a variety of topics, including his belief that the Netherlands team from the 1974 FIFA World Cup™ mirrors his own in north London.

FIFA.com: You have had two fifth place finishes and some splendid matches in this last couple of years, but Tottenham are still a step away from the big four. What do you need to finally get there?
    Martin Jol: I believe it is only a few little things. Sometimes you need a player like Ledley King, a Dennis Bergkamp or a Steven Gerrard. It would be a great bonus and to our squad if someone like Adel Taarabt or Jamie O'Hara came through the ranks and has a great impact on our squad. If not, you have to try and find them somewhere else and that is not easy.

Would Arsenal have been so successful over the last decade if Thierry Henry had not been there, or Liverpool without Gerrard? It is about having a very good and stable foundation, but also about producing one or two exceptional players.

You have been almost two and a half years in charge at Tottenham, what's your assessment of this period?
    I feel that the main thing is that you work to a plan - and the plan is that you make steps all the time. You want to get better in all departments and then you will also improve your results.

In my first year we got 52 points, 65 last season and 60 this year, but the difference is we have competed in all the cup competitions. That was a big step forward for the club as well.

If you consider that we have now taken part in five quarter-finals, then you could say that we have made little steps all the time. It is about the players and I think everybody has got to agree that we have assembled a squad of fine players.

The team, has, nevertheless, played exciting football lately, scoring lots of goals but conceding quite a few as well. Is that the way you like your teams to play?

If you saw us last season, we played with a different style. We were more compact and more solid with two controlling midfield players, allowing everybody else to attack.

This year, we decided to sacrifice a defending midfielder, which made us a little more vulnerable. We have also lacked a bit of size when it comes to dealing with set pieces. I can specifically remember the goals we conceded from corners and free kicks last season, but I can't this time because there have been far too many.

If we can stop conceding silly goals we will be ok because we are playing better football and we have more talent in the squad. However, an increase in talent doesn't automatically get you better results. What we have to do is find the perfect combination of playing attacking football and getting good results.

As opposed to most top teams in the Premiership, you have a very solid base of young English players. Do you think this is important for the team's identity?
    I have always been somebody who believes in a strong spine and last season we had great English players like Paul Robinson, Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Michael Carrick, Jermaine Jenas and Jermain Defoe - plus Robbie Keane who is Irish. After selling Carrick it has been a little bit different, but our first objective is to develop or recruit English or British players. If they are not available we have to look elsewhere, but we do try to look in England first as we proved with Aaron Lennon and Tom Huddlestone.

Is it true that you always dreamed about becoming manager of Spurs?
    It was more of an ambition of mine. Lots of people tell you, when they come to England, that they supported the club and always wanted to join them. For me, I said on a programme on Dutch television in 2000 that I would love to come back to England and manage Spurs. It is not a story, it is fact.

Tottenham is a team with great history, which is renowned for playing an attractive style of football. Was carrying on these traditions important to you?
    Of course, because in the Netherlands there is only one way to play and that is attractively. You have to entertain the people and that is a principle. Results are important as well, so you have to mix both things.

As a foreigner working in England, what is your opinion of the Premier League? Do you think it is the best in the world at the moment?
    I think it is the strongest in the world, while the most attractive is the Spanish league.

You grew up as a player in the Netherlands watching the 1974 Dutch team and its concept of 'total football.' How did that influence you?
    All I can say to answer that is 'look at Spurs.' The only three players in our team who are not going forward are the keeper (and even he scores goals!) and the central defenders. That is one thing I would like to do in the future: I would like my centre halves to play more attacking football. In my team everybody can go forward and everybody has to defend.

Which non-Spurs players would you love to coach?
    I never like to talk about other players, but I would love to coach Gerrard because I think he is the best player in England. I am also a big fan of Ronaldo. You also need players like John Terry, who feel so responsible that won't let anybody down. But I have always said that, pound for pound, Gerrard is the best player over here.

Do you have any hobbies, something that you really enjoy besides football?
    I like playing tennis in the summer with my family and I love watersports - I have a couple of jet-skis. I also like reading and I collect art - although I am not an expert!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X