X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 x 4: 'Mistakes cost Jamaica a medal'

'Mistakes cost Jamaica a medal'

Anthony Foster , Freelance Writer

Bert Cameron...4x400m coach at 2007 World Champs.

National 400m champion Sanjay Ayre believes technical mistakes were made which cost Jamaica a 4x400m medal at the 11th IAAF World Championships in Osaka, Japan earlier this month.

Responding to the Foster's Focus column, written in last Thursday's Gleaner, Ayre, said: "I felt like technical mistakes were made"
    He said after suffering from cramps in the 400 semi-finals he was asked to run a 150m time trial at 95% to prove his fitness, which he complied.
    Ayre said he covered the 150m distance in 15 seconds flat, the night before the heats of the 4x400m relays.

"I suggested to coach (Bertland) Cameron to run Danny McFarlane in the heats considering he already had three days rest after the completion of the 400m hurdles, and rest me for the relay finals," he added.

Ayre believes it was wrong to run him in the heats. "I felt running that 15 second 150m and a 44.6 seconds split in the relay semi-finals was too much for my hamstring."

Ayre, who won his first national 400m title at June's National Championships, said this would not have happened if Cameron had taken his advice.

"Also, after the relay heats I was very impressed with (Leford) Green's run. I went to Cameron and suggested Green stay on for the finals and he agreed," continued Ayre.

He said he also requested inclusion of McFarlane for Blackwood this after the latter could only manage 46 seconds in the heats and looked flat on the first leg.

Nothing against Blackwood
    Ayre, the captain of the 4x400m relay team, was quick to make it clear that he had nothing against Blackwood, "but that was everyone's observation".

According to Ayre, Cameron told the relay squad at a meeting that 'there wasn't a better option than the four guys that ran the heats'.

When contacted on Monday, Cameron said Ayre was just trying to find an excuse for his poor performance.

Cameron said Ayre should not be talking because he came into the camp on August 23 for a race on the 27th.
    "Sanjay (Ayre) wanted to dictate who should run on the team," Cameron added.
    "He wanted me to replace Michael Blackwood, who is one of (Jamaica's) best lead-off men, with Danny McFarlane," he said.

In closing, Ayre said: "I just want to make it clear to everyone, I didn't feel my injury during warm ups before the final race but as soon as I took the stick and sprinted my first 50 metres I started feeling severe cramps.

Lot of sacrifice
    "I tried to hold on for a medal. I was running in a lot of discomfort, but I never considered stopping because it was the last race of the championship..."

He continued: "I have taken a lot of criticism for my relay performance. It was a tough World Championship for me because of injury. I made a lot of sacrifice to be successful in Osaka.

"My preparation was great. I paid all expenses for my personal massage therapist and coach to accompany me to the Championships," he said to underline how serious he was going into the Championships.
    With Ayre running the final leg Jamaica finished fourth in the 4x400m in 3:00.76 after being in second spot 100 metres out. The United States won in 2:55.56 with Bahamas second in 2:59.18. Poland were third in 3:00.05.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Yup!
    Cameron made a mistake, Ayre should not have been on that final team!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

yuh think that is the truth and the whole truth?
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

i think mcfarlane's outburst after the 400 hurdles effectively made him persona non grata with cameron....macfarlane should have played a role ...either in the heats or in the final...his exclusion was no surprise to me however.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          i think mcfarlane's outburst after the 400 hurdles effectively made him persona non grata with cameron....macfarlane should have played a role ...either in the heats or in the final...his exclusion was no surprise to me however.
          If that was so i.e. the outburst caused an action to be taken that was not in the interest of Jamaica...then that was extremely poor management! In situations such as you suggest 'heads should roll'!

Comment

Danny Mc should have been on that deh relay squad. Personally, I would have taken him over Sanjay anyday. We know that Davian Clarke was unavailable for health reasons, but Danny is a serious bredda pon a relay. A suh mi seet it!!

But cho, mi caan bodda hot up mi nerves Mi a get too ole fi cuss and galang bad!!
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
              Danny Mc should have been on that deh relay squad. Personally, I would have taken him over Sanjay anyday. We know that Davian Clarke was unavailable for health reasons, but Danny is a serious bredda pon a relay. A suh mi seet it!!

But cho, mi caan bodda hot up mi nerves Mi a get too ole fi cuss and galang bad!!
              Yuh staaart save fi beijing yet?
              ...dat dere mussi nuf money? ...an mussi nuff-nuff planning fi tek care a logistics?

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Yuh staaart save fi beijing yet?
                ...dat dere mussi nuf money? ...an mussi nuff-nuff planning fi tek care a logistics?
                Right now, I don't have the China vibes - everything & every piece of news has turned me off of going there - smog, price, food yuh name it
                Our events tickets have been ordered though. My uncle is looking into accommodation, unlike Athens, I'm not taking any active role. My girlfriend is also looking, and the prices she has been quoted are outrageous. Not to mention they want all the $$ upfront - wired to them, and no refund if you cancel.

Dem can keep dem Beijing and mi keep my $$. Me prepared to buy a nice 42" TV Matter of fact next year is my 25th Anniv. wid the company, and the gift options include a TV.
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                  Right now, I don't have the China vibes - everything & every piece of news has turned me off of going there - smog, price, food yuh name it
                  Our events tickets have been ordered though. My uncle is looking into accommodation, unlike Athens, I'm not taking any active role. My girlfriend is also looking, and the prices she has been quoted are outrageous. Not to mention they want all the $$ upfront - wired to them, and no refund if you cancel.

Dem can keep dem Beijing and mi keep my $$. Me prepared to buy a nice 42" TV Matter of fact next year is my 25th Anniv. wid the company, and the gift options include a TV.
                  Re: Beijing
                  May be a good option! ...but, mi kno yuh luv yuh T&F bad-bad!

Re: TV
                  American TV are doing a far better job of providing coverage than say when I came here in the 90s. Then if an American was not in the event, 'black-out'.

...there is also excellent coverage on the net. High speed cable broadband makes everything crystal clear.

Comment

Come back to Jamaica for the best Olympics coverage! Yuh dun know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Come back to Jamaica for the best Olympics coverage! Yuh dun know!
                      Im tan rite yah suh watch Jamaica TV dem! ...an a lis-en tuh di Jamaica radio dem!

Comment

yuh nuh like chinse food?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Okay sah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X