Twenty20 Cricket - the saviour!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twenty20 Cricket - the saviour!

Like I said, test cricket is a dying sport. Jack Warner and I agree on this. I have long said that the cricket folk were going to have to do something to spice up the game and it looks like they have.

I wouldn't doubt if this version becomes more popular than all other versions of this sport. I just watched Yuvraj Singh (a suh him name?) hit the fastest 50 off 12 balls. In one over, he hit 6 straight sixes - pure excitement.

Of course, that can happen in any other version of the game, but the chances...?

Pity Courtney not here to discuss this.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Yeah. They should wear tight pants and chew on tobacco too

Comment

Hey, to each his own!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree that this version of the game is probably the one that will as you say be the saviour of the sport. Last year's Stanford 20/20 was all sold out and hugely successful.

Personally, I like the one day game as it still has some of the elements of Test Cricket and it's all over in a day. 20/20 though is most practical for modern times; don't have to take a day off work, TV considerations, and of course plenty yamlikkin.

pr
        Peter R

Comment

Yes it may turn off the cricket purist but it certainly has the elements to break new ground for the game. The purists thought one-day cricket was a joke too and if it wasn't for that cricket would probably already be dead.

Test cricket at its best is full of drama but too many games end up as tame draws and it just doesn't fit well with modern professional sports.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Unuh tell mi suppen. How different is 20/20 from the other two? You talking to a man who has not seen a cricket match in almost 20 years.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tlla,In 20/20 scoring at six runs an over is considered pedestrian. Seven runs an over or better is more like it. Consider Windies v South Africa recently. we put up 205 (I believe) in our 20 overs, Chris Gayle scoring the first ever century in this version of the game witrh TEN sixes included in his innings!

Basically, it is a slug fest with the bat and provides plenty of action for the spectators. We scored at more than 10 runs per over, with the fireworks usually in the last say eight depending on how many wickets you have in hand. Windies lost the game tho' as SA provided fireworks of their own along with sloppy Windies cricket.

The game has a duration of about 3 hours.

The final match in teh 20/20 WC saw India play Pakistan. India batted first and made 156 (?) or 157...Anyway, it was an exciting game as Pakistan were bowled out for 152 with four balls to spare. Not all matches of course are that close but when you have ten wickets in hand and only twenty overs the result is plenty action.

One day or 50 over per side cricket scores at about 5 to 6 runs an over, while in Test cricket 4 runs per over is considered a blistering run rate.

Watch for more 20/20.

pr
              Peter R

Comment

Thank you sir. I now get it.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  Thank you sir. I now get it.

more of a 'yam lick' type cricket!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                    X