this is news to me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is news to me.....

At the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, Smith was involved in the most controversial Olympic 100 m final of all time and ended-up receiving the Bronze Medal. Ben Johnson of Canada crossed the line first, with Lewis second, Linford Christie of Great Britain third, and Smith fourth. But Johnson then tested positive anabolic steroids and was stripped of his Gold Medal. Smith was thus upgraded to the Bronze Medal position. The race has been called the dirtiest race in history, as Lewis later admitted to having tested positive three times in that years trials, and Christie's urine also contained metabolites of a banned substance after the race

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Me too! Was Raymond Stewart in this race? Maybe he should been given the gold medal!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

eventually him wi get it, time a di master!!! btw that have been slowest 100 in history..... 20+ years to win the gold??

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Don't worry, there is always Asafa.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            At the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, Smith was involved in the most controversial Olympic 100 m final of all time and ended-up receiving the Bronze Medal. Ben Johnson of Canada crossed the line first, with Lewis second, Linford Christie of Great Britain third, and Smith fourth. But Johnson then tested positive anabolic steroids and was stripped of his Gold Medal. Smith was thus upgraded to the Bronze Medal position. The race has been called the dirtiest race in history, as Lewis later admitted to having tested positive three times in that years trials, and Christie's urine also contained metabolites of a banned substance after the race
            and funny thing is I heard that then, but the "stimulant" wasn't banned at the time is what I remember and also many thought it was just sour grapes from certain camps. Canadians were quick to throw that theory around to appease their dis..... add the word
            In THIS time I have learnt, that Asafa is (not will) ONE of THE GREATS.
            In time you, Gamma, you will learn that.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

if he wins a major medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                if he wins a major medal.
                I know my Jamaicans, paint this picture.
                Suppose
                Asafa didn't have the WORLD RECORD as the FASTEST HUMAN EVER, no 9.77 or 9.74, but had the World Champs gold and NADA ELSE!!! always "choking" at the 100m Olympics. Would you be appeased that he AT LEAST IS A 100m World Champ?

Be truthful now...

There is more pride and recognition for World Record holders except at the .....

He will be like Raymond Stewart,good Jamaican patriot, mine a couple a minor medals and DAS IT!!!.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

For me, the Olympics is it. I would rather him have an Olympic gold and no world record. Not fussy about the worlds, for some reason.

I think.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes i would be appeased! btw i resent the "be truthful now" statement and what it implies!!

VC has no world records and i tremendously "appeased" with what she has achieved....i am more "appreased" with her than i am with asafa.

world records come and go...it may be fleeting but championship titles remain forever and ray stewart still has those medals!

question for you....are you more appeased with powell than campbell?

the immortal season....it would have meant much less if afetr all of that the gunners did not win the title.

Comment

The Olympics is the ultimate because everyone follows it but the Worlds is VERY highly regarded by everyone who follows track and field seriously.

The situation Mexx has described is not a practical one. If you are a choker you are most likely going to choke at both the Worlds and the Olympics and if you have a problem repeating through the rounds you are going to have it at both meets.

The problem Asafa has now is that he has not won the RESPECT as a great because he has not been able to do it when it counts the most. Even worse, he did not just get beat by a better man on the day doing something extraordinary , he GAVE UP!!

To compare Quarrie in the 1976 100m to that is ridiculous. For one it was one of his best times if not his absolute best time over the 100m (electronic) and he was rright there at the finish. Plus he came back to win gold in the 200m , his PET EVENT which Crawford also ran in by the way.

If Asafa can rid himself of his deamons and win something big he can no doubt be rightfully seen as one of the greats but he is not there right now.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Just one gold medal at the world or Olys and he would arguably go down as the best sprinter in history. Not too arguably either!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Would not go that far because for one he has not done anything in the 200m. I suspect you meant best 100m sprinter though. With a single gold I would rank him among the best ever but you still would have some serious arguments to give him the nod ahead of people like Jesse Owens. He would have to win more than one major gold for me to give him the G.O.A.T. title.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

With the kinds of times he is doing, he would the best sprinter ever for me. The man has equalled the world record twice and set a world record twice. Unheard of! Most sub-10s in history (if he doesn't have that record yet he most certainly will) and we can go on and on.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

but like all records.......silverware now.....

Comment

Working...
                              X