X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter beats Bolt, Sanya Richards sets world best in 400

Carter beats Bolt

Saturday, September 08, 2007

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - American 400-metre runner Sanya Richards set a world best time in winning the Weltklasse Golden League meet yesterday, staying in the race for the million-dollar (euro740,000) Golden League Jackpot.

Her countrywoman Michelle Perry's hopes of a share of the money ended when she finished only third in the women's 100m hurdles. But Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva - fresh from defending her World Championship title at Osaka, Japan - won her event and is the only other athlete still in the chase.

The jackpot is split among athletes who win their selected event in all six Golden League meets.

Xavier Carter (right) from the US makes his way to win the Men's 100-metre race ahead of Usain Bolt (centre) from Jamaica, and Johan Wissman from Sweden at the Weltklasse Golden League athletics meeting in the new Letzigrund stadium in Zurich, Switzerland, yesterday. See details on Pages 10 & 11 inside Sporting World. (Photo: AP)

Richards, who failed to qualify for her premiere event at the worlds in Osaka, won in 49.36 on the new Letzigrund track, which organisers billed as "the fastest in the world".

World bronze medallist Novlene Williams of Jamaica was second in 50.85, while Senegal's Amy Mbacke Thiam was third in 50.95. Newly crowned world champion Christine Ohuruogu of Britain was only fourth, 1.96 off the winning pace.

"I expected a fast race because I wanted to attack my personal best," said Richards, who has a 48.70 PB. "Entering the final straight, I didn't know they were so far behind. It was mentally tough for me tonight, but I was ready to pull out a great victory. It was my world championships today."

After Zurich, the Golden League season continues with meets in Brussels and Berlin. If no athlete wins in all six meets, those with five victories are awarded their share of half the original prize - US$500,000 (euro368,500).

Wallace Spearmon (right) of the US, hands over the baton to fellow team member Tyson Gay (second from right), as Jamaica's Dwight Thomas (left) does the same with Chris Williams during the 4x100-metre relay race at the Weltklasse Golden League athletics meeting in the new Letzigrund stadium in Zurich, Switzerland, yesterday. The US.won the relay race ahead of Jamaica. (Photos: AP)

Despite her costly disappointment, Perry gamely hugged Swedish winner Susanna Kallur, who finished in 12.66. World bronze medallist Delloreen Ennis-London of Jamaica was second in 12.68. Perry finished third with the same time. World championships finalist Vonette Dixon was ninth in 12.98 seconds.

The victory offered a measure of redemption for Kallur, who finished out of the medals in Osaka.

Francis Obikwelu of Portugal won a depleted 100m race in 10.17, ahead of Britain's Marlon Devonish, who finished in 10.20. Jaysuma Saidy Ndure of Norway was third in 10.20.

"I didn't start so well," Obikwelu said. "The victory was very important for me, but I want to run against the top guys."

Organisers saw their banner race fall apart after newly minted world champion Tyson Gay and silver medallist Derrick Atkins withdrew from the race, both citing tiredness.

The evening began with French athletes sweeping the first two major races after Osaka, where France failed to win a single event. The French collected just two silver medals at worlds, in the men's pole vault and 50-kilometre race walk.

Two-time European champion Mehdi Baala won the 1,500m immediately before Christine Arron triumphed in the women's 100m.

Baala won with a pedestrian time of 3:38.62. Tarek Boukensa of Algeria was second in 3:38.84, while Daniel Kipchirchir Komen of Kenya was third in 3:38.96.

The victory helped make up for a disappointing World Championship campaign for Baala, who was disqualified in the 1,500 semi-finals for obstructing Moroccan Youssef Baba as they jostled for position down the home stretch. Baba was given a place in the final.

"It was hard for me after Osaka," Baala said. "I came home and everybody was telling me 'you are the best'. So it was very important for me to win today. I had a very simple plan. My coach told me to stay in the middle of the pack and then to attack at the end."

Alan Webb fared little better than at the worlds, fading in the last 200 metres and finished only seventh in 3:39.69. In Osaka, Webb led most of the way, but also fizzled out on the home stretch and ended up eighth.
    Arron, who was recovering from injury at the worlds and finished a disappointing sixth, led from start to finish to win in 11.17. Torri Edwards was runner-up in 11.22, with Carmelita Jeter third in 11.24. Lauryn Williams, the 2005 world champion who lost a photo finish to Jamaica's Veronica Campbell in Osaka, placed only seventh, 0.07 off the winning pace.

"It was for me a small revenge after Osaka," Arron said.
    "It was especially nice to win this inaugural race," she said of the new stadium. "The piste is good, but it's tough to say if it's fast because everyone is tired from worlds and not necessarily on form."
    Edwards said she found the new track "quite slow".

"It's new so the track is still quite thick. I prefer it when it's a bit worn," she said.

Xavier Carter, who failed to qualify for Osaka because of a right leg injury sustained in June at the US championships, won the 200 in 19.92, beating world silver medallist Usain Bolt who was runner-up in 20.19. Sweden's Johan Wissman was third in 20.47, while Jamaicans Marvin Anderson (20.55) and Christopher Williams (20.75) were sixth and seventh, respectively.

"It's good to be back on the track, a very good feeling," Carter said. "The time is no surprise to me because I was working hard at the World Championships."

Bernard Lagat, the first man to sweep the 1,500 and 5,000 at a single World Championships, won a tactically perfect race in the 3,000.
    The Kenyan-born Lagat, who was granted US citizenship in 2004, won in 7:38.77. Edwin Soi of Kenya was second in 7:39.02, while Moses Kipsiro of Uganda was third in 7:39.69.

Lagat took the lead going into the final lap, before letting Soi pass him with about 250 metres to go. But the 32-year-old Lagat surged past Soi on the home stretch to win comfortably in a repeat of his tactical victories at the worlds.

The US men won the 4x100 in 38.40. Jamaica finished second as they did in Osaka - but this time without Asafa Powell - as the team of Dwight Thomas, Williams, Anderson and Bolt clocked 38.82. Germany were third in 39.12.
    Last edited by Karl; September 8, 2007, 09:56 AM.
Working...
X