RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'I've achieved a lot' Campbell expresses satisfaction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I've achieved a lot' Campbell expresses satisfaction...

'I've achieved a lot' Campbell expresses satisfaction after winning 200m silver
    published: Saturday | September 1, 2007

Elton Tucker, Assistant Editor - Sports

United States' Allyson Felix crosses the finish line to win the gold medal in the women's 200m final at the World Athletics Championships in Osaka, Japan, yesterday. At left is Jamaica's silver medal winner, Veronica Campbell. - AP

Osaka, Japan:
    Veronica Campbell clocked a season-best 22.34 seconds last night to pocket her second medal of the 11th IAAF World Championships in Osaka, Japan.
    Campbell, the 100m gold medallist, was runner-up to the outstanding 21-year-old American, Allyson Felix, who clocked a personal best, world leading 21.81 for gold.

The time is the fastest registered for the distance in over eight years and beat by a long way her previous best of 22.11.

The 100 metres champion went out fast and led the field into the straight but Felix changed gears 40 metres from the line and won going away from Campbell. The bronze medal went to veteran Sri Lankan sprinter Susathika Jayasinghe in 22.63, while Jamaica's Aleen Bailey was sixth in 22.72.

Campbell said it was a great race and she was satisfied with her performance. "I have achieved a lot at these championships and I have got to be grateful. I think I did all I could do (in the 200m)," said Campbell. Felix was ecstatic.

GLORIOUS CHANCE
    "I feel so good, I am so excited. Tonight is special. I have been waiting for so long to run such a time, to run under 22 seconds. It has not been an easy road, but finally I managed it. Running so fast feels great, but it was not really that easy. Everything went as I wanted. After my start - which was not the best as usual - I just stayed focused. I knew that I have a strong finish, that I really had to take it off on the home stretch.

"My next goal is a gold in Bejing. I want to take it step by step. I might consider to do both - the 200 and the 400 metres - there. But even if I run the 400 metres more often, I would never give up the 200 metres," she said.

Asafa Powell, who disappointed many of his adoring fans by not winning gold in the men's 100 metres final, has a glorious chance to make amends and get that coveted medal in the men's sprint relay final.

Yesterday, the world record holder for the 100m finished the second of two heats with a flourish, after getting the baton in third place, to lower the national mark to a world leading 38.02. It could have been better. Powell eased down considerably 10 metres from the tape when he had the rest of the field covered.

The previous national record, 38.20, was set at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. The United States were second in 38.10 and Japan third in an Asian area record 38.21.

The 'big man' said after his run that the world record in the relay, 37.40, held since 1992 by the United States, could go.

Usain Bolt will come in to replace one of Dwight Thomas, Steve Mullings or Nesta Carter in today's final.

HUGE RUN
    "That run in the heats was a huge one for us. We broke the national record that has been there for a while. I am feeling pretty good, the team is looking good and everything looks positive for the final. The world record is in reach. We can break it if we do the same things that we did today," Powell said.

Double sprint champion Tyson Gay did not run for the Americans in the heats. He will come in for today's final.

The opening men's sprint relay heat was won by Brazil in 38.27 ahead of Britain, 38.33.

The heats and final of the women's 4x100m are also on today.

Earlier this week, 100m finalist Kerron Stewart said the team is not only looking to win gold but also to lower the national record (41.73) set at the Athens Olympics three years ago.

Campbell, who is unlikley to run before the final, said yesterday that Jamaica had a "few ladies who are determined to run".

In the men's 110m hurdles final, Maurice Wignall, who surprised even himself by reaching the last eight, placed eighth in 13.39 behind gold medallist Liu Xiang of China. Xiang clocked 12.95 to beat the Americans Terrence Trammell, 12.99, and David Payne, who ran a personal best 13.02 for bronze.

TODAY'S FINALS
    8:05 a.m: women's 4x100m final

8:20 a.m: men's 4x100m final.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X