Veronica gets gold but Powel only get Bronze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica gets gold but Powel only get Bronze

Does anyone know if this is a big pay day meet?

'This one's for you' - Veronica dedicates World Champs 100 metres gold to all Jamaicans
    published: Tuesday | August 28, 2007

Elton Tucker, Assistant Editor - Sport

Jamaica's Veronica Campbell celebrates with the Jamaican flag after winning the gold medal in the women's 100m during the World Championships yesterday in Osaka. - AP
    Osaka, Japan:
    Veronica Campbell reigns again.The 2004 Olympic 200 metres champion stormed forward late to get the verdict from the photo-finish camera in a thrilling end to the women's 100 metres final at the 11th IAAF World Athletics Championships here, yesterday.
    In one of, if not the closest finishes ever in the women's 100m final at a World Championships, Campbell captured gold in 11.01 seconds, the same time awarded to American defending champion, [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]silver[/COLOR][/COLOR] medalist Lauryn Williams.
    Another American, Carmelita Jeter, was a whisker behind in a personal best 11.02.
    Jamaica's second finalist, Kerron Stewart, was seventh in 11.12.
    Only the 1993 final in Stuttgart was as close as yesterday's. Then, American Gails Devers edged out Jamaica's Merlene Ottey by one-thousandth of a second, 10.811 to 10.812.
    The medals for the first two places yesterday were also a reversal of the result in Helsinki two years ago. In that final Williams held on to beat a fast-finishing Campbell.
    The gold medal lifted Jamaica's tally at the prestigious cham-pionships to two, and sixth spot overall.
    Asafa Powell won the first medal, a bronze, in the men's 100m final on Sunday night.
    The United States lead the standings with seven medals - two gold, two silver and three bronze.
    Campbell, now the first Jamaican to win the 100m title at the 24-year-old World Championships, dedicated her victory to those who suffered during the recent passage of Hurricane Dean.
    "This one was for everybody at home," the 25-year-old Campbell, who is the only Jamaican to win individual gold medals at the Olympic Games and World Championships, said.
    "I know the hurricane did some damage and I just want to tell everybody to keep their heads up as there is always hope."
    The [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]runners[/COLOR][/COLOR] had to wait a nerve-wracking eight minutes before the final result was shown on the large [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]display [COLOR=black! important]board[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] at the magnificent Nagai Stadium. The names of 2003 champion Torri Edwards, who eventually took fourth, then Williams, were displayed on the board before Campbell was officially declared the winner.
    Campbell, who did not get the best of starts, executed her race plan very well. "It was a good race, I just stayed patient and surged at the end. It is really a great feeling and I thank God for delivering me tonight," she said
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.
Working...
X