Chris Gayle, for your viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Gayle, for your viewing

pleasure, or displeasure as the case may be:http://www.iplt20.com/videos/media/i...hris-gayle-100
    Peter R

Wow. Well done Gayle. PeterR what are they making the cricket bats out of these days? Those sixes are as effortless as they are long.I mean I know Gayle is a big fellow but so were Lloyd, Viv , etc.

On a slightly different note, while I was watching the test match over the weekend I was thinking how much cricket has changed. A test series going on in the Caribbean and the biggest WI cricket stars were all in India playing big money club cricket.
    Last edited by Islandman; May 7, 2015, 09:07 AM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I was going to ask a question about when this took place, but I-man you answered it. So my new question is, Is Chris Gayle Jamaica's greatest ever batsman, given the changes in cricket over the last 20 years?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Interesting question. An argument can certainly be made that he is.

Certainly not the best or the most complete Jamaican batsman but his accomplishments are outstanding. He is probably the greatest T20 batsman in the short history of the international game, he was one of the best 50-over batsmen of his era, and he has a decent test record as well.

For me one of his most important contributions was made off the field, when he was suspended by the WICB. He was the first cricketer to show not only that international cricket was no longer necessary to make a lot of money in cricket, but in fact more money could be made by playing big money T20 instead. The WICB lost that fight against Gayle and their bargaining position was permanently weakened.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

To be honest , I don't know what material/wood is used but I read that his bat weighs 3lbs 2oz and the blade is 2" longer than average. The average range for weight is 2lbs 7ozs. to 3lbs. so he is going heavier and longer.

Apparently there is no limit on weight; probably because a heavier bat is harder to swing and would reduce the effectiveness that additional weight might bring. In Gayle's case he seems to have no problems swinging a 3+lb. bat with ease, and the length almost helps him to reach balls that ordinary batsmen would just "whiff" at.

And regarding top players in India, certainly Gayle (in spite of what one's opinion of him is) Russell, Narine, Pollard, L. Simmons and Bravo (Dwayne Smith to a lesser extent)would make up part of a formidable T20 team. That is where our (Windies) strength seems to have found a home. And T20 is where the money is: I don't see that fact reversing at all; Test cricket IMO, is (sadly) living on borrowed time.
          Peter R

Comment

He definitely is in there with a shout; certainly with respect to T20 cricket. To compare across eras isn't easy; Gayle to say George Headley is difficult. In tests however, I would definitely go with George Headley. In his day there was no other version of cricket, so the comparison ends there IMO. Relative to his peers, Gayle has a good Test record, but certainly not like George H did relative to his peers.

I would also put Lawrence Rowe slightly ahead of Gayle as a test batsman. He certainly was a classy and stylish batsman and great to see play. Gayle, for sheer power, especially when he hits cleanly is also great to see at the wicket, as the highlights I just linked shows. Unfortunately, I don't think Rowe quite lived up to his potential for varying reasons but I think he has a higher test average than Gayle.

Having said that, many people would still count Gayle as the most successful batsman Jamaica has produced in the last forty + years.
            Peter R

Comment

"greatest" meaning ... what? the best? ever?

for me, its still Headley and Rowe.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

That is where our (Windies) strength seems to have found a home. And T20 is where the money is

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I found this article about the evolution of bats. Interesting read.

HAD Don Bradman picked up David Boon's bat, he likely wouldn't have blinked.
                  It had barely changed from the tool elite batsmen had plied their trade with 50 years earlier.

But fast-forward a generation and bat technology has changed almost as rapidly as the ball accelerates off the tree trunks that Chris Gayle and the world's power hitters now wield.

The modern blades are radically different - and with their transformation has come an equally marked change in the way the game is played.
                  http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket...-1226542405236

Comment

To me greatest and best are different. I see "best" as being more associated with talent and "great" being more associated with accomplishment.

For example I consider Rowe to be one of the best WI batsmen to play the game, but I don't consider him to be one of the greatest.

Comment

Greatest meaning in terms of "relative" accomplishment. Take money earned out of the equation. Is he the Bolt of cricket?
                      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

no. Headley is...where Jamaica is concerned.

Comment

well his accomplishments are great, relative to his contemporaries.

Comment

Definitely not the Bolt of Jamaican or any form of cricket . Great player but he has been somewhat fortunate to play in an era where his strengths are maximized and his weaknesses are less critical.

Gayle has often dominated playing in this era but I don't think he would have in earlier times. Some batsmen like Viv, Lara would be great in any era. I suspect Headley would as well based on his stats but I am less certain.

Comment

Working...
                            X