My Personal Views on Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Personal Views on Last Night

As I stated in an earlier thread (I believe yesterday), if Ryan Bailey got a sizable lead (of even five meters) on Usain Bolt in the 4x100-meter relay, then the Americans will certainly win the race. Yohan Blake’s presence is crucial against this powerful American team.

As some poster here may recall, the race at the 2012 London Olympics was won on the third leg, where Blake outran Tyson Gay. The Americans (Trell Kimmons and Justin Gatlin) had been leading that race on the first two legs. Then, Bolt and Bailey got the baton almost simultaneously (at that Olympics) and the rest is history as the Americans equaled the existing world record (37.04) while Jamaica established a remarkable new one.

Regarding the women’s 4x200-meter yesterday, we were fortunate that the Bahamian team of Anthonique Strachan, Shaunae Miller, etc. was disqualified after the race. The Bahamas’ run of bad luck continues, apparently, as at the 2012 Olympic Games in London the lead-off runner in that 4x100-meter relay, Sheniqua Ferguson, had made a few steps into the inside lane and, although her team won their semi-final heat, that strong team never got to run in the finals.

It is also significant that Nigeria won that 4x200-meter gold last night without the presence of their powerhouse sprinter Blessing Okagbare. I did not see the Nigerian roster, but I suspect that, if Okabare is in Nassau, she will be running either the backstretch or anchor leg on tonight’s 4x100-meter relay team.

Looking at today’s upcoming events, one man does not make up a 4x400-member team. In 2013 in Moscow Javon Francis (I refuse to ever call him the rather stupid name, Donkey Man) singlehandedly took our lackluster 4x400-meter team from around fifth position to get the silver medal, and this super-talented young Jamaican did something similar last night to again give us second place in the semi-finals. I do NOT expect Jamaica to win a medal of any color in the men’s 4x400-meter race.

As far as the women’s 4x100-meter race is concerned, we need to keep our fingers crossed. The only member missing from America’s world record shattering (40.82 seconds is no joke!) quartet from the 2012 London Olympics is curve runner Bianca Knight. This should be no problem, as athletes like Jeneba Tarmoh and Kimberlyn Duncan can run a superb curve.

I predict that the results of the women’s 4x400-meter relay will be the same as last year, although it is possible that Britain will nip Nigeria this time for the bronze. But the USA will win, and Jamaica’s outstanding women will get the silver medal (I do not share the view that young Shericka Jackson’s absence will make much of a difference).

In closing, I will note this point: the Jamaican 4x400-meter women have probably been the most consistently successfully of our women’s relay teams in global championships since 2001.

As far as some of the other teams are concerned, St. Kitts & Nevis continue to impress me since last year, and they have run those races WITHOUT Kim Collins! In the case of Kenya, I notice that none of their world record-breaking 4x1500 relay women from last year are on this year’s Kenya roster, and neither are superstars such as David Rudisha and others!

Last edited by Historian; May 3, 2015, 08:00 AM.

His new nickname has been Donx for 2 years now.

If KC didnt mash up Zoom in Penns, we would medal here.

Comment

In Addition....

I forgot to include the USA and Great Britain mishaps in the women’s 4x200-meter relay. The USA women’s mishap last night was comedic, and, in my view, almost as ludicrous as the mishap between our Dwight Thomas and Christopher Williams in the men’s 4x100-meter race at the 2001 Edmonton IAAF World Championships!

I am a strong supporter of Samantha Henry-Robinson (I have not forgotten her blazing anchor run on last year’s 4x100-meter team). Deep down, though, I believe that a team of Carrie Russell, Schillonie Calvert, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and whomever else is added in the finals can win the gold. As we may recall, that team, along with Kerron Stewart on backstretch, ran history’s second fastest ever women’s 4x100-meter relay time in Moscow in 2013. It is now early May, but I have no doubt that, with smooth baton changes, we can be exceptional again!

Regarding the men’s 4x400-meter relay, it is not a foregone conclusion for the USA. The Bahamians are hungry following their Olympic Games victory, they have home-court advantage with the screaming crowds, and I am not sure if LaShawn Merritt is really race fit at this early season.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Willi View Post
        His new nickname has been Donx for 2 years now.

If KC didnt mash up Zoom in Penns, we would medal here.
        Very good points, as usual, Willi.

Comment

Re the mens 4x100m, this U.S. team can break 37.00 and so even with Yohan Blake fit we will have to be at our VERY best to beat them.

Bolt and Blake will be motivated by this loss and that is a good thing. It will be interesting to see the final makeup of our team for Worlds.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

A Correction....

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Re the mens 4x100m, this U.S. team can break 37.00 and so even with Yohan Blake fit we will have to be at our VERY best to beat them.

Bolt and Blake will be motivated by this loss and that is a good thing. It will be interesting to see the final makeup of our team for Worlds.
            Correction for an error I made in my earlier post this morning: Blessing Okagbare ran on the Nigerian 4x200-meter gold medal team last night. In fact, Okagbare was the lead-off runner.

Regarding your sprint relay comment, you are absolutely right, Islandman. The fact is that the USA 4x100-meter relay teams are ALWAYS strong. Even at the 2012 London Olympic Games when Jamaica and the USA finished a men’s 4x100-meter race together for the first time since 2007, Trell Kimmons (lead-off) and Justin Gatlin (backstretch) ran excellent legs. Tyson Gay on the curve had not long ago recovered somewhat from hip surgery, and this made things a little easier for Blake.

So you are right, the USA 4x100-meter teams should not be taken for granted!

Comment

Working...
            X