Alia wins swimming gold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alia wins swimming gold!

ALIA ATKINSON, WITH WR, FIRST BLACK WOMAN WORLD CHAMP 40YRS AFTER PIONEER BRIGITHA

December 6, 2014 - Craig Lord

Alia Atkinson celebrates an historic moment [By Patrick B. Kraemer]
    Alia Atkinson made history in Doha this evening when she became the first black woman – and racer from Jamaica either gender – to win a world swimming title – and the moment came with a fourth line in the history books: in 1:02.36, she matched the world record of the woman she pipped, Ruta Meilutyte, Olympic and World l/c champion.

The first black woman ever to hold a world s/c record – in the days before FINA recognised standards in the little pool – was Enith Brigitha, of The Netherlands 40 years ago. Brigitha, beaten by East Germans at major meets throughout her career, set the 100m freestyle standard three times in her career, overtaking Shane Gould‘s 58.1 from 1971 with a 57.04 in 1974. [I went swimming with Gould today – a thrilling experience on a day when Atkinson’s swim gave us reason to recall the world of water four decades ago].

http://www.swimvortex.com/alia-atkin...neer-brigitha/

BLACK LIVES MATTER

BIG BIG achievement! Historic in so many ways? Congrats Alia and all who helped her to get to this point.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      ALIA ATKINSON, WITH WR, FIRST BLACK WOMAN WORLD CHAMP 40YRS AFTER PIONEER BRIGITHA

December 6, 2014 - Craig Lord

Alia Atkinson made history in Doha this evening when she became the first black woman – and racer from Jamaica either gender – to win a world swimming title – and the moment came with a fourth line in the history books: in 1:02.36, she matched the world record of the woman she pipped, Ruta Meilutyte, Olympic and World l/c champion.

The first black woman ever to hold a world s/c record – in the days before FINA recognised standards in the little pool – was Enith Brigitha, of The Netherlands 40 years ago. Brigitha, beaten by East Germans at major meets throughout her career, set the 100m freestyle standard three times in her career, overtaking Shane Gould‘s 58.1 from 1971 with a 57.04 in 1974. [I went swimming with Gould today – a thrilling experience on a day when Atkinson’s swim gave us reason to recall the world of water four decades ago].

http://www.swimvortex.com/alia-atkin...neer-brigitha/
      wikid
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Peter R

Comment

Truly Outstanding Performance!!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

This is an incredible world record-equaling performance!!

I hope that the Jamaican media makes a great deal of this, because it is an amazing performance by a wonderful lady who has, singlehandedly, brought respect to Jamaica in international swimming in this era.

Comment

Yes I!!!

http://swimswam.com/race-footage-ali...rd-gold-medal/

Comment

Brilliant! Stunning last leg! Wow! Thanks for the video, Stoni!

Good enough for a national holiday!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

How many 'Alia Atkinsons' have been buried under the rubble of incompetence and recklessness of certain policies ?

Pharaoh.. let my people go....

Comment

Congrats to our simma. Big up yourself Miss Atkinson.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This margin after 100 meters in this swimming thing is so tight!!

Incredible win.

Comment

Great going and congrats to her and Jamaica.
                      Tell me something, is she related to some other Atkinson that swam for Jamaica back in the 80s? I seem to recall a female swimmer name Atkinson from when I lived in Jamaica and I know this girl would be too young to be that person.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Sportwoman of the Year for sure.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Janelle Atkinson...no she's not.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good going!
                            It was on the cards once she kept at the sport.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                              How many 'Alia Atkinsons' have been buried under the rubble of incompetence and recklessness of certain policies ?

Pharaoh.. let my people go....
                              Wow. I guess this is your version of congratulation. You never fail.

Comment

Working...
                              X