Boxing:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing:

Pity (it seems) that most of the forum missed the Walters v Donaire fight last Saturday night.

Walters boxing success must be credited to Panama.

I said some time ago, that if i returned to live in Jamaica, one of my investment would be in a Boxing Gym.

Here's some of the fight.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ters&FORM=VDRE
    Last edited by HL; October 20, 2014, 03:26 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Thanks. It was a good win and he seems to know exactly what he is doing, great self awareness boxing and otherwise.

Hey let's not give away too much credit. Axe man learned his boxing in Jamaica, had a good amateur career, his father was a boxer and his brothers were all boxers, seems the panama connection happened at the pro level and makes sense as boxing in Ja went cold for a long time, but make no mistake this is a yard bahn and raised creation. Giving Panama credit is like giving the US credit for Mike Mccallum, that is just where the fight opportunity and environment is at the pro level.

Comment

***** .......ARCHA>>ARCHA>>ARCHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-PCWxxDcw
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

or discounting your high school education in jamaica because you went to university in farin.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I have heard about Walters. First time seeing him in action on HBO last Saturday. I was looking forward to this fight from several weeks ago.

Walters (Jamaican flag) boxing shorts, had a small flag of Panama embossed .

In his post fight interview, he mentioned thanks to the gym he trained in located in Panama--and his associates there. I even heard him speaking to someone in spanish.

So I thought he was one of [those many] Jamaicans who grew up in Panama but have the heavy Jamaican influence.

I have been to Panama, and met 3rd generation Panamanian who I thought were Jamaican born by their mannerism and through conversation.

Stini is correct. Walters got most of his boxing development from Jamaica.

This is what I found.
          http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../sports41.html
          Last edited by HL; October 21, 2014, 06:59 PM.

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
            Thanks. It was a good win and he seems to know exactly what he is doing, great self awareness boxing and otherwise.

Hey let's not give away too much credit. Axe man learned his boxing in Jamaica, had a good amateur career, his father was a boxer and his brothers were all boxers, seems the panama connection happened at the pro level and makes sense as boxing in Ja went cold for a long time, but make no mistake this is a yard bahn and raised creation. Giving Panama credit is like giving the US credit for Mike Mccallum, that is just where the fight opportunity and environment is at the pro level.
            You are absolutely correct Stoni.

See my post above.

HL

Comment

I saw him about 18 months ago on the sports max zone speaking Spanish with Alexis Nunes who is now with ESPN and he basically explained how his career took him to panama.

I too have been to panama and interacted with those of Jamaican decent and it is uncanny. In fact reggaeton had its genesis as a genre in panama....with artists like el general and la atrevida.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Before reggaeton they were doing covers of all things Jamaican.Heavy calypso and mento influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IUsaLLpCo

Its only natural.In NY they gravitate to the Jamaican /West Indian culture,the influence would continue back home,natural progression.
                Last edited by Sir X; October 22, 2014, 08:27 AM.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  I saw him about 18 months ago on the sports max zone speaking Spanish with Alexis Nunes who is now with ESPN and he basically explained how his career took him to panama.

I too have been to panama and interacted with those of Jamaican decent and it is uncanny. In fact reggaeton had its genesis as a genre in panama....with artists like el general and la atrevida.
                  Lastly: The Axeman's Dad MUST be given much credit for being forward looking. By pretending to interview his boys before a camera....

I was impressed by his post fight interview, quite poised, confident and with a pretty good diction.

HL

Comment

Yeah I saw that part about the camera, that is just incredible, now we know the rest of the story as many of the journalists were very impressed by Walters and what he had to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      or discounting your high school education in jamaica because you went to university in farin.....
                      Whoa!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stone lick yuh?

Comment

Axeman didn't just go to Panama. It was his Haitian manager who took him to Panama. How could he have gotten an Haitian manager if Jamaica boxing wasn't a major part of his development????

Only a pity the boxer Mullings currently in Ja wasted some of his youth days and didn't take his career serious then or we would be having 2 world champions now.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I thought Axeman's father was his manager.

Comment

Working...
                            X