Penn Relays Boycott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn Relays Boycott

Clearly the Penn people cant be trusted. They lied about the subsidies in the past, and these have been confirmed in the press by the recipients.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      Madness!

Jamaicans are the stars of the show.

Nothing else matters.

No one is saying that boycott should be the FIRST option, however it seems like you "fraid" ah the yankee dem.
      Jamaicans are the stars of the show? A good argument can be made here - both as athletes and spectators.

There can be no doubters when it comes to performances, ...consistent performances...bodies through the gates and atmosphere...but, it cannot be that "nothing else matters". It is very important...vitally important how you conduct the overtures and negotiations. That how you 'sit and talk' has everything with the 'size of the basket of goodies' offered and how the table is laid for future 'upping' of the rewards.

"fraid" ah di yankee dem"?

Cho Willi man, duh bettah dan dat!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mi know, just yanking your chain. (LoL)

However, your entire argument is premised on the fact that we have a basket of goodies to "get".

This is a negotiation of equals!!! We bring soooo much to the table.
        We are in my opinion selling ourselves too cheaply, even now. Penn relays are in actuality now a joint-venture. However, the controls and the spoils are not properly distributed.

I agree that the negotiations should start in an amicable tone and all. However, we are not on our knees!

If we get rejected, our worst case scenario is that we are out of Penn, and the youngsters miss their "reward" trip to Philly. The senior teams would probably pull out too, if it was a bitter divorce.

What does Penn stand to lose??? 30K paying patrons on the last day and about 50 to 100K over the entire event! They lose the top class high school teams who regularly set records and have a tradition. Finally, they totally lose the vibes, the food and the culture. Penn would suddenly have no flavour!!! Not a very palatable short to medium future for them to contemplate.

Financial hit big time. Both from the Jakan patrons AND the yankee patrons who come for the vibes and culture. The performances would collapse and probably the USA vs the World relays would collapse after a year or 2. Penn probably would not die, but the wounds seem to be near fatal. Surely a full recovery would be no one's prognosis.

Here is what needs to happen. ISSA/JAAA/Min. of Educ should form a committee to have permanent representation on the P.R.O.C. Either that or a special Steering Committee. This same representation should work out a sponsorship package to be given to ISSA to divide up between the schools who wish to send Penn Representation. The actual mechanism of the divide is outside the scope of this post. This money would then defray costs associated with the attendance of the teams.

Comment

Mi know, just yanking your chain. (LoL)

However, your entire argument is premised on the fact that we have a basket of goodies to "get".

This is a negotiation of equals!!! We bring soooo much to the table.
          We are in my opinion selling ourselves too cheaply, even now. Penn relays are in actuality now a joint-venture. However, the controls and the spoils are not properly distributed.

I agree that the negotiations should start in an amicable tone and all. However, we are not on our knees!

If we get rejected, our worst case scenario is that we are out of Penn, and the youngsters miss their "reward" trip to Philly. The senior teams would probably pull out too, if it was a bitter divorce.

What does Penn stand to lose??? 30K paying patrons on the last day and about 50 to 100K over the entire event! They lose the top class high school teams who regularly set records and have a tradition. Finally, they totally lose the vibes, the food and the culture. Penn would suddenly have no flavour!!! Not a very palatable short to medium future for them to contemplate.

Financial hit big time. Both from the Jakan patrons AND the yankee patrons who come for the vibes and culture. The performances would collapse and probably the USA vs the World relays would collapse after a year or 2. Penn probably would not die, but the wounds seem to be near fatal. Surely a full recovery would be no one's prognosis.

Here is what needs to happen. ISSA/JAAA/Min. of Educ should form a committee to have permanent representation on the P.R.O.C. Either that or a special Steering Committee. This same representation should work out a sponsorship package to be given to ISSA to divide up between the schools who wish to send Penn Representation. The actual mechanism of the divide is outside the scope of this post. This money would then defray costs associated with the attendance of the teams.
          Now yuh taking sense! ...and, why would you...anyone...believe we are on bended knees when you so clearly list the position of strength from which we will in "good faith" initiate negotiations?

...as mi seh the talk of "block road" = "run way" a pic-ney biz-nees/immature/unsophisticated/naive & uncouth and brutish in manner! Which other organisation would want to let us in after such behaviour? ....someone who would accept any type of behaviour as "dollars" is god...could not be trusted even as you look straight into the eyes.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I guess we agreed all along.

To me the boycott talk was metaphorical. At best a negotiating tactic that would be "hinted" at.

Didnt realize you guys thought it was literal.

However, the current mean-spiritedness of Penn is a big worry to me. I cant understand how they made it come this far.

The Jakan animosity is justified, given that bit players in the US get subsidies and we get diddly.

Comment

I guess we agreed all along.

To me the boycott talk was metaphorical. At best a negotiating tactic that would be "hinted" at.

Didnt realize you guys thought it was literal.

However, the current mean-spiritedness of Penn is a big worry to me. I cant understand how they made it come this far.

The Jakan animosity is justified, given that bit players in the US get subsidies and we get diddly.
              My bad.
              mi shudda did kno yuh coud-den di mean wah mi did tink yuh di write.

fi-give mi, sah! Mi si di lite!

Comment

I was wondering what Karl was talking about. Like I said in my post, we would just not show up at the event. Who was talking about block road or anything even remotely equivalent to that?

If we don't show up there could be a zillion reasons why we didn't. In fact, I can see them begging for us to return and maybe even paying for us to return! Afterall, it's their stands that will be empty, their hotels, their car rental agencies, etc., etc.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There you go jiumping the gun again...

Why must it be that their stands will be empty? For all we know they have been operating in 'cruise control'...basking in the wealth we bring to their table.

Kindly understand that if we withdraw it leaves a void that they must fill. They would be like a condemned man awaiting the gallows...mind wonderously concentrated on that which approaches. In the case of the organisers of PENN they would not be facing so much an impending final hour but a situation for which solutions must be found...and, trust me, solutions they would find.

Comment

The solutions wont be as good as now. There is a reason Penn is number 1 and Jamaica is it!

Comment

The solutions wont be as good as now. There is a reason Penn is number 1 and Jamaica is it!

Jamaica needs more like you! Admire the conviction ...and, this is no joke...that we are indispensible.

Comment

Karl,

Ther are things we do well and many that we dont.

Track is one example of outperformance by Jamaica. Pity we dont display more of this in other spheres of life.

Our potential is truly unbounded. I KNOW this, I dont just believe it.

Comment

Karl,

Ther are things we do well and many that we dont.

Track is one example of outperformance by Jamaica. Pity we dont display more of this in other spheres of life.

Our potential is truly unbounded. I KNOW this, I dont just believe it.
                          Agree with you 1000%!

Comment

Penn wouldn't be Penn without Jamaica

BY PAUL A REID Observer West writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
                            Thursday, May 03, 2007

Some Jamaican high school coaches have for some time now been quietly talking about a boycott of the Penn Relays.
                            They have cited the constant changing of the rules -- which they think is aimed at limiting their success -- and the buying of top athletes to come in and beat the Jamaican schools.

They have not been able to provide an iota of proof to substantiate their accusations, but they appear to be getting more support. Time will tell whether there will be a Penn Relays ban anytime soon. But if it ever happens, America's biggest and best track meet will be the poorer for the absence of the Jamaicans.
                            Raquel Farquharson of STETHS (left) takes off with the baton after taking it from Tiffany Harris in the heats of the High School Girls 4x100m at the Penn Relays last Thursday. STETHS advanced to the Small Schools' finals where they placed third. /Photos: Paul Reid

For on Saturday the seven Jamaican teams in the High School Boys' Championship of America 4x100m finals at the 113th Penn Relays Carnival prompted a lot of track and field fans at Franklin Field to call it the Jamaican invitational finals.

St Jago boys, led by the irrepressible Yohan Blake, won the event in a new record 39.96 seconds, the first high school team to go under 40 seconds at Penn Relays and became the 19th Jamaican team to win the sprint relays since Kingston College won it first in 1964.

As impressive as that was, the girls were even better, winning the 4x100m Championships 25 times with Vere Technical the record holders leading the way with 14 plaques, including five straight between 1996 and 2000.

Add dozens of other relay and individual titles and one starts to get an understanding of the impact the Jamaican high schools and lately the college teams have had on the oldest and most respected track meet in the United States.

Since 2000 the organisers have added another component, USA vs the Rest of the World relays series.

However, as Philadelphia Inquirer columnist, Sam Carhidi, acknowledged in his piece on Sunday, it might as well be renamed USA vs Jamaica.

Over 46,000 paying fans turned up for Saturday's final day that featured the relays between the national teams, at least 25,000 appeared to be Jamaicans, many of whom plan the three-day meet into the must do list each April.

Every time a Jamaican team, whether national or high school team, steps on the track, the energy in the old stadium picks up a pace or three as the Jamaicans roar their delight.

These ovations are not lost on the athletes, as 2006's fastest woman, Sherone Simpson, told a press conference on Friday, they motivate her to run faster. The Americans feed off the energy of the Jamaicans too. In describing the crowd's reaction to the Jamaican women's Sprint Medley team's dropping the baton, Hazel Clarke, a member of the US Sprint Medley team, said "it was as if the entire stands kind of went hush".

Said Clarke: "The Jamaican crowds really get me going. Their energy almost makes you lose your mind."

Another US runner, Miki Barber, described the Jamaican crowd.
                            "It's as if they're the loudest ones here-and they have the most here - and they make everyone run faster."

Comment

As usual I'm late in joining the debate, but of all the arguments put forward, I like Mosiah's suggestion the best. Make the Gibson Relays into an international event. The Gibson Relays already carry a name in international athlethics, as many US scouts attend. The jamaican government talk a lot about sport tourism, this is a very good vehicle to promote this idea. When i see the crowds that the Penn Relays pull each year, it is mind blowing. I started attending the Penn Relays about 4 years ago. I used to leave from NY early on Saturday morning and head down. Now, to avoid all the rush, my friends and I book a hotel/motel room and go down from the friday evening. Now the cities of Philadelphia and New Jersey are making more money off me each year. I say NJ because 2 months prior to the relays, all the rooms in Philly are booked out. I now understand that they have some Gay convention and march that takes place on the same weekend each year. For that weekend alone the city is packed to capacity. Now imagine if it was in Jamaica. Imagine if we invited high school and college teams from say England, Canada, France and Germany. Imagine if we made a special invitation to an African team. Can you imagine the level of interest and excitement that would be generated? Imagine if we had a Jamaica vs the World event. We don't have to re-invent the wheel, the Penn Relays is there as a model for us to adopt and improve upon. Sponsorship......... not a problem. The JAAA has proven itself to be one of the most if not the most well organised sporting body in Jamaica and even the Caribbean. Let's just think about it.
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                                As usual I'm late in joining the debate, but of all the arguments put forward, I like Mosiah's suggestion the best. Make the Gibson Relays into an international event. The Gibson Relays already carry a name in international athlethics, as many US scouts attend. The jamaican government talk a lot about sport tourism, this is a very good vehicle to promote this idea. When i see the crowds that the Penn Relays pull each year, it is mind blowing. I started attending the Penn Relays about 4 years ago. I used to leave from NY early on Saturday morning and head down. Now, to avoid all the rush, my friends and I book a hotel/motel room and go down from the friday evening. Now the cities of Philadelphia and New Jersey are making more money off me each year. I say NJ because 2 months prior to the relays, all the rooms in Philly are booked out. I now understand that they have some Gay convention and march that takes place on the same weekend each year. For that weekend alone the city is packed to capacity. Now imagine if it was in Jamaica. Imagine if we invited high school and college teams from say England, Canada, France and Germany. Imagine if we made a special invitation to an African team. Can you imagine the level of interest and excitement that would be generated? Imagine if we had a Jamaica vs the World event. We don't have to re-invent the wheel, the Penn Relays is there as a model for us to adopt and improve upon. Sponsorship......... not a problem. The JAAA has proven itself to be one of the most if not the most well organised sporting body in Jamaica and even the Caribbean. Let's just think about it.
                                Have to agree with Mosiah...but, what has that got to do with PENN?

Creating our own International Relays is something we should do...matters not if there is...or was a PENN RELAYS!

We have the runners and field event athletes, the organisers, the facilities and the great climate...along with crazy T&F fan support. Do we need affordable transportation and rooms to add to the mix ...such that it will drive inflows of visitors and boost to the local economy?

Comment

Working...
                                X