• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&F: Dr. Blake presidency for the future of the JAAA

Dr. Blake presidency for the future of the JAAA

Created on Friday, 07 December 2012 13:12 | Written by Robert Taylor |

dr. warren blake
    Now that the election is over, we can look with relief and sadness. Relief that the politicking is over and the leader is elected so the future and direction of the JAAA (Jamaica Athletic Administrative Association) is about to start for the better we all hope. The sadness was to see the two Icons (Glen Mills and Donald Quarrie) going public with their grievances. My hope is that members of the JAAA learned a valuable lesson about decorum and acquired the knowledge that the image of the JAAA is more important than individuals' ego.
    There were many pledges made by the various candidates about how they planned to move the JAAA forward. At this point, the only important platform to consider is that of Dr. Blake. He is the victor, thus his platform will govern the JAAA for the next four years.

In reading Dr. Blake and his team manifesto, I came away with agreement, hope and questions. I totally agree with the decision to have a marketing unit and the set up of e-commerce. My question is what took so long for the JAAA leadership to come to this decision. MVP Track Club has had a marketing department for many years ago and the JAAA, who is the governing body, is just thinking of it. Many are of the opinion that the JAAA has not done a good job in marketing the Jamaica brand. The time to maximise income is when one is most popular, and Jamaica's track and field team has never before in history been this popular. The marketing department and the setting up of e-commerce is a step in the right direction.

The manifesto also stated they are going to work with the governing high school body (ISSA) to protect the junior athletes' form being over-worked by the high school coaches. After reading this, I could not help but look at the irony of this pledge. First, Dr. Blake came out publicly and declared there is no proof of athletes being over-worked. A declaration contrary to the IAAF (International Association of Athletic Federations) researched reports. Secondly, a member of Dr. Blake's team is the primary reason for at least two rule changes by ISSA to limit the number of events for individual athlete participation. I agree that the JAAA should work closely with ISSA in protecting the junior athletes. At the last high school championship, there were far too many young athletes falling with injuries.
    The fact that Dr. Blake have a member of the Racers track club board, an athlete from MVP track and a prominent coach from one of the top high schools tells me a lot about him. Many might view this as political expediency. But I view it as showing that he is humble enough to know he needs input from all before coming to a decision. His aim is to benefit the Jamaican people and not to prove how powerful he is as a leader.

There has been and will always be disagreement among the stakeholders but the fact the board is diverse, better decision making should be routine. I am hoping the days of public display of disagreement and dislike has ended. If so be the case, Dr. Blake ability to manage egos and diverse personalities will be above question. The make up of Dr. Blake's team points out that he is willing to listen to other opinions before making decisions. He is showing me that he is a leader who is willing to adapt to changing environment, whether it be information or need for input from those who were never able to participate.

Making the best decisions for the athletes should be easier. In circumstances where athletes and coaches disagree with a decision (s) at least, they will have a representative to explain to them in a manner they can relate.

Another important aspect of the manifesto is the idea of financial transparency. The JAAA has come a long way in terms of finance and based on the how long Dr. Blake joined the JAAA and his career achievements; I have to conclude the love of Jamaica athletics is the only reason he has for joining the JAAA. There will always be scepticism, but financial transparency will not only limit grafting in fact but also limit grafting in appearance.

The campaign saw the disclosing of information about pettiness and vindictiveness of coaches at previous major championships. Former representative, Sanja Ayre coming out with his account as to what took place with 4x400m relay in 2007 Osaka world championship. The point about Danny McFarlane was not selected because he had a problem with one of the coach seems extremely petty. To see grown men using personality conflict to take their mind away from the main objective shows lack of professionalism and accountability to the Jamaican people they were representing.

This situation, I hope Dr. Blake takes seriously and make sure incidents like this become outdated. There should be no shying away form the issue of petty and sometimes outright irresponsible behaviour of some members of the management team. When these decisions affect the optimum performance of the team, adequate protective measures should be in place. When someone fails, just like with the athletes, replacement should be the only decision. Without accountability, there will be no deterrent for unprofessional behaviour and biased decision-making.

I am hopeful that the underlying problems with decision making that has been plaguing the team at major championship will become outdated. The thing about opening a tube of toothpaste is that once the paste is out the tube, it cannot return. Now that accusations are out there for the Jamaican people to see, hoping Dr. Blake realises he will not be able to tolerate bad behaviour or allow it to go unpunished. At this point, he should know inaction might or will come back to haunt him.

Icon or no icon, former greats or not so former great, regardless of one credentials, doing the job in a professional manner with one dream and aspiration should be the aim. Winning as many medals as possible while helping the athletes to perform at their best should be the dream and aspiration of the management team. Selfishly selecting athlete because of closeness or connections or deny an athlete selection because of feud or personality conflict should not be acceptable. If an athlete breaks certain fundamental code then proper punishment should be meted and an explanation should be forthcoming to the people.

Otherwise move out the way and allow the athletes to do what they have spent months and years to prepare for.

High performance standard should be the source of the administrator action. Without outstanding athletic performance by the athletes, income growth, e-commerce and all the other plans will come to waste. Mr. Mills and Mr. Francis are recognised as two of the top coaches in the world. They gained this recognition only because of the great performances of athletes under their guidance. Dr. Blake needs to make sure his team develop and set protocol and standards that do not allow exception for bad behaviour among its administrators or athletes. If the baggage of the past is not discarded then there is no fruitful moving forward.

Funding and support is all a function of the athletes' success. Therefore, unless there is a fundamental change within the attitude and behaviour of the administrators who guide the athletes at major competition, moving forward will only be a phrase and not a reality. All the great plans Dr. Blake put forward in his manifesto must first proceed with a question of how this will affect the athletes' performance.

Hoping to a see Dr. Blake reign become a time of success in implementing programs that enhance the ability of the athletes to maximise their potential and performances. As we all know, success is measured by winning of medals by the athletes and from there, all benefits and accolades follow.

Wishing Dr. Blake a successful reign, to levels that carry the JAAA to new heights where all stakeholders work in concert for the benefit of the Jamaican people and not allow ego, pettiness and unprofessionalism to be the mainstay of decision-making.

*The views expressed in this article are those of the author (Robert Taylor) and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, trackalerts.com
    Last edited by Karl; December 8, 2012, 01:08 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X