X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Sanya!!

Richards-Ross donates to Vaz Prep

Published: Thursday | October 18, 2012 Comments 0

Olympic 400m champion Sanya Richards-Ross (centre, back row) shares a pose yesterday with principal of Vaz Preparatory, Karlene Bisnott (left, back row), sportsmistress June Cover-Simpson (right, back row), and students (from left) D'Angelo Atkinstall-Daley, Wozeira Richards and Kolo Laing, after presenting a cheque valuing US$10,000 to the school which she attended as a child. - Rudolph Brown/Photographer

Olympic 400m champion Sanya Richards-Ross is quite accustomed to adoring fans all over the world. But it is quite clear that the ones that matter most are the students and staff at her alma mater, Vaz Preparatory.
    The Jamaica-born US track star was a special guest at the school's devotion yesterday morning, where she handed over a cheque for US$10,000 (J$900,000), which is to assist financially challenged members of the school's track and field programme.

A teary-eyed Richards-Ross, who while at Vaz as a nine- year-old student years ago told a teacher that she wanted to become an Olympic champion, charged the students to make the most of the opportunities presented.

"Every time I come to Vaz I just feel this tremendous pride because this is the place where I discovered my love for learning and my love for sports. This is where I was encouraged to be successful," said Richards-Ross.
    conceive the dream

"It feels amazing to be back. I even got a bit emotional standing here, knowing this is where I used to have devotion as well and started to conceive the dream of being an Olympian, so it was very special for me," she told The Gleaner, noting that she expects the donation to have a meaningful impact.

"I expect it to help in a big way. You hear of the parents who have very talented kids but sometimes just can't afford it, and it really breaks my heart because I am very thankful that my parents made the sacrifice to keep me in school. So if I can help the next Sanya Richards-Ross then it's all worth it," Richards-Ross noted.

Principal Karlene Bisnott was grateful for the contribution, citing that it will serve as a source of inspiration for the students.

"Sanya always comes back. Once she is here she always pays us a visit. This contribution is a meaningful one because we have several members of our track and field team who are finding it difficult to remain in school, so this will go a long way in ensuring that they remain in school," said Bisnott.

"It really is a source of inspiration and motivation, especially for the members of the track and field team, and I am hoping that it aspires them to even greater things," she added.

Richards-Ross was scheduled to leave the island yesterday. Her Olympic success capped a largely successful season that also included victory at the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey, earlier this year.
    - A.L.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Love this. Big up Sanya.

Mek the haters dem gwan dem ways. Most a dem neva do nutten fe dem school nor dem community yet anyway. Gwan do you ting girl, I am sure it is appreciated by those who benefit.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

AMEN Islandman!!
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Nice!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sentimental for her school...maybe Vaz Prep don't need it as much as others..but its her money....

Comment

Other children in Jamaica have benefitted in the past from SRR donations, her philantrophy is not confined to Vaz!
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Her money, her school and her cause. There will always be someone or somewhere that needs help more than the cause we choose to support.

Sanya has done far more to make Jamaica a better place than the average non-resident Jamaican has, especially the ones who love to hate her. Probably more than the average resident Jamaican has too.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

What yuh saying, I-man? HL could contribute to him primary school? And Lazie?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Wasn't that what I said basically?

Comment

Partially

Comment

Ok boss.

Comment

Working...
                      X