Can someone explain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain.

WesT Indies are through to the Super 8 of the ICC T-20 World Cup. What was the basis for them being declared winners over Ireland. I watched the game live, and Ireland made 120 odd, and the WI never replied due to rain, but the WI were declared the winners. I am not familiar with all the modern rules, so can someone please explain it?. I have noticed that ireland are actually saying it was unfair to them. There was no basis for the application of DL.

They were not declared winners. The match is a 'no result'. West indies advanced on a better net run rate, meaning that they did not lose as badly to Australia as Ireland did

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      They were not declared winners. The match is a 'no result'. West indies advanced on a better net run rate, meaning that they did not lose as badly to Australia as Ireland did
      In other words, we are very lucky to be through to the next round.
      "We're not getting our butts kicked." Lauryn Williams on the U.S.-Jamaica rivalry.

Comment

Well...we should have beaten them outright....but as they say..'the glorious uncertainties in cricket'. Just sorry we never got any batting practice...or not.

Comment

I really don't understand why cricket cannot come up with better solutions for rain interruptions. One gets the feeling that they simply do not want to.

I mean you can't find a way to finish a T20 game? How is tennis for example able to do it? How much rain fall,at Wimbledon very year?
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

maybe because they already have a formula in the event of a no result. in a round robin group format this becomes easier than in tennis when it is straight knockout as in tennins most of the time. there is one tournament in tennis where it is round robin and there is something similar.

so if 2 teams meet at least one is going to be really motivated to win to overcome that

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

For the no-result situation I can understand the run-rate being used although I think they could have some more flexibility to allow games to be completed.

I was really talking about the DL system for a T20 match. For 50 overs it is bad enough but at least there is some opportunity for players to respond to it.

Is DL what would determine the T20 finals if rain interrupts? I mean are there really no better options?
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

First of all, they should not be scheduling a tournament of this magnitude during the peak of the rainy season. Seems pretty silly to me.

Comment

DL is used in T20. We lost to Australia under DL... we scored 191, they made 100 for 1 in 9 + overs and we ended losing by 17 runs. The team batting second can win by "runs" under DL as they establish a par score after every ball bowled.

In our match vs Ireland, play had already been interrupted for an hour due to rain which came down again before our turn to bat. That, coupled with the fact that it was a late start local time left them with no choice but to abandon the match as the rain had not eased.

And to add to Reggaedoc's comment, SL and the subcontinent, the Eastern Caribbean including T&T are NOT places where cricket should be scheduled at this time of year. IN SL thay should schedule the matches earlier as the rain seems to fall in the evenings... but there may be TV obligations involved... but I don't see why this takes such precedence when the rain basically washes out the cricket.
                  Last edited by Peter R; September 25, 2012, 06:12 PM.
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X