What is the story here..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the story here..

"To this day, nobody has said anything to me about anything. All I got was a letter terminating my services. There has been no forum to ask me any questions," he rued.

Riley drafts plan as XLCR coach

BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A week after assuming his new post as head coach of Excelsior High School's Boys' athletics team, David Riley says he has been settling in well.
    "We've been having training sessions. It has been rather interesting; it's been pretty good," the Excelsior alumni told the Jamaica Observer after officially coming on board on August 1.

RILEY... I bring a lot of experience and ‘know how’ to the job

1/1

That was three months after parting company with Wolmer's Boys' on April 30 after spending nine seasons at the Heroes Circle institution. He became head coach in 2009 following the departure of Bert Cameron.
    Riley led Wolmer's to the 2010 ISSA GraceKennedy Boys Championships title in the centenary year of 'Champs' and 100 years since the school first claimed the prestigious crown in 1910.
    "I'm directly responsible for the Boys', but I provide assistance to the Girls' programme," Riley said of his role at Excelsior.
    The former jumper who holds an International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Level II Coach Certificate has gained experience coaching at the national level since graduation in 2007.
    He has been head coach to the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in 2010 and the IAAF World Youth Championships in Lillie, France a year later. Riley also guided Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Junior Championships and CARIFTA teams.
    "There were many offers. Of the offers that I got it's the one that would require me to build a programme pretty much from scratch... that intrigued me," he explained.
    "The others were established and have a more recent history of success — not necessarily winning at 'Champs', but in producing quality athletes," said Riley of his decision to coach his alma mater.
    And what does he intend to bring to the programme?
    "A lot of experience and 'know how'. I hope to put some more structure there and get some results; there is a proven way of doing it. The goal remains the same — just develop the athletic skill of the students there and let's see where that takes them. That's my primary focus this year," he added.
    "The recent tradition at Excelsior is that not many students participate. You never know what the quality is," he said.
    Riley has a special place in his heart for the field events, adding that only Wolmer's and Kingston College (KC) have produced jumpers at a national level in recent times.
    "I'm not necessarily focusing on it, but that particular vision is something that can be accomplished anywhere. They don't just fall out of the sky into your hand. It's a development programme and... can take place anywhere. Track and field is heavily knowledge-driven, so once you learn certain things, you can bring that to any team," he explained.
    A qualified engineer who boasts a Master's Degree in Material Science and Engineering from Georgia Tech and a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering from North-eastern University in Boston, Riley said field events need to be developed.
    "We need to see to their transition to the senior level. We have a task to produce some really good field events athletes for 2016 (Olympics)," he posited.
    Riley, who attended Excelsior at the same time as former national 400m representative Gregory Haughton, said there is only one regret about his departure from Wolmer's, which incidentally, he also attended.
    "To this day, nobody has said anything to me about anything. All I got was a letter terminating my services. There has been no forum to ask me any questions," he rued.
    Excelsior is the only school to have won separate Boys and Girls Championships titles.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz24BoVGH7a

"A qualified engineer who boasts a Master's Degree in Material Science and Engineering from Georgia Tech and a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering from North-eastern University in Boston"

Impressive.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

...but is he working in the field?

Comment

hes a full time coach it seems

Comment

so why was he fired from Wolmers?

Comment

an athlete from the school had very low grades and he brought him to the Penn Relays Carnival

note-it is against school policy(issa i think also) for a student to take part in sporting events if grades

Comment

Jago never won Girls Champs??? They came 2nd so many times...

Comment

In a hundred years, only Excelsior High and St. Jago High have ever won both boys’ and girls’ divisions at Champs. The feat has never been accomplished in the same year.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-S..._Championships

Willi but to answer your question they last won in 1996. I think they won 4 times...

Sm snippets from the FB page:
                • In 1983 the St Jago girls team did not score any points at Girls Champs, but by the following year in 1984 they finished in second place.
                  The most rapidly improved team ever in the history of Championships
                • St Jago Girls team of 1996 scored 450 points to win Girls Champs.
                  The highest points tally ever in the history of Championships
                • St Jago Girls team of 1996 won Champs by 150 points.
                  Still The widest margin of victory ever in the history of Championships

• In 1992 St Jago became the only high school that has won Championsip of America titles in all the relay categories for high school boys at the Penn Relays.

• In 2007 St Jago’s team of Yohan Blake, Nickel Ashmeade, Riker Hylton and Andre Walsh became the first high school sprint relay team to run under 40 seconds at the Penn Relays. The team recorded a time of 39.96
                • In 2010 St Jago became the first school to hold the record in all three classes in the boys 100m at Champs. This feat was achieved when Kevaughn Rattary set the record of 10.90 in the class 3 boys 100m. To date all 3 sprint record are still being held by the boys of Monk Street.
                • Raheem Chambers - St Jago 100m class 3 10.86 New Rec (2012)
                • Kevaughn Rattary - St Jago 100m claas 3 10.90 Rec (2010)
                • Yohan Blake - St Jago 100m class 2 10.34 Rec (2006)
                • Yohan Blake - St Jago 100m class 1 10.17 Rec (2008)
                • Ernie Haisley is the first St Jago High School alumnus to participate at an Olympic Game. He represented Jamaica in the long jump at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
                • Laurel Johnson was the first St Jago High Alumna to compete at an Olympic Game. She represented Jamaica in the 4x100m relay at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

• In 1984 Gregory Meghoo became the first St Jago Alumnus to have won an Olympic medal. He was a member of Jamaica's 4x100m relay time that mined silver in Los Angeles.
                • In 1996 Michelle Freeman became the first St Jago High Alumna to have won a medal at the Olmympics. She was a member of Jamaica's 4x100m relay team that earned the bronze medal.
                • In 2008 Keron Stewart became the first St Jago Alumna or alumnus to have gained a medal in an individual event when she won the silver medal in the women's 100m.
                • In 2008 Melaine Walker became the first St Jago High School alumna or alumnus to have won an Olympic gold medal. She achieved this feat in a new olympic record of 52.64 seconds

Write a comment.

Comment

Jago won Boys Champs for the first time in 1987.

Was not aware if the Girls won, but this is good news.

The original article was wrong then to say only XLCR has won both.

Vere did not and they "could".

Comment

What, the athlete was a stowaway?
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Good question!

Did the athlete take part in ISSA champs?
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

St. Jago won Girls Champs 1996-1999.
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                        X