Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt is not a legend yet, so says IOC president

Rogge: Usain Bolt not a 'legend' yet
    LONDON (AP) - Usain Bolt, you're not a "living legend'' yet.
    That's the verdict of IOC President Jacques Rogge, who said Jamaican sprinter is an "icon,'' but needs to prove his greatness over more than two Olympics before he can claim legendary status.
    "The career of Usain Bolt has to be judged when the career stops,'' Rogge told a small group of reporters Thursday. "If you look at the career of Carl Lewis, he had (four) consecutive games with a medal.''
    Rogge spoke a few hours before Bolt completed an unprecedented sprint sweep, becoming the first athlete to win the 100 and 200 meters at consecutive Olympics. Bolt took the 200 in 19.32 seconds, four days after he defended his 100 title with victory in 9.63.
    Bolt has spoken repeatedly of his desire to become a "living legend'' in London.
    "Let Usain Bolt be free of injury,'' Rogge said. "Let him keep his motivation, which I think will be the case. ... Let him participate in three, four games, and he can be a legend. Already, he's an icon.''
    Lewis won nine Olympic gold medals from 1984-1996, including four consecutive titles in the long jump.
    In Beijing four years ago, Bolt won the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay, all in world-record times. Back then, Rogge chastised Bolt for showboating and showing a lack of respect to his fellow competitors after his individual races, comments which led to criticism of the IOC president for appearing to be out of touch.
    Rogge said achieving Olympic success over a long period is crucial.
    "What Michael Phelps has done in Beijing (eight gold medals) and what Usain Bolt has done now in the 100 meters and maybe in the 200 meters later this evening, this is something that you will not forget,'' he said. "This is something exceptional. I think that achieving to win a medal in consecutive games is a great performance. The time factor is so important.''
    Rogge cited British rower Steve Redgrave, who won gold medals at five consecutive Olympics, and British sailor Ben Ainslie, who won his fourth straight gold at these games.
    "You have to be there, you have to be at the top for almost 20 years which is a great achievement,'' he said.
    Rogge, who competed in three Olympics for Belgium in sailing, said of Ainslie: "He's now the greatest sailor of all time.''
    Rogge spoke after attending the finals of women's boxing, which made its debut on the Olympic program. He watched British flyweight Nicola Adams and Irish lightweight Katie Taylor win gold medals in front of a raucous crowd at the ExCel arena.
    "It was fantastic,'' Rogge said. `I'm a very happy man. There has been some criticism of whether women should be boxing and of their level and technique. Today we have been vindicated. That was a good decision. It's only the beginning.''
    Also attending was IOC vice president Nawal El Moutawakel of Morocco, the first woman from a predominantly Muslim nation to win an Olympic medal when she took gold in the 400-meter hurdles at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.
    "The combat was beautiful,'' she said. "It was a wonderful show. They were technical and highly skilled. This was very important, a huge step. It reminds me of my '84 hurdles gold medal.''
    For the first time in Olympic history, all national teams include female athletes. Rogge noted that Sarah Attar received a big ovation when she finished last in her 800-meter heat on Wednesday, the first woman from Saudi Arabia to compete in track and field at the Olympics.
    "We're fighting the right course,'' Rogge said. "It's a strong message that reverberates around the world. Young women will take up sport. These games will leave a great human legacy.''
    With the closing ceremony of the three days away, Rogge hailed the British crowds and said the atmosphere reminded him of the street scenes during the 2010 Vancouver Games.
    "The crowds exceed my expectations,'' he said. "I did not expect such a response.''
    Rogge said the fervor was due in part to the success of the British team, which had won 24 gold medals and 51 total medals by the end of Thursday's competition, its best performance in 100 years.
    "It took two days to get the bronze medal,'' he said. "From that start, what an acceleration.''
    Rogge also recalled standing near an "amused'' Queen Elizabeth II during the opening ceremony as they watched a film clip featuring the monarch and James Bond actor Daniel Craig. With a bit of movie trickery, the queen appears to parachute out of a helicopter into the stadium.
    `I was watching on a video, and the queen was about 10 meters on my left side,'' Rogge said. "She was watching the same video with a very amused smile on her lips. She knew everything of the plot. She was amused, if I may so.''
    That was a play on the famous quotation attributed to Queen Victoria: "We are not amused.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz236SFQjIc
    “Pele should go back to the museum,” Maradona

LOL Them trying hard.

Comment

Fortunately ossified and corrupt sports administrators don't decide who is a legend and who is not.... regular people do

The verdict of the people is already in
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Rogge cited British rower Steve Redgrave, who won gold medals at five consecutive Olympics, and British sailor Ben Ainslie, who won his fourth straight gold at these games.
        LoL! What bout the synchronized swimmers?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

a more full stadium and tv coverage him a look fi Rio?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

These old farts are little more than walking cadavers as far as I am concerned

Comment

Rogge need to get his head checked. Sprinting is not like these other sports.
              "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Exactly! Does Rogge really expect anyone to win 5 straight 100m gold medals?!?

Well, I wouldn't put that past Bolt still!

Fact is, if Bolt should hang up his Pumas today, the world would acknowledge him as the greatest Olympian ever, not just sprinter. If one was going to write a book on the Olympics, whose photo would you want on the cover? Phelps? Steve Redgrave??!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  a more full stadium and tv coverage him a look fi Rio?

Exactly!!
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

True! Right now Rio is praying that Bolt can stick around to be the main draw at their games. Not even Phelps or Steve Redgrave (!) will be there! How dem gwine manage if their drawing card will be...okay, maybe Yohan will one day develop that star quality to go along with his track quality.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Charles Robinson writer

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson
                      When this is all said and done, gotta believe Usain Bolt just nuked himself in the United States - a country that loved him until tonight.
                      http://sports.yahoo.com/author/charles-robinson/

Comment

Utter rubbish.

Dem desperat fi try cut him down.

American people nuh like Carl lewis. Him cyaan even get an interview on NBC. ROTFLMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Exactly! Does Rogge really expect anyone to win 5 straight 100m gold medals?!?

Well, I wouldn't put that past Bolt still!

Fact is, if Bolt should hang up his Pumas today, the world would acknowledge him as the greatest Olympian ever, not just sprinter. If one was going to write a book on the Olympics, whose photo would you want on the cover? Phelps? Steve Redgrave??!?
                          I am biased, but of course it would be bolt and "bronze queen merlene" (most womens olympic athletics medals of all time) and I would omit Carl Lewis altogether!! Of course nuff people will say Phelps, but again, you can't compare the two sports. Bolt has to win two more medals to win more sprint medals than Lewis(6), but all of Bolt's 5 so far are gold...Lewis won 10 medals (4 gold in long jump, 5 gold in sprinting and 1 silver in sprinting). Bolt's achievement is not just the repeat(s), but the distance between him and his competitors. I think he has to go for Rio, but for us to expect more gold from him there is just plain CRAVENISM!!!
                          "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

dem on the attack
                            ---------------------------------

LONDON – Until 11:45 p.m. London time on Thursday, Usain Bolt had achieved something even more remarkable than turning the Olympic Stadium track into his own personal drag strip.
                            He'd managed to be the most toweringly arrogant, endlessly cocky, thoroughly likeable guy in sports.
                            Then he nuked Carl Lewis.
                            There went the American vote, Usain. Hope the endorsement deals in Jamaica and Europe stay strong.
                            Bolt's run as the most popular foreign athlete in the United States – maybe ever, or at least in the argument – might have ended abruptly Thursday night. After winning his fifth career Olympic gold medal and second of the London Games, he veered out of his way in the 200-meter news conference to savage Lewis, who merely won nine gold medals for America during his brilliant sprinting-and-jumping career. Them's fightin' words.
                            [ Related: Bolt blasts Lewis after track legend made critical comments ]
                            Bolt was asked about the great sprinters of all time, with the names Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis mentioned. Bolt gave props to Owens then announced, "I'm going to say something controversial."
                            Did he ever.
                            "Carl Lewis, I have no respect for him," Bolt said. "The things he says about the track athletes are very downgrading. I think he's just looking for attention because nobody really talks about him.
                            "I've lost all respect for him. All respect."
                            Bolt was asked what caused him to lose respect for Lewis.
                            "All drug stuff," he responded.
                            Four years ago, when Bolt exploded in Beijing by winning three gold medals, Lewis specifically questioned Bolt's huge time drop in the 100 meters, from 10.03 to 9.69 in the course of a year.
                            "If you don't question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you're a fool," Lewis said. "Period."
                            Back to the present and back to you, Bolt.
                            "For an athlete to be out of the sport and be saying that is really upsetting," he said Thursday night.
                            [ Related: Bolt makes quick work of 200 field for historic double ]
                            Actually, Bolt took a shot at Lewis earlier in the night in the media zone just off the track. There, he was asked a drug-related question that did involve the name "Victor Conte" but did not involve the name "Carl Lewis." Yet Bolt went there on his own.

"It's really amazing when people talk stupid stuff," Bolt said. "Lewis, nobody remembers who he is. … We [the Jamaicans] work hard, we push ourselves to the limit. I shouldn't even have to respond to that."
                            This could be the tipping point for Bolt. A guy with a huge approval rating and the most mesmerizing performer in sports just gave a whole lot of people a fresh reason to appraise him much more critically.
                            There was fresh reason to celebrate Jamaican speed Thursday, and fresh reason to question it. The tiny island nation swept the podium in the 200, with Bolt taking gold, Yohan Blake silver and Warren Weir bronze. That fulfilled Bolt's pre-race marching orders to Weir: "One, two, tree," he said, to accurately quote Weir's Jamaican diction.
                            [Video: Usain Bolt blasts into history]
                            One-two-tree, indeed. With the sweep in hand, the announcer at Olympic Stadium spoke the truth: "It's going to be a long night in Kingston tonight."
                            But in London, there were questions to be asked and answered. Blake was asked about a three-month doping suspension in 2009 after testing positive for a stimulant.
                            "In life," Blake said, "you have obstacles."
                            In an epic news conference Freudian slip, an American sports writer mistakenly started a question about the Jamaican track team by referring to the "Jamaican drug team." After the laughter in the room died down, the question was asked: Usain, are you sure your team is clean?
                            "Without a doubt," Bolt said. "We train hard. … We do our best to show the world we are clean."
                            Until going after Lewis, Bolt had shown the world that it's possible to be the world's fastest man, have the world's biggest ego and still be the world's most enjoyable athlete.
                            This is normally a toxic combination. We like our superstars humble – even if the humility is false. We've bred an entire generation of athletes who will throw no-hitters, rack up triple-doubles or score four touchdowns only to blandly chalk it all up to great teammates and good luck. That has become the accepted, recommended and even enforced method of analyzing one's own greatness.
                            Not Bolt. Hell no.
                            [ Photos: 'Living legend' Usain Bolt | Athlete page: More on Usain Bolt ]
                            Maybe 20 times Thursday, he referred to himself as a "living legend," after becoming the first sprinter in Olympic history to win the 100 and 200 in consecutive Olympics. He agreed that he is now in the same category as Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan in the pantheon of global sports icons. He put himself on the same level as Bob Marley in terms of importance to Jamaica.
                            And yet it all worked. Why? Because Bolt is the blazing ambassador of fun.
                            Everything is a laugh with Bolt. Everything is a joke. He is true to Jamaican stereotype in his ability to smile in the face of stress.
                            Best example: Before the 200, with the stadium dripping tension, Bolt looked at the girl volunteer who was in charge of his lane on the track.
                            "You're nervous," he said to her.
                            "Yes," she answered.
                            "Why?" he asked.
                            "I'm so excited!" she responded.
                            "That's the thing I like to do," Bolt explained later. "I'll bump a fist for the person carrying my bag, to show appreciation. I know they're over the moon."
                            [ Video: American runner breaks leg and still finishes race ]
                            What American athlete would matter-of-factly acknowledge the fact that he or she sends The Common People over the moon? Bolt does it, and it's fine, because that's just who he is.
                            Of course, it's a lot easier to be a character and a showman if you can back it up. When Bolt was introduced to the crowd before the 200, he mimicked the queen's restrained parade wave; that was big-screen gold. Then he smoked Blake, Weir and the rest of the field.
                            Bolt has backed up the bravado every time he's run an Olympic race. He's 5-for-5, with a relay race still to go here.
                            There's nothing worse than a big talker who can't walk the walk. Or, in this case, run the run. Bolt can run the run.
                            But then Usain Bolt, lovable egomaniac, ran outside his lane. At the height of his glory he stooped to petty shots at an American track legend – not a great look for a champion, not a graceful end to a glorious night.
                            Now we'll see what the fallout will be. It's all glory and celebration in Kingston tonight, but how will killing Carl Lewis play in Peoria?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...arl-lewis.html

Comment

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde
                              To clarify, I have thoroughly enjoyed Bolt. The most likeable arrogant athlete I can remember -- tough to pull off but he does. But ...
                              Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde
                              ... To expend that much energy killing Carl Lewis over old comments on a night of such great achievement was poor form. Enjoy yaself, mon.
                              Pat Forde

Comment

Working...
                              X