RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phelps, the greatest Olympian of all times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phelps, the greatest Olympian of all times?

Is that a fair assessment given the fact that swimming offers so many events to win a medal?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

It's certainly debatable but given the hype surrounding him I would not be surprised if that becomes the mainstream view. Endorsers will love that line.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Exactly Jangle. Greatest swimmer, no doubt about that!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He's the most prolific medalist...not the greatest Olympian

That title has to be bestowed upon a supreme performer...who also manages to transcend sport eg... Jessie Owens or...gasp!... or soon to be ... The Beast?
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Gwan Don1 (mind the Beast bite yuh)
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

How I see it

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            It's certainly debatable but given the hype surrounding him I would not be surprised if that becomes the mainstream view. Endorsers will love that line.
            Think about this I’man: Of the five track and field world records broken in Beijing, Bolt was responsible for three.

In comparison, almost 30 world records were broken in swimming (I think around 27), of which Phelps was responsible for about seven (if my memory is correct).

But like you suggest, much hype was created around Phelps, the great white hope. Can you imagine how privately shocked those executives at NBC and elsewhere in the US media were when a man called Usain Bolt made his appearance and made his presence felt during the second week of the Beijing Olympics (lol)!

I know this thread is not about Phelps vs. Bolt, but I just had to throw in this trend of thought.

Comment

lol
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                Is that a fair assessment given the fact that swimming offers so many events to win a medal?
                It all depends on how you define "greatest". Regardless of the number of opportunities, the fact is that he has more medals than anyone else. That is undisputed...so if that is the standard for "greatest", then he wins. However, I don't believe there is a universally accepted definition otherwise for "greatest", so until then, it is pointless. Be that as it may, the nuances will be lost on the American media who will use the word "greatest" without debate until someone of another nationality surpasses his record. Then they will start that debate. A so dem roll.
                "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Why is your nose growing like that Paul
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

because him is a ole lyad....bout Sewerez is not racist.....but we won't bring that argument over here.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Remember when Donovan Bailey was the 100m world and Olympic champ undisputed fastest man in the world, and them start talk bout Michael Johnson should be the fastest man in the world because his 200m time divided by 2 was better? LOL!
                      Last edited by Islandman; August 1, 2012, 11:41 AM.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I agree, and the comparison is valid.

Someone during the last Olympics said that if T&F had a 50m, a 150m, a 100m running backwards, a 200m without a curve, a medley relay or two, and so on how many medals Jamaican athletes would have.
                        Last edited by Islandman; August 1, 2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

and i agree with you. if the americans believe their own hype then Phelps should have been the biggest thing coming out of that olympics worldwide yet he was not, why?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

and then there was a 150 race and johnson pulled up when he was being beat down in a proper way!

Comment

Before Phelps, who was it that had the most Olympic medals?

There you go!

There was no discussion if that person was the greatest Olympian ever!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X