Brand Bolt-The gold rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand Bolt-The gold rush

The Gold Rush: Sprinting superstar Usain Bolt has hoovered up millions over the past two years, but as the London Olympics approach he's back to the business of being the fastest man on the planet...

By NEIL WILSON
    PUBLISHED: 23:37, 23 May 2012 | UPDATED: 00:45, 24 May 2012

Usain Bolt is in the business of running again. On Friday, in the Czech city of Ostrava, the world’s fastest man returns to Europe to do what comes most naturally to him.
    You could be excused for thinking the last thing on his mind is running at an Olympic Games when you see him all over British television schmoozing with Sir Richard Branson, sprinting past London landmarks, promoting Jamaica as a holiday destination and having fun and games with Prince Harry.

You would be wrong. The only gold that drives him, he made clear on Wednesday, is the one with symbolic value.

What a star he is: Usain Bolt of Jamaica poses for a photo in Ostrava on Wednesday

'I know what I want and if you have a goal and you want it really bad like I do you have to be really focused. I want to repeat the feat of Beijing. That’s the key, that has my focus,' said Bolt, although he could be forgiven if he had been distracted by his dash for cash.
    But his London-based Irish agent Ricky Simms says that, contrary to an impression that Bolt’s ubiquitous presence on screens and in shop windows may give, he has not done a single paid appearance since February.
    Everything being seen now on TV screens and in print demanded his time between October and January, the only window of opportunity his coach Glen Mills allowed his commercial team.
    'I have a great team around me. So if I get off track, they are there to make sure everything is limited, regulated. I want to keep everybody happy but the focus is always the Olympics,' added Bolt.

Charismatic: Bolt jokes during a press conference in Ostrava

Bolt’s attractiveness to the corporate and media arenas is obvious. He is simply one of the world’s most popular people. Only this week Facebook revealed he has a fan base of 6.675million, more than half of whom visited his pages in a single week last year.
    BOLT BY NUMBERS

The price in pounds per second of
    watching Bolt in the 100m Olympic
    final in the best seats in the stadium

The age Bolt was first sponsored
    by Puma after being spotted in a
    schools competition in Kingston

He is the third most Googled sportsperson on the planet, behind Tiger Woods and David Beckham

Per cent — the threatened tax on his prize money and worldwide endorsement income, which is why he pulled out of the London Grand Prix two years ago

How much he earns from image rights and endorsement is believed to add up to more than £8million a year. How much more is a guarded secret. Simms publicly said in 2009 that he wanted Bolt to become the first track and field athlete to earn $10million (£6m plus) in a year.
    Sources in the marketing world say that Simms and Norman Peart, who manages his affairs from Jamaica, talk only to global companies with seven-figure intentions and willing to commit beyond one year.
    Puma, Gatorade and Swiss watchmaker Hublot are his global sponsors. Visa has the right to his name in Europe, Virgin Media in Britain and Ireland, Digicel and headphone maker Soul in the Caribbean. An autobiography has been published, an online game and a mobile app are about to be launched and a BBC documentary is to be screened.
    He allows the Jamaica Tourist Board to use his name and image for free. ‘For his country,’ says Simms simply.
    He has given endorsement to Regupol, the track manufacturer that laid the surface in the Berlin Olympic Stadium on which he set his world 100 metres record in 2009, in return for laying a track at no cost for his group’s training at the university in Kingston.
    On the track he earns at a rate around $30,000 a second, or $7,300 a stride, alone among athletes in being in the $300,000 (£190,000) appearance range.

Unforgettable: Bolt celebrates winning the 200m at the Beijing Olympics in 2008

Stunning time: Bolt poses next to a scoreboard after beating the 200m world record in Beijing

For that price a promoter, such as Friday's meet director Jan Zelezny, the three-time Olympic javelin champion, get just 41 of his massive strides over 100m, lasting hopefully less than 9.80sec. He will run again for the same fee in Rome next week and in Oslo a week later and finally in July — before the Olympic Games — a 200m in Monte Carlo. He would, he said, have liked to have run again in London before the Games but UK tax laws rule that out.
    'It’s pretty sad that I can’t compete at the London meet because they are pretty much all Jamaicans there. But at the Olympics every Jamaican will be there and they’ll get one of the most awesome shows, I think. And the cheers will be louder because they haven’t seen me for so long,’ said Bolt.

Laughs are never far away: Bolt will be the main attraction on Friday, and for most of the summer

After the Olympics expect at least another three lucrative races that will take his season’s gross for putting one foot in front of another quickly to more than $2m.
    The value he gives is tremendous. On Wednesday he gave a 30-minute media conference but only after spending an hour joshing with primary school children for the benefit of television and photographers, starting races and letting six five-year-olds beat him over 60m. ‘My jeans were too tight. I’ll wear shorts next time. I don’t like losing any race,’ he joked.
    Zelezny expects all 21,000 seats in the Mestsky Stadium to be filled on Friday. There are a host of other Olympic and world champions competing but all among them accept that it is Bolt that is the magnet. His 200m rival, American Wallace Spearmon, described him recently as the 'saviour of the sport'.

Another Usain fan: Bolt speaks to a young boy in Ostrava

'A lot of people have said it and I think maybe it’s true. I definitely have done a great deal for the sport. I’ve really worked hard at it,' said Bolt.
    'After Beijing, I’ve tried hard to put fire into the sport and now, not only me, but others have stepped up to make sure people are watching.
    'Most athletes are loosening up like me, really enjoying the sport, so, yes, I think I’ve changed the sport in a better way. It (athletics) is never a pressure for me. It’s just fun. I still enjoy doing it.'
    And can he repeat the feat of Beijing by winning 100m and 200m in world record times in London?

'As long as I am in great shape, nobody will beat me in London. That’s for sure,' he said

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...#ixzz1vm7XbznX

The hottest property in athletics: Why nobody can keep up with Brand Bolt

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 23:38, 23 May 2012 | UPDATED: 00:47, 24 May 2012

Sponsors have been queuing up to do deals with Usain Bolt since he set the world of athletics alight in Beijing. His Puma deal alone is believed to be worth £12.5million.
    Although his finances are a closely guarded secret, he is believed to earn £8m-£10m a year from sponsorship, most of which are five-year deals that tie him up until the 2017 World Athletics Championships in London.
    All told, ‘Brand Bolt’ is worth somewhere in the region of £50m.

Golden touch: Usain Bolt with his Puma shoes outside Beijing's Birds Nest Stadium
    GLOBAL MARKET ENDORSEMENTS

Puma (clothing and shoes) — believed to be five-year deal worth £2.5m per year with performance-related add-ons
    Gatorade (sports drinks) — believed to be £2m-£3m a year, but Bolt also gets a bonus every time he is pictured drinking it
    Hublot (watches) — unknown

Nice touch: Bolt 'races' some children in Ostrava on Wednesday
    LOCAL ENDORSEMENTS

Visa (credit cards) Europe only — believed to be between £500,000-£1m, like all Visa ambassadors, but may have received one-off payment for adverts
    Virgin Media (broadband) Britain and Ireland — believed to be £2m, with majority given in down payment

What a pair: Bolt with Sir Richard Branson in Jamaica last year

Regupol (German track company) — paid in kind with installation of track at his training venue in Jamaica
    Digicel (mobile phones) Caribbean and Central America — believed to be £100,000
    SOUL (headphones) Caribbean — believed to be £100,000

He's not short of a few bob: Bolt at a press conference in Ostrava on Wednesday

Bolt lets the Jamaica Tourist Board use his name and image without payment, as they did in TV advertising with Virgin Holidays and Puma this year
    His family has a financial interest in Tracks and Records, a restaurant franchise, and he is a director of Sherwood Holdings and UB Management, which look after his affairs
    He will shortly announce an online game and a mobile app.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...#ixzz1vm8Lgj00

Comment

He should be making significantly more for a global star.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

If he wins the expected golds, not to mention if he breaks another WR, then he might have to buy his own bank to store his money.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

In that case..I hope he was saving his money...

Comment

...as well as have a good financial planner...
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Skateboarder/snowboarder money him a mek.

Shaun White:

White has had a sponsor since he was seven years old. White signed CAA Sports for representation after working with IMG for eight years.[15] Corporate endorsement deals include or have included Burton Snowboards, Oakley, Inc., Birdhouse Skateboards, Park City Mountain Resort, Target Corporation, Red Bull, Ubisoft, Adio and Hewlett-Packard. White also has his own character on the game Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder as well as the video game Shaun White Snowboarding and the upcoming video game Shaun White Skateboarding. In 2009, Forbes magazine estimated that he had earned $9 million from his endorsements in 2008
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Right you are sah, wi haffi creep before wi walk. Di yout a gwaan well fi a track athlete not many if any ah guh mek dem sort a money deh inna dem track life.

Comment

watch how wi ah guh dweet..

is joke wi ah joke out dis ting..

Comment

Working...
                  X