• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracey Retraces: Hops, Steps & Jumps from MVP to Racers

,,, ah wha suh?

Tracey Makes Switch From MVP To Racers
    Published: Saturday | September 24, 2011

Raymond Graham, Gleaner Writer

FORMER Edwin Allen High School outstanding intermediate hurdler, Ristananna Tracey, is no longer a member of the MVP Track Club as she cut her ties in less than three months to join neigbouring Racers Track Club.

Tracey, the country fastest-ever junior athlete in the 400 metres hurdles with a time of 54.58 seconds, which was done at the senior National Championships last June, and who is the second-fastest junior female ever in the event, made her move in midweek.

Only Xing Wang of China, who clocked a world record 54.40 seconds on October 21, 2005 in Nanjina, China, has gone faster than Tracey as a junior.

After an outstanding high school career at Edwin Allen, especially the past year when she registered her personal best in three events - 400 metres, 400 metres hurdles and 800 metres - Tracey joined MVP Track Club three weeks before the National Senior Championships.

Change of heart

At the time, Tracey stated that she had made the best move, unlike most athletes out of high school who moved on to overseas shores. The plan then was for the 19-year-old Tracey to attend the University of Technology (UTech), where she would team up with two of the world's top 400 metres hurdlers - Melaine Walker and Kaliese Spencer - as training partners, to make it the deadliest intermediate hurdling trio in the world.

Tracey, who was very excited at the time, stated then that it was the best thing she had done.

"Melaine and Kaliese are my role models and for me it is a dream come true by joining up with the two," she said at the time.

However, things have taken a dramatic turn since then as Tracey, who went to Europe as a member of the MVP training group, has had a change of heart and, according to reliable sources, things have not gone well with her at MVP and she has decided to cut her stay and move on to Racers, where she will join the likes of top 100 and 200 metres runners Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake, along with the vastly improved Schillone Calvert, Rosemarie Whyte and Davita Prendagast. All were members of the Jamaica team to the Daegu World Championships.

"Ristananna is a member of the Racers Track Club, as she moved in midweek, and we are happy to have her in the group as she is an outstanding athlete and we are looking forward to working with her," said a senior member of Racers Track Club, who requested anonymity.

When contacted, the president of MVP, Bruce James, said: "Based on my discussion with Ristananna, at this moment I am not willing to go public with any statement concerning her."

Tracey's former coach at Edwin Allen High, Michael Dyke, was also contacted, and while he did not deny the move, he declined to comment on the matter.
    Last edited by Don1; September 24, 2011, 08:21 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

more than likely she feel she is not getting as much attention as the big two. She maybe more motivated to challenge them now. Hope it work for her.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

let's hear the real deal from the Donkey's Mouth

bray Br'er Donkey..bray
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

maybe them just don't get along

Comment

seems logical to me..

Comment

Off topic - ...both Racers and MVP

need to look to recruiting from the high school coaches. It is fact (Hi Willi!) that many of these are world class coaches.

...and for those who think that deplete or lower the coaching standards at the junior athlete level/in our high schools forgetaboutit!

There are many waiting to fill the positions that would then be available.

As fact, some of those in the wings need to look outside of the island for coaching jobs. Too many are underemployed or not even in field.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Whats the point here Karl?
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                Whats the point here Karl?
                Ditto
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
                  maybe them just don't get along
                  During the Sherome Simpson 'fled to racers' saga we heard that there is a Madame who rules MVP. What is the reason this saga?
                  The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Steeeupps

Kemar B-Cole is her boyfriend.
                    Go read CaribTFF

Comment

Not many, a few...Like Grant and Willo and Shand and a few others. Dont exaggerate!

Shand now with Racers.

We need more Clubs. I hope Grant can start a Pro-Club in MoBay.

Comment

How so?

This is 400m HURDLES. Who will coach her? Who will push her in training?

Not sure the move is wise, but she is an adult.

sprints or male 400m, I can understand.

Comment

Soon all will become clear grasshopper..

Comment

Waiting patiently...

The heiress to the throne is Kaliese. It would have been good for Rista to stay close to her...

Comment

Very Good Point!

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              How so?

This is 400m HURDLES. Who will coach her? Who will push her in training?

Not sure the move is wise, but she is an adult.

sprints or male 400m, I can understand.
                              Very good point, Willi.

At MVP, which has a highly successful record with female sprinters and hurdlers, Rista would have had the influence of both Melaine Walker (the second fastest female 400-meter hurdler in history) and the young Kaleise Spencer (the eighth or ninth fastest female hurdler in history) to push her to greater heights. Working out with these two giants might have brought immense benefits.

Racers is a good club, of course, but so far there is no outstanding result in the female sprints and in the hurdles to talk about. The success of Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake and Daniel Bailey and Kim Collins does not necessarily mean that Rista would be equally successful at Racers. I’m not sure why she made this surprising move.

Comment

Working...
                              X