Bolt/Blake raw numbers comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt/Blake raw numbers comparison

Number's dont lie. Usain is better than Blake but work ethic can make a big difference in 2012.

Jamaica's Usain Bolt (right) and Yohan Blake in a party mood after Jamaica set a world record of 37.04 seconds in the men's sprint relay at the IAAF World Championships earlier this month. - AP

André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

The very foundations of sprint deity Usain Bolt's supremacy were shaken on Friday, after his protégé Yohan Blake surprised many - including the big Jamaican - by powering to a 19.26 seconds clocking in the 200m at the IAAF [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Diamond [COLOR=blue !important]League
    [/color] curtain-closer in Brussels, Belgium.[/color]

It was the second-fastest time ever over the distance; bettered only by Bolt's 19.19 world-record run posted at the 2009 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]IAAF [COLOR=blue !important]World[COLOR=blue !important]Championships[/color][/color][/color] in Athletics in Berlin, Germany.[/color]

For Blake, it was the perfect end to the final three weeks of his 2011 season, after his 100m triumph at this year's 'Worlds' in Daegu, South Korea, which, ironically, came after Bolt was disqualified for false starting the final.

Blake on the rise

It was also a baptism of sorts for the 21-year-old and a strong statement to those who were convinced that his Daegu triumph came by default given Bolt's absence.

The question that now lingers is would Blake have got the better of his more celebrated training partner in Daegu? It's a question that will continue to linger until the two meet next, perhaps at next year's Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association/Supreme Ventures National Senior[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Championships[/color] and at the Olympic Games in London. The two have been kept away from each other in 2011, and it will not be a surprise if the same is done leading into next summer's spectacle.[/color]

"That's amazing for me. I'm shocked he did so well," Bolt told reporters after watching his good friend threaten his world record, a mere seven hundredth of a second faster.

"I've seen him run a couple of 200m and he's run them badly. I told him to take it easy round the bend. He ran a wild time," Bolt added before joking: "This is where the tutoring stops."

"Lessons taught ... lesson well received, on to next year," Bolt tweeted on Saturday.

Glen Mills, the man who conditions both athletes, must be far less surprised, as he had assured all that young Blake would come good at the World Championships, following his second-place finish at the national trials in June.

"Come World Championships, we will see the best from Yohan as I expect a lot of fireworks from him," Mills said during an exclusive interview with Gleaner reporter Raymond 'KC' Graham.

The jaw-dropping run in Brussels was bound to happen sooner or later, given the immense promise shown by the former St Jago [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]High [COLOR=blue !important]School[/color][/color]star athlete during his years as a junior athlete.[/color]

Blake, whose 10.11 seconds remains the current national junior record over 100m - a time he registered as a 17-year-old, had by then also broken the 21-second barrier in the 200m with a best of 20.62.

Comparatively, Bolt was already running 20.13 at this stage of his development and soon afterwards, lowered his personal best to a mind-blowing 19.93 - four months before his 18th birthday.

Blake, the 2005 IAAF World Youth Championships 100m bronze medalist, really took things to another level two years ago in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Paris[/color], where he dipped below 10 seconds for the first time in a 100m, clocking 9.93 while still only 19 years old.[/color]

Many close times

Last year, the 20-year-old Blake improved his 200m mark to 19.78, just three-hundredths of a second slower than Bolt's 19.75 personal best at that age.

A day before his 22nd birthday, Bolt sped to a world record 19.30, while Blake's 19.26 came three months before his 22nd birthday.

Over 100m, the similarities are also stark, with Blake running faster times than the Olympic champion at this age. At 20 years and 11 months, Bolt, who was just beginning to 'fool around' with the event, had gone 10.03 while Blake had already registered a staggering 9.89 seconds. While approaching 22, Bolt's best mark was 9.69, which gave him a world record and gold medal in Beijing while at the same stage, Blake's best currently stands at 9.82 - a time he posted twice in a three-day span earlier this month.

[/color]
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Same planet.Look at the numbers
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Sickko? Any comments? Willi?

Comment

If Bolt tek the training seriously, as I expect he will, its a wrap for London.

Comment

Haven't read the article yet, too nervous watching Man United crush Chelsea but I will say that given Bolt's poor or rather truncated off season preparation for the 2011 season due to injury set backs, given that he finished this season healthy and if he stays healthy through the off-season and is able to prepare well, he will crush any and every thing next year.

Dont forget that while every one were able to run early season races, Bolt had several lay offs including in May and those pauses must have affected him at some point
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

based on what ?

Are you doubting his form when he set the record ?

Who looks more likely to materially improve in the 200.. Bolt or Yohan ?

Critical Thinking.. take the emotion out of it...

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
              based on what ?

Are you doubting his form when he set the record ?

Who looks more likely to materially improve in the 200.. Bolt or Yohan ?

Critical Thinking.. take the emotion out of it...

It depends on what you mean by improvement

Bolt can do beter than what in he did in 2011, is that improvement?

Bolt probably can run faster than 9.58, not sure how much faster. I recently saw some mathematical analysis that indicate that he was on track to win faster than 9.58 when he started show boating in 2008.

Blake can definately join the 9.8 club, that is improvement but if he break the 9.58 record them I will tape up my mouth like Oral Tracey did after he said that Asafa could not medal in 2009.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Based on what I know directly from his inner circle. In 2009, Bolt was still short of work. Caan seh nuh more.

Comment

yuh seh tuh much arready!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Chu dat. LoL

Oh no I said too much
                    But I didnt say enuff...

Comment

uh oh ..... yuh losing yuh religion, eh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

dats a stretch fi use one run fi reach dat deh conclusion, membah Worl record run inna 4 rounds a competition.

Comment

Working...
                        X