Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LoL

Yuh have it wrong.
    Rolle is her coach, but I have only met him twice.

Kerron is kool, but I would never claim to be a Kerronist. I never had her beating SAF or VC since 2008.

Is better you say SS. She is potentially the fastest in my book.

Comment

Suspicious minds: why doping always is on mine
      • Share82 trblib.jQuery(function() { trblib.require('http://w.sharethis.com/button/buttons.js', function() { stLight.options({ publisher:'4b7449a5-38e2-462a-a6cd-97326133f123', onhover: false, newOrZero: 'zero' }); }); });

• (function() { var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true; po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s); })();

Track & Field News cover celebrating Butch Reynolds' world record in the 400 meters. (Track & Field News)

Globetrotting by Philip Hersh 4:42 p.m. CDT, September 21, 2011

One day at the 1997 World Track and Field Championships in Athens, Greece, the Sunday Times of London writer David Walsh asked me if I were writing about doping in every story.

This was a few years before Walsh published two books about Lance Armstrong, in which the writer laid out a convincing case that the cyclist had doped, albeit one without a smoking gun. Doping had become Walsh's white whale, and his monomania was understandable.

I replied to David that I did not feel it was necessary to mention doping in every story, even if it always was at the front of my mind in writing about the statistical exploits of track and field athletes.

I bring this up because of the reaction to a Globetrotting entry I wrote last week after Jamaica's Yohan Blake ran a startling time of 19.26 seconds in the 200 meters at the Diamond League meet in Brussels. In the story, I raised the question of whether doping could have been involved.

That strongest negative reaction, not surprisingly, was in Jamaica. So a Jamaican radio station, KLAS Sports, invited me to discuss it on the air Monday.

The hosts asked me what I thought about U.S. athlete Kevin Young's 19-year-old world record (46.78) seconds in the 400 hurdles. (The time was nearly a second faster - .94 - than Young's previous personal best. Young came wthin a half second of it just once more; it is the only time ever under 47 seconds in the event.)

My answer was, in essence, strong suspicion that doping played a part. (And they agreed).

They asked me whether there was a lot of suspicion about Carl Lewis after it was revealed years after the fact that he had a positive test for a stimulant declared negative by the U.S. Olympic Committee at a time (1988) when a claim of inadvertent use could be exculpatory.

My answer: there was suspicion about Carl Lewis dating back to the 1983 world championships.

Without being asked, I brought up new world 100-meter champion Carmelita Jeter of the United States, who suddenly began running remarkably fast three seasons ago at age 29. She has been consistently fast since -- and, as a colleague has pointed out, no woman in history has been faster older. I told my radio hosts her performances have raised my eyebrows.
      At the end of a 20-minute interview, they asked me if I were suspicious about everything exceptional that happens in the sport.

My answer: yes.

How can it be otherwise, after years of having star track athletes test positive; admit guilt; be named in the doping records unearthed when the Berlin Wall fell; and have statistically shocking performances, like Blake's and many, many others?

(And, yes, my Spidey sense about the possibility Blake had doped was heightened by his having failed a test for a banned stimulant in 2009.)
      My published suspicions aren't limited to track, and my sense of the word "exceptional" is broad.
      function showExtras(elm, link, text){ var obj = $(elm); var link = $(link); var elmTop = (obj.getHeight() + 10) * (-1); if(obj.style.display == 'none'){ obj.style.top = elmTop + "px"; link.innerHTML = 'Hide more ' + text + ' »'; new Effect.Parallel([ new Effect.Move(obj, { sync: true, x: link.getWidth(), y: (obj.getHeight() + 10) * (-1), mode: 'absolute' }), new Effect.AppearItems(obj, { sync: true, from: 0, to: 1}) ], { duration: 1 }); } else { new Effect.Parallel([ new Effect.Move(obj, { sync: true, x: link.getWidth() * (-1), y: 0, mode: 'absoulte' }), new Effect.FadeItems(obj, { sync: true, from: 1, to: 0 }) ], { duration: 1 }); link.innerHTML = 'See more ' + text + ' »'; } } // These are customized methods b/c the scriptaculous ones where throwing error. These should be re-evaluated at a later date. Effect.FadeItems = function(element) { element = $(element); var oldOpacity = 0; var options = Object.extend({ from: element.getOpacity() || 1.0, to: 0.0, afterFinishInternal: function(effect) { if (effect.options.to!=0) return; effect.element.hide().setStyle({opacity: oldOpacity}); } }, arguments[1] || { }); return new Effect.Opacity(element,options); }; Effect.AppearItems = function(element) { element = $(element); var options = Object.extend({ from: (element.getStyle('display') == 'none' ? 0.0 : element.getOpacity() || 0.0), to: 1.0, // force Safari to render floated elements properly afterFinishInternal: function(effect) { if(Prototype.Browser.WebKit) { effect.element.forceRerendering(); } }, beforeSetup: function(effect) { effect.element.setOpacity(effect.options.from).sho w(); }}, arguments[1] || { }); return new Effect.Opacity(element,options); };
      • <LI class=relatedTitle>Globetrotting by Philip Hersh <LI class=columnistBio>
        <LI class=columnistLinks>Bio | Recent columns <LI class="relatedTitle geoMap" sizset="24" sizcache="8">Maps
      • Jamaica

I expressed doubts about the performances of Irish swimmer Michelle Smith at the 1996 Olympics. In a story headlined, "Red Flag Raised Over Smith's Great Waves," I quoted Irish Olympic Committee President Pat Hickey saying, "The Americans are jealous this swimmer from a little country like Ireland took a gold medal off them. . .There is nothing to justify (the doping suggestions)."
      Hickey's reaction is similar to comments Jamaicans have made to my story about Blake: the overbearing Americans picking on a little country they no longer can beat.
      But two years after Smith won three golds at the 1996 Olympics, she was banned for manipulating a doping control with alcohol. Even that manipulation could not hide the evidence of a banned steroid in her sample.
      I also wondered out loud in 2000 how U.S. swimmer Dara Torres could be swimming career-best times after her first 7-year retirement led to the 2000 Olympics, when she was only 33 years old.
      When she was widely celebrated for coming out of another retirement to make the 2008 Olympics at age 41, I wrote, "The hype over Torres as a swimmer conveniently overlooks doubts about how she is faster at sprint events in 2008 than she was in 1988." I just don't believe her 2008 times owed entirely to the advantage of the bodysuits that would be called "technological doping" before being banned last year.
      And don't even get me started on cycling.

The choice is between being justifiably suspicious and being embarrassingly naive. Even bringing up doping, then getting a denial from the subject -- as I did in a long pre-Sydney profile of Marion Jones -- often leaves one wanting to take three showers after finishing the story.
      One might ask then why we write about people whose achievements raise questions. The answer is that one cannot ignore a Marion Jones or a Dara Torres or a Michelle Smith.
      Unlike most U.S. professional sports, at least until lately, track and field has made a determined if occasionally Sisyphean effort to catch cheaters through more and more drug testing. (So has cycling.)

But testing is flawed enough that it remains relatively easy to beat. The BALCO story, involving the designer drug THG, showed how fooling with a few molecules can create a substance that went undetected for years. There undoubtedly are other such drugs being used now by elite athletes in many sports.

As I have written in the past, the saddest part of the situation is athletes who claim to be clean cannot prove that indisputably, and cheaters often cannot be caught.

Which brings me back to another anecdote related to the one involving my conversation with David Walsh.

About 10 months after then 400-meter world record-holder Butch Reynolds tested positive for a steroid and was banned from the sport for two years, I went to interview him in Columbus, Ohio. During several hours of conversation, Reynolds denied doping, insisted he could say that and look in the mirror with no shame and asserted the positive was a mistake. I would write all that in the story.

At one point in our conversation, the thoroughly likable Reynolds asked, "Do you believe me?'' I said something to the effect of, "I want to, but I hope you will understand if I cannot say that without hesitation because other athletes who hadn't tested positive have told me the same thing before getting caught later."

Much as he wished for a different answer, Reynolds accepted with grace and no bitterness the one I gave.

That happened 20 years ago.

I was suspicious then. I am more suspicious now.

For all that, I am still writing about track and field because the sport's universality, its events and characters - from hulking shotputters to waifish distance runners - and its intriguing tactics and techniques all fascinate me.

Sometimes I find it necessary to bring up doping.

But I still do not mention it in every story. Not even many stories. Just when it cannot be overlooked.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

reasonable?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

'no woman in history has been faster older'. Interesting.

Comment

yes it is.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Mi C Weh Him A Seh

Comment

yes.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

think so too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

BUT ... as a jamaican....until they find out seh dem doping support support support!

and i will continue to question the americans! hypocrisy? maybe! but mi a support mi jamaicans...mi a when dem win and when dem lose or drop di baton ... or anything else!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

• SS terrible running form.
                      Always was!

She may recover her best form...but do not expect her to run faster than VCB, SAF or Keron anytime soon.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

• This thread is historic going to 900 plus and counting , are we that defensive?
                        What are we going to say about Jazeel Murphy when he shatters Bolt records in 3 years?

Doped ?
                        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

• Very
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

• You need to check Merlene Ottey's times and see how old she was when she ran them...just saying...
                            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

• True.

Merlene ran her PB 10.74 at 36 years old. Jeter running nuff 10.6 and 10.7flats. No 30 odd year old woman ever did that before.

Comment

• true!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X