• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt also apologises

Sport
    Bolt also apologises
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.om

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Close on the heels of Yohan Blake's apology for misbehaving on the podium during the playing of the National Anthem after winning the gold medal in the 4x100m relay on Sunday's final day of the IAAF World Championships, 200m champion Usain Bolt has made his own Mea Culpa.

Blake and Bolt were seen on television clowning around during the playing of the National Anthem wile the flag was being raised in the stadium in Daegu, South Korea after they had set a new world record of 37.04 seconds.

BOLT… as an Ambassador for the sport and my country, I know my responsibilities and I will never do anything to put that in jeopardy

BOLT… as an Ambassador for the sport and my country, I know my responsibilities and I will never do anything to put that in jeopardy 1/1

The other two members of the team, Nesta Carter and Michael Frater, who were also on the podium, did not join in the antics.

Bolt, who is an Ambassador at large for the country and who was awarded the Order of Jamaica after his exploits at the 2008 Olympics and 2009 World Championships, said in a statement issued through his publicist Carole Beckford late Monday: "At no point I had any intention to be disrespectful to the anthem or to the people who support me."

Blake, who had won the 100m title and ran the third leg of the 4x100m relay handing over to Bolt had on Monday evening issued an apology through his agent Cubie Seegobin.

Bolt added in the statement: "I would like to apologise for what could have seemed to be inappropriate behaviour on the podium on the playing of the National Anthem for the 4x100m medal ceremony."

The double sprint world record holder said "My teammates and I were extremely overjoyed that we took the world record. As an Ambassador for the sport and my country, I know my responsibilities and I will never do anything to put that in jeopardy.

"I would therefore like to apologise again and will do all in my power to maintain my status and actions in keeping with being a Jamaican ambassador and ultimately an ambassador for track and field."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1XHAWLmv0
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

A former JAAA president pointed out to me last night that Bolt could have been thrown out of the meet after he took off his shirt following the false start.

According to the person, that is a no no as far as track is concerned AND yes Mosiah, his throwing the baton in thew air after crossing the line9in the 4x100m.

This is not my opinion Mosiah, this is what i was told.

Wonder if i can conspire with the starter to DQ that fine black French sprinter and make her take off her top as well....hmmmm
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
    X