• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rein in Usain before it’s too late

Rein in Usain before it’s too late

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Dear Editor,

Although I am in danger of being “tarred and feathered”, I am willing to take that risk. Let me state emphatically that I am one of the thousands who are extremely proud of the phenomenal feats performed by our “super-athlete” Usain Bolt.

Usain Bolt (left) and Yohan Blake

Usain Bolt (left) and Yohan Blake 1/1

However, I see something developing that needs to be dealt with before it gets out of hand, and that is Usain's excessive “youthful exuberance”. I do not have a problem with his “antics” before and after his races because in the former it helps him to relax and in the latter it is celebratory, but when the National Anthem is being played no form of gimmickry is acceptable and it does not matter what you have achieved, “it nuh look good”.

So I am imploring those who are responsible for the mentoring of this young man not to overindulge in “star worship” , but rein him in before it reaches the stage where he becomes haughty, puffed up and overbearing. Sit him down and give him a talk on limits and what is proper and what is poor behaviour. Let him know that as he continues to shine he must remain humble, because as mamma used to tell me, “There is a time and place for everything, and the higher monkey climb is the more him expose himself.”

I am aware that Yohan Blake is also guilty of the “Anthem antics” but truth be told, I believe he was merely copying Usain.

Daniel Daley

daley_danny@yahoo.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/Rein-...#ixzz1XB8bceUI
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

And with all of Usain's antics, it seems to me that Blake is getting more heat for the anthem fiasco. Usain was also childish and disrespectful during the anthem playing, but he seems beyond criticism.

He is out of control, disrespectful, puerile and arrogant. Talking Usain here. But, oh, he is the greatest athlete in history!

My bad!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did you see the responses on the Observer page as they attacked the letter writer?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Unoo too badmind and envious!

Well thats the Jamaican explanation for any kind of criticism, isn't it?
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No, but I will go read them now.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Read them, and I must say, I am shocked!

Who I really pity though is Yohan Blake, a mere copycat of everything Bolt does, not just on the track! He looks silly, mimicking every stupid action displayed by Bolt.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Reign een di man fi wah, mek di man free out himself. Di young yout mek a mistake by a gesture inna di ceremony an dats it. Wi jus need sittn fi chat as per usual. Mi si Usain a sing di anthem which odah athlete eben duh dat or know di words much less, low di yout mek him strive cho.

Comment

not surprised any more.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not shocked in the least.

The the other thing thats amusing about Jamaican debates, when the indefensible cannot be defended any more there is always the " Why unoo nah talk bout the crime and the economy?" argument. LOL.

We nuh easy at all. Maybe one day we will see the value in constructive criticism and not think any opinion different from our own is due to some agenda.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

We soon see the ones that it is because we grudge them and we cant run fast like them and win medal and money...
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

how true ... and HOW TRUE!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Read them, and I must say, I am shocked!

Who I really pity though is Yohan Blake, a mere copycat of everything Bolt does, not just on the track! He looks silly, mimicking every stupid action displayed by Bolt.

Maybe Yohan is a clone in the making. I really notice that he mimicks everything Bolt does.
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                          Not shocked in the least.

The the other thing thats amusing about Jamaican debates, when the indefensible cannot be defended any more there is always the " Why unoo nah talk bout the crime and the economy?" argument. LOL.

We nuh easy at all. Maybe one day we will see the value in constructive criticism and not think any opinion different from our own is due to some agenda.

AMEN, AMEN
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            And with all of Usain's antics, it seems to me that Blake is getting more heat for the anthem fiasco. Usain was also childish and disrespectful during the anthem playing, but he seems beyond criticism.

He is out of control, disrespectful, puerile and arrogant. Talking Usain here. But, oh, he is the greatest athlete in history!

My bad!
                            wow. methinks though dost protest too much. why the....vitriol.?!

Comment

No sooner said than done
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X