• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake apologises for ‘dissing’ National Anthem

Blake apologises for ‘dissing’ National Anthem
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

MONTEGO BAY, St James — IAAF World Championships 100m champion Yohan Blake has apologised for his actions during the playing of the Jamaica National Anthem during the presentation ceremony for the men's 4x100m relay on Sunday’s final day of the 13th IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea.

The 21-year-old Blake, who won two gold medals at his first major senior championships, has been harshly criticised by a wide cross section of the Jamaican population after he was seen clowning around during the anthem.

Jamaica’s world record 4X100-metre men’s relay team of (from left) Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Michael Frater and Nesta acknowledge the crowd after being presented with their medals at the recently-concluded 13th IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea on Sunday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)

Jamaica’s world record 4X100-metre men’s relay team of (from left) Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Michael Frater and Nesta acknowledge the crowd after being presented with their medals at the recently-concluded 13th IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea on Sunday. (Photo: Bryan Cummings) 1/1

Callers to talk shows criticised the former St Jago High runner and questioned his maturity.

Blake, who won the men's 100m in the absence of defending champion Usain Bolt, ran the third leg of the 4x100m team that clocked a time of 37.04 seconds, erasing the previous mark of 37.10 seconds set by the Jamaicans at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

Nesta Carter ran the first leg, handing over the baton to Michael Frater, while Bolt ran the anchor leg.

In a response through his agent, Cubie Seegobin yesterday, Blake said: “I apologise unreservedly for my behaviour and will ensure it never happens again as I continue to strive to be a good ambassador for Jamaica.”

Blake, who arrived in London with the other members of his Racers Track Club teammates, including Bolt yesterday, said it was never his intention to be disrespectful. “I realise that my actions during the playing of our National Anthem could be interpreted as being disrespectful. This was certainly not my intention as I had only just competed at the very highest level and was still overjoyed because of the overwhelming successes just achieved for my team and country.”

He said, however, that in the future he needs to keep his emotions in check. “Nevertheless I know that my emotions must be kept firmly in check during important ceremonies such as these, which demand absolute adherence to protocol.”

Blake had held his nerves and was a picture of maturity on the second day of the championships after seeing Bolt, his training partner, disqualified for a false start and went on to win the event in a season-best 9.92 seconds into a negative wind.

Prior to this, his only individual medal in an IAAF event was bronze at the World Junior Championships in Beijing, China in 2006.

He will run three more races on the professional circuit before returning home — the 100m in Zurich on Thursday, Berlin on Sunday, before running a 200m in Brussels, Belgium on September 16.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1XB1wWkWj
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Keep your apology! It was clearly written by someone else and I'm not sure Yohan himself has even seen it!

Starting acting like yuh have sense. That is apology enuff for me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did they teach comprehension at Munro? Did you not see that it came through his agent who i assumed would have spoken to him first...jeese louise..
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Let's not even go there, Sickko. I did not read the article here. I saw it on TV and they mentioned nothing about his agent. Matters not. Doubt he understands what happened and what he is apologising for.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thats a bit harsh Mosiah.

He may not have written it but it does not mean he isn't aware he did something wrong.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

is your 815 phone working...
            Che Guevara.

Comment

No. Buy me a charger, please.

I will call and cuss yuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The problem with that apology is...it is riddled with untruths. Makes it seem less than genuine.

Even so, what really matters is how he conducts himself from hereon.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Agreed.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Where Is The Video?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      No. Buy me a charger, please.

I will call and cuss yuh!

What kind of charger yuh use?
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

dodge ... watch an si!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          The problem with that apology is...it is riddled with untruths. Makes it seem less than genuine.

Even so, what really matters is how he conducts himself from hereon.
                          I don't understand...what untruths?

Comment

AS much as I hate to say this I will. I agree with Mosiah 100%
                            "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

For their individual gold medals, both were well behaved during the national anthem. However, for the team gold, they were two clowns while the other two team members well well composed.
                              "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Working...
                              X