X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iaaf Bent To Bolt !

Just When You Least Expect It -- a Record

Published: September 4, 2011

DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA — It was not the most symbolic finish to these world championships: Usain Bolt sprinting unaccompanied with a 10-meter lead on his way to another world record.

These world track and field championships, which ended on Sunday night, were more about phenomenal duels than phenomenal times and as much about Bolt’s human frailty as his superman tendencies.

But Bolt and his Jamaican teammates certainly succeeded in leaving a dazzling final impression. Largely because of Bolt, the sport’s governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations, had displaced the men’s 4-by-400-meter relay from its traditional spot as the last race of the championships and replaced it with the 4-by-100.

Many an athlete — and not just 400 runners — grumbled about the switch. But the I.A.A.F. did indeed get its exclamation point as the Jamaican team of Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Yohan Blake and Bolt produced the only world record of the meet, winning in a time of 37.04 seconds that brooked no argument.

That was six-hundredths of a second faster than the previous record that Carter, Frater and Bolt set with Asafa Powell running the anchor leg in Beijing at the 2008 Olympics. That was also the same Olympics at which the Jamaican women, heavy favorites for gold, dropped the baton and failed to finish.

“We were saying that, ‘You’ve got to be careful because we really got a shock when the girls dropped their baton,”’ Bolt said. “So we were saying, ‘Just make sure we get the baton around.’ But after I saw the guys’ first three legs, I knew they were running really hard. They really put their all into it, so I decided, why not give my all, also?

“So I went out there, and I ran hard and kept on looking at the clock and kept on saying, ‘I can do this. I can do it.’ So I ran through the line, and it was exciting to see the world record.”

It was the second gold medal in two nights for Bolt, who started the championships by being disqualified from the 100 meters after a false start. The 100 gold went instead to Blake, his Jamaican teammate and training partner. But on Saturday, Bolt reaffirmed his presence by running the fourth-fastest 200 meters of all time to win in 19.40 seconds. He was soon dancing on the track, and he danced again with Blake on Sunday.

“I’m very happy with myself to know that I started off on a bad note but ended on a good one,” he said. “I’m very proud of the team.”

It was hardly a clean sweep for Jamaica, however. The American women won their 4-by-100 relay earlier in the night as their team of Bianca Knight, Allyson Felix, Marshevet Myers and Carmelita Jeter ran the fastest time in 14 years to win in 41.56 seconds with Jamaica in second in 41.70.

Other winners on closing night included Christian Taylor of the United States in the men’s triple jump, Tatyana Lysenko of Russia in the women’s hammer throw, Mariya Savinova of Russia in the women’s 800 and Mo Farah of Britain in the men’s 5,000 in yet another compelling race in which he held off former world champion Bernard Lagat of the United States in the closing meters.

Savinova won by outkicking the defending champion, Caster Semenya of South Africa. Semenya became a cause célèbre at the 2009 world championships in Berlin, emerging from obscurity to overwhelm the 800 field and trigger an extended controversy about gender.

This time, with no backbeat of protest and no flurry of complaints from Semenya’s competitors, Savinova passed her with about 25 meters remaining to win in one minute 55.87 seconds.

Semenya, arms clenched as she strained to finish, was second in 1:56.35, Janeth Jepkosgei Busienei of Kenya third in 1:57.42 on the final night of these championships.

Savinova and Jepkosgei were both in that controversial 800 in Berlin in 2009. “Just look at her,” Savinova said then after finishing fifth, intimating that she did not believe Semenya would be able to pass a gender test.

Last edited by Karl; September 5, 2011, 07:32 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/sports/05iht-track05.html

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Usain Bolt, Jamaica set relay world record; USA women win

The Associated Press

Updated 4h 51m ago

DAEGU, South Korea – In one whirlwind week, Usain Bolt turned the biggest disappointment of his career into another golden show capped with a world record that even he didn't think was within him.
      • By Kevin Frayer, AP
        Jamaica's Usain Bolt smiles with his gold medal won in the men's 4x100 relay final at the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, on Sunday.
      Enlarge

By Kevin Frayer, AP
      Jamaica's Usain Bolt smiles with his gold medal won in the men's 4x100 relay final at the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, on Sunday.

Ads by Google
      BP's Work in the GulfBP continues their work in the
      Gulf. Visit BP.com to learn how.
      www.BP.com/GulfOfMexicoResponse
      Goldman Sachs: New ArenaSee how the construction of a new
      arena helps businesses downtown
      goldmansachs.com/small-businesses
      Labor Day SpecialJoin Life Time This Weekend And
      Receive $200 and A Free Gear Bag.
      LifeTimeFitness.com/Enrollment

After opening with a false start in 100 final last Sunday, Usain Bolt again produced the amazing in his closing race of the world championships — anchoring Jamaica to a world record in the 4x100-meter relay.
      For the American men, it was more trouble in the relay. The USA failed to finish as Darvis Patton couldn't get the baton to anchor Walter Dix. At the 2008 Olympics, the USA didn't make the final after botching a handoff in the semifinal.But Team USA had some triumphs Sunday. The U.S. women won the 4x100 relay with Carmelita Jeter andAllyson Felix claiming their third medals in Daegu. 21-year-old Christian Taylor of the University of Florida was a surprise winner in the men's triple jump, beating defending world champion Phillips Idowu of Britain. In the men's 5,000, Bernard Lagat took silver.
      Jamaica's yellow-green-and-black flag was the last one rising into the night over Daegu Stadium, and Bolt spread his giant arms wide to soak in the occasion with all his might.
      "For me, it was just to go out there fast," Bolt said. "We did just that."
      One day after winning gold in the 200, Bolt was devastating down the home stretch of the relay and threw his yellow-clad chest across the line for a time of 37.04 seconds — the only world record in nine days of competition.
      There was no more of the performance anxiety that pushed him into a false start in the 100, only a sheer release of power as he coasted down the stretch for an overwhelming win over France and Saint Kitts and Nevis.
      The United States was out of it by the last changeover, but no one could have gotten close to a Jamaican team anchored by Bolt.
      Ahead of the race, Bolt was already slapping the "JAM" on his bib in pride, and in a season where he was far from his best, he came through with a world record he did not think was in him this season.
      He got all the help he needed from his three teammates — a lightning start from Nesta Carter and a good handover to Michael Frater before Jamaica's golden duo was up. Yohan Blake, the 100 champion in Bolt's absence, powered through the final bend, with Bolt already getting his giant stride going before he took the baton.
      Without the injured Asafa Powell, Bolt anchored the team for the first time in a major competition since he took the world by storm at the Beijing Olympics three years ago.
      Running with the determination of a record beater, he gritted his teeth over the final meters, crossed the line and threw the glittering purple baton high in the air once he realized their three-year-old record of 37.10 was gone.
      All through the year, Bolt had said that times were not his priority and he never came close to his record best — until Sunday.
      Seconds later, the showman took over again. He started dancing to the delight of the 45,000 crowd at Daegu Stadium, which had to wait until the last second to finally see a world record.
      On a final day of seven finals, one silver medal also stood out.
      Caster Semenya failed to defend her 800 title, faltering late down the finishing straight to allow Mariya Savinova of Russia get the gold. Silver, however, was better than many expected as the South African showed glimpses of her powerful running that made her the dominating athlete over the distance two years ago, before a gender controversy sidelined her for a year.
      "I achieved what I wanted, which was to get back to the podium," the 20-year-old Semenya said. "I don't talk about the past. I'm still young and I have to focus on the future."
      Felix added another gold to bring her collection of titles to a women's record eight over four championships. The American ran the second leg of the winning 4x100 relay, one day after getting gold in the 4x400, too.
      With Taylor winning the triple jump, it left the United States at the top of medal standings with 12 gold and 25 overall.
      Tatyana Lysenko won the women's hammer throw, putting Russia in second place of the standings with nine gold and 19 medals overall.
      Britain got some good news ahead of next year's London Olympics, with Mo Farahholding off Lagat of the United States to win the men's 5,000. Farah also won silver in the 10,000 last weekend.
      It was about the only middle and long distance race which went wrong for Kenya.
      From the starting gun to Sunday's last day, Kenya dominated. On Sunday morning, Abel Kirui led teammate Vincent Kipruto to yet another 1-2 finish in the men's marathon.
      The defending champion won by the biggest margin in championship history, and after finishing the race in 2:07:38, he had to wait 2:28 to welcome Kipruto in a sweaty embrace.
      It left Kenya with seven gold and 17 medals overall for third place in the medal standings.
      "This is history," Kirui said. "It is also good (for) the country. It is good for my family. It is great."

Comment

Usain Bolt's Jamaica set world record as Great Britain caught in chaos

• Jamaican team take 4x100m gold in 37.04sec
        • Collision rules out USA and Great Britain

Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Yohan Blake and Usain Bolt, top right, celebrate victory and a new world record in the men's 4x100m relay final at the world championships in Daegu. Photograph: Andy Lyons/Getty Images

These championships had been missing just one thing: a world record. Trust Usain Bolt to deliver. In the very last event of nine days of competition he and his three Jamaican team-mates, Nesta Carter, Michael Frater and Yohan Blake, ran 37.04sec in the 4x100 metres relay. It beat the world record Jamaica had set at the Beijing Olympics – when Asafa Powell was running with the other three instead of Blake – by six hundredths of a second.
        Bolt's final leg was preposterously quick. "When I saw the first three legs, I said, 'Anything is possible,'" he said. "So I ran my ultimate best." As he came down the straight, he said, he had a voice in his head telling him over and over again: "I can do this, I can do this." When Bolt believes, the clock obliges.
        He left tumult in his wake, like a speedboat cutting up a pack of pleasure trippers on pedalos. The USA's third runner, Darvis Patton, collided with Great Britain's anchor, Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, as he came around the bend. Aikines-Aryeetey was knocked sideways, but he had already bungled his change-over by setting off too early for Marlon Devonish to catch him. Patton fell face-first, his legs swinging over into the next lane, where Trinidad & Tobago's Aaron Armstrong had to skip out of the way to avoid tripping. T&T at least went on to finish last, which was more than Great Britain or the USA managed.
        "I'm struggling to understand always why that baton can't get round," said Britain's head coach, Charles van Commenee. "I'm happy the cameras weren't on me at that point."
        In the end, France finished second and St Kitts and Nevis third. By the time they crossed the line Bolt was already striking a pose.
        It capped an entertaining final night. Earlier, Caster Semenya finished second behind Russia's Mariya Savinova in the 800m. Semenya's 1min 56.35sec was her quickest time since she won gold in the previous world championships, in Berlin. Since then her life, a little like Darvis Patton, has been turned upside-down. However, the South African proved that she is still capable of running as she once did, after a season in which she only broke two minutes on three occasions.
        It is the competition who have changed, not her. Savinova's 1min 55.87sec was the fastest in the world this year. The two women fought fiercely around the final 200m. Semenya trailed around in sixth for a lap and a half and then kicked for the finish, but she could not lose Savinova. As they came down the straight, Semenya's strength seemed to sap away.
        "I achieved what I wanted," said Semenya, who is still only 20. "I don't talk about the past. I'm still young and I have to focus on the future."

Comment

Makes me wonder If The Iaaf can bend to market a man , a team (Jamaica) make no mistake they are a package,not to take away from the more marketably name BOLT (at the moment ) why cant the JAAA do the same in the interest of TEAM?

Over to you Karl & CO !

Comment

The Observer carried a story that they had changed the schedule, the day after the schedule was released and the lead was that Jamaica stood to benefit
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

I've been repeating it whole day...this is World record TEAM!!! it's not Bolt and 3 others...as most of the news articles would like to suggest.

Comment

Star a star an dis yah star a di biggest IAAF evah have.

Comment

O.K thats one of the points did you get the other two about JAAA and marketing team to get the maximum out of it ?

Keep in mind he is 1st and foremost our star .That might be a point of contention with PUMA and the IAAF but thats a good contention to have.

A man say JAAA cant market dem self fi mek a money ...lol..in this day and age of BOLT and multi million dollar contracts , still waiting on the online store ...kissteeth and I dont believe they have not been approached with multi million dollar offers to do as such , I believe they are dragging their feat with the excuse of being an amatuer org.

Ohh here it is

http://www.usatf.org/store/index.asp

Everytime Bolt or Jamaica strikes goal and we fail to market it we loose that oppourtunity.

Comment

Tru words!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X