Redemption - Melaine's family hails silver-medal performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redemption - Melaine's family hails silver-medal performance

Redemption - Melaine's family hails silver-medal performance amid 'disrespect'

Published: Friday | September 2, 2011

As Melaine Walker took home the silver in the women's 400m hurdles in Daegu, South Korea, yesterday family members celebrated beside her mural on Maxfield Avenue in St Andrew.

From left are Melaine's mother, Jenefer Wilson; her father Japheth; and sister Natalie. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Livern Barrett, Gleaner Writer

Melaine Walker's silver-medal performance in the 400m hurdles final at the 13th IAAF World Championships in Athletics in Daegu, South Korea, yesterday provided a measure of sweet redemption for her mother, Jenefer Wilson, who believes her daughter was disrespected in some sections of the society.

Amid the spontaneous celebrations that erupted in Gordon Lane, a community located off Maxfield Avenue, in St Andrew, where Walker was born and raised, Wilson allowed her thoughts to reflect on some of the negative comments she has heard aimed at her daughter.

She was particularly peeved that some people were ready to push Walker, who won gold at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, into the background in favour of national 400m hurdles champion, Kaliese Spencer.

"Yuh see the things wha some of the Jamaican people seh, it actually did get to me. Yuh on the streets and yuh hear people pass dem remarks 'bout Melaine nah go do nutten and it was just Kaliese Spencer, Kaliese Spencer," she told The Gleaner yesterday.
    "Dem know say she (Melaine) is a champion. Jus true a rising champion come up, yuh going to disrespect your champion? Yuh don't do that, yuh watch and see what take place," she continued.

Jubilee not dampened
    Those concerns, though widely shared by many persons present, did not dampen the jubilation among the scores of green and gold clad residents gathered near a giant mural of the athlete mounted beneath a Jamaican flag at the corner of Gordon Lane and Maxfield Avenue.

They basked in the glory of one of their own and soaked up the adulation from passing motorists who tooted their horns to acknowledge them.

"We are Melaine fans. We say Melaine. We not giving up. If Melaine did even run and don't get any medals, we are Melaine fans same way," said Karen Josephs, a resident of Gordon Lane.

"I feel real good for her. She is young and she don't give up," said Josephs, adding that the athlete visits her old neighbourhood very often.

Walker's elder sister Natalie Bercher, who celebrated with the residents, said she "had no doubt" her famous sibling would have won a medal.
    Bercher admitted that she was not happy with the fact that Walker was assigned lane eight, but said she was confident because she knows her sister's determination.

"I know who Melaine is. She performs at the last moment. She fights 'til the end," said Bercher.

"I am very proud of her. That's my little sister. I am very proud of her."

livern.barrett@gleanerjm.com

Last edited by Karl; September 2, 2011, 09:50 AM.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

I guess this qualifies under "athletics tribalism"!

People stop the damn foolishness...........
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

anybody know if she still live down at Maxfield Avenue???

Comment

No man she moved out long time
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
        X