Bahamas upset over men failing to make 100m semis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bahamas upset over men failing to make 100m semis

Charles Maynard is livid as Bahamian men failed to make 100m semifinals.
    Nassau, Bahamas — Charles Maynard, Minister for Youths, Sports and Culture is livid at this hour as the Bahamas, which once held a firm grip on the silver medal at the international IAAF World Championships, has not qualified for the Men’s 100m.

Bahamas Press agents are now in Daegu, Korea, where the events are being held. Our source has noted a war of words has erupted between members of the Bahamian team.
    We understand a decision by a coach has landed the Bahamas in the stew of not qualifying for the finals.
    Our man on the ground tell us, a senior coach decided to allow substitutes to run in the qualifying rounds of the race and at this hour, the Bahamas silver medal boys, will watch the finals even though they could have beaten the Americans team this year.
    Teams, we are told, believe the senior coach making the decision has allegedly committed TREASON, and that it is possible some kind of payments could have been made in Korea to see to it that team Bahamas does not make the finals. The Bahamas didn’t even make the semifinals.
    In 2007 in Osaka, Japan Bahamian track star Derrick Atkins won the silver for the Bahamas at in the finals.
    Bahamas Press is watching the event very closely and we advise the minister to have the BAAA’s watch their selection of coaches more carefully.

http://bahamaspress.com/2011/09/01/c...IpJfc.facebook
    Last edited by Hortical; September 1, 2011, 09:20 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

It was sad...this is the 4 by 4?

Comment

Wow! Is This Writer Stone Drunk?!

This must be a blog, as no newspaper journalist could write something as completely and utterly ridiculous and incorrect as this!!!

The writer is confusing the 4x400-meter relay with the individual 100-meter race! My goodness! In the 100-meter race in Daegu, the sole entry from the Bahamas was Adrian Griffith, a sprinter who would have been lucky to reach the semi-final if he ran. We’ll never know because he false-started during the very first round.

Looking at the 4x400-meter relay now, it gets even more confusing!

First, the Bahamas’ 4x400-meter relay team did not win any type of medal at the 2009 IAAF World Championships! In fact, the Bahamas did NOT make the finals! The gold medal went to the USA, the silver to Great Britain and the bronze to Australia!!

Secondly, there is nothing unusual in allowing substitutes to run in the semi-finals!! That’s standard practice, or hasn’t the writer been following track and field over the years?

Also, what does the writer mean by “the Bahamas didn’t even make the semifinals” in reference to the 4x400-meter relay?

But back to the individual 100-meter dash, what does the writer really mean by once holding “a firm grip on the silver”? There is only one Bahamian athlete in history who has ever gone sub-10, and that’s Derrick Atkins! That silver was four years ago -- in 2007 -- and while it was great for the Bahamas, Atkins mysteriously went missing in action after 2007, turning up for a brief moment in the heats of the 100-meter at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and promptly failing to advance.

It’s highly unlikely that Atkins, if he was still active, would have beaten Collins or Dix, and certainly not Blake, so I’m a bit confused as to the complaint about the 100-meter.

Like I said, this is a ridiculous article!

Comment

Even calling it an article is giving it undue credit. Sounds like a gossip blog.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Bahamas Press is watching the event very closely and we advise the minister to have the BAAA’s watch their selection of coaches more carefully

The above line is what struck me. Are they serious? big brother to rahtid!
          Peter R

Comment

My grandmother would say "mout tun cross way to talk anything", and so you have pen and paper you write b-u-l-l-$-h-i-t
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Bahamas Women's 4x100-m Relay

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Even calling it an article is giving it undue credit. Sounds like a gossip blog.
              Yep, seems like a gossip blog indeed! I wonder what they are going to write now, as the 13th IAAF World Championships is almost over for the Bahamas (they won the high jump bronze medal). The Bahamas has never had a women’s 4x400-meter relay team at the senior level, and they have not had a men’s 4x100-meter team at any global meet in well over a decade (cannot find four fast men?).

I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if the Bahamas’ women’s 4x100-meter relay team wins a bronze medal in Daegu. They got the silver medal in that event in 2009 in Berlin, and although their ace curve runner Chandra Sturrup seems to have retired (she’s almost 40 years old), the youngsters on this new team should be able to get the baton to Debbie Ferguson in a fast time.

Comment

Working...
              X