X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt, VCB should cop sprint double - comments below

P Reid
    Friday, August 26, 2011

With the unpleasant matter of yet another positive drug test behind us, at least temporarily, the focus is squarely where it belonged in the first place — on the athletes as the clock ticks down for the 13th IAAF World Championships of Athletics in Daegu, South Korea.
    The meet is set to start tomorrow evening (Jamaica time) and expectations are high for yet another bumper crop of medals for the Jamaicans.
    All things being equal I think we can equal the 13 medals won in 2009, but it won't be easy; nothing comes easy at a World Championships, nor should it.
    One area where we should improve is that both Usain Bolt and Veronica Campbell Brown should sweep the respective sprint double.
    Despite not back at the awesome levels he was in 2008 and 2009, Bolt should be good enough to win the 100m, especially with Asafa Powell and American Tyson Gay out because of injuries.
    Trinidadian Richard Thompson should take the silver ahead of a group that will include Yohan Blake.
    If Campbell Brown gets the start she has been working on since the early season, it will be hard for anyone to catch her before she gets to the tape.
    We need VCB to win the gold as defending champion Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce has not shown the form that won her the Olympic and World Championships title.
    Unless coach Stephen Francis has something up his sleeve, the 'Pocket Rocket' will have to battle for the other medals.
    Americans Carmelita Jeter and Marshevete Myers, along with the Trinidadian Kelly Ann Baptiste, should also be in the running for medals.
    Bolt will win his pet event, the 200m, at a canter and after three rounds of tough 400m, three-time defending champion Allison Felix should find it tough to hold off Campbell Brown for the gold medal.
    Kaliese Spencer is the overwhelming favourite to win the 400m hurdles and with news that American Lashinda Demus is out with injuries, it could be a Jamaica 1-2 with defending champion Melaine Walker taking the silver medal.
    Kenia Sinclair has had an outstanding season, losing just once, and should win Jamaica's first medal in the 800m at this level.
    Jamaica could win four medals in the relays, including both sprint relays, while the women's 4x400m team, the best team we have ever put together, should push the weakened Americans all the way to the line.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1W9FarPOi

Comments

COMMENTS (4)
    Un Poco Loco
    8/26/2011
    Sometimes I wonder if Paul Reid is getting pay for some of his stories the observer are printing. It seems any and anybody can write all sort of junk and get it print in this paper. How can he say VCB is going to win the double when Jeter is running brilliantly. I am a Jamaica and despise anything American but any blind bat can see that VCB won't have it easy in both race. Of course VCB can with double but it is not like how P Reid puts it. She will have to work extra hard if she is to win both.
    Sean Knight
    8/26/2011
    how are they "very" poor and "unrealistic". look man if you dont have stuff positive. they spoke of thirteen medals and you highlighted 2-3. They are predictions and are reasonable.
    Go Jamaica
    Anthony II
    8/26/2011
    Jus Irie, here is my response to a recent article "A no-contest for Jeter at Worlds?": "Let me think where I have seen this film before: Athlete dominates several track meets; runs fast times, including world leading times; blows away everyone in 'one-off events'; and everyone concludes that athlete is the athlete to beat at the major champs: WC & Olympics. Athlete shows up only to be an also-ran. Where have I read this movie script before? Give me a chance; I am thinking hard here."
    Jus Irie
    8/26/2011
    These are very poor and unrealistic predictions. I love my Yard athletes to death but lets be objective. True, Bolt is likely to cop the double (key word being "likely"), but a recent PB does not give Thompson any advantage over the more consistent Blake. Also, Jeter has lost only one 100M race this season, and has put up 5 of the best 6 times so again, be realistic. Ver will have a tough time of it.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1W9G0pEVH

Comment

Here is my list of records that could be broken in Daegu

While I dont expect him to medal, Jermaine Gonzales could dip below 44.40.

Same thing for Dwight Thomas who will have to run faster than 13.15 seconds in the 110m hurdles to be in the top five.

Given the time he has to just concentrate on training and not worry about work etc...Jason Morgan will throw further than 64.11m and dont be surprised by a top eight place-once he gets his emotions under control

If the baton gets around clean both sprint relay record will go.

This is the best five girls we have ever had in the 4x400m and that record goes too

Under perfect conditions VCB will break the 100m record.

Kenia Sinclair will win a medal and she will have to run faster than 1:57.88 to do so

I am minded to say Spencer will beat the record in the 400m hurdles but I will hold strain as she still has work to do over the hurdles but the National Junior Record will go as Rista will break it again
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

I had to bring these two posts back to the top to check on my predictions, the start of the Championships felt like so log ago I needed to remind myself of what i wrote then.

Well from the start we did not get the minimum 13 medals nor did VCB and Bolt take the doubles.

Spencer did not win the 400m hurdles either and Robles did cross the line first (nod to Mosiah) but got thrown out.

A few of my record predictions also came through but I will wager it would take a brave man to predict a WR in the 4x100m.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

VCB to break the 100M record? 10.49?

Comment

No no no not WR...Jamaican record... the woman who will run under 10.49 no born yet..
            Che Guevara.

Comment

lol...okay...

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                While I dont expect him to medal, Jermaine Gonzales could dip below 44.40.
                Wasn't likely that he would dip under that time. More likely for him to medal. He did neither, as it turned out.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X