RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decided to watch an old World Cup Cricket match...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to watch an old World Cup Cricket match...

It just showed me how long I have been turned off Windies Cricket.

Did not even remember that Phil Simmons was picked as a bowler and started batting just above the fast bowlers. Right above Mervyn Dillion.

...and that we were being bowled out for 110 by the Aussie's at Old Trafford in 1984. ...and we had an opening bat named Ridley Josephs (Never even remembered him)...he carried his bat.
    Last edited by Karl; July 6, 2011, 12:34 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

could not be '84 .... mervyn dillon was not playing then. maybe '94 and the batsman was ridley jacob

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

or jacobs?

Karl, He was definitely not an opening batsman for the WI; he was the wicketkeeper and batted usually at number 7. Did a pretty good job with both glove and bat.

Antiguan if I'm not mistaken.
      Peter R

Comment

An "old" stalwart on present day technology in cricket. Outspoken as always.

Yu si how di woman a watch him? Gwaan yute! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uvdpv326A4
        Peter R

Comment

another sound bite.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXZJ...eature=related
          Peter R

Comment

jacobs and antiguan are both correct ... his nephew worked with me for a while...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ridley did open the batting a few times. The team was rotating Philo Wallace, Sherwin Campbell, Stuart Williams, Samuels, Campbell and many more.

Comment

In Tests he would bat 7 but he opened in the ODIs now and then.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

and he was NOT playing in 1984!

Comment

Dujon did have that position lock down dem time deh.

He was the backup wicketkeeper for many years before he got a game though,wasn't he?
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      could not be '84 .... mervyn dillon was not playing then. maybe '94 and the batsman was ridley jacob
                      Perhaps you are correct...but the tape has fallen apart...and I will have to try to remember my 'tape tech' skills. So far I am not hopeful...

...anyway I turned to a discussion on JBC chaired by Hugh Crosskill - with Maurice Foster, Allan Rae, Tony Becca (Wow...Sports Editor of the Daily News. 'memba dat?) and Patrick Terrelonge (Spelling???) on the Regal Cricket tour.

18 January 1983 broadcast....and after watching and attempting to rewind that tape has also fallen apart.
                      This one I have to fix...
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

no perhaps in that!

Comment

Patrick Terrelonge was my big boss back in the day. An IT pioneer in Jamaica and also a major cricket enthusiast. What was the Regal Cricket tour?

One story i remember hearing was that while he (Terrelonge) was talking cricket with friends one night during the Packer era, he decided to find out if Kerry Packer would be interested in taking World Series cricket to the West Indies. Packer took his call and eventually World Series cricket did make it to the Caribbean.

Comment

Karl, Time to transfer that tape to DVD. As long as the tape itself is not crushed, crinkled or otherwise damaged, transfer the spools to a more robust shell; all you need is a screwdriver and an old VHS tape (don't tell me is Betamax ) that you don't need. I have done it and used an old movie of my kids...my VCR no longer works and it doesn't make sense to fix it... anyway, once transferred get it to somewhere/body who can do the change to DVD.
                            Peter R

Comment

VCR?? Word is Karl ah use one Bell & Howell reel to reel sintin... state of the art back in di day
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X