MVP cuss cuss again? MVP right this time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP cuss cuss again? MVP right this time

Can you imagine if the MVP camp was suspended for missinga drug test? Poor little Shelly Ann, she would be in serious trouble.

MVP athletes locked out of Stadium East
    Shelly-Ann, Asafa and Melanie Walker among 14 athletes barred by security guards
    BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WORLD and Olympic champions Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Brigitte Foster-Hylton, Melaine Walker, and Asafa Powell were among a group of 14 world class MVP athletes locked out of the Stadium East training facility where they showed up for training this morning despite a standing arrangement with Independence Park Limited (IPL) for them to train at the facility six days per week.

MVP assistant coach, Paul Francis, told the Observer that he got a call at 5:29 this morning from the athletes to say that they had been barred from
    Asafa Powell...among 14 MVP athletes locked out of Stadium East this morning.

Asafa Powell...among 14 MVP athletes locked out of Stadium East this morning.

#slideshowtoggler { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler A { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}#slideshowtoggler IMG { FILTER: none !important; ZOOM: normal !important}
    1/1

entering the compound by security guards on duty who told them they had been instructed by IPL not to let them.
    Head coach, Stephen Francis, was livid as he told the Observer that the athletes were forced to stand outside the gate indefinitely as leaving would have jeopardisd their status in accordance with IAAF anti-doping rules which say they must declare their location at all times for out-of competition (OTC) testing.
    As luck would have it, the local anti-doping officials, Jamaica Anti-doping Commission (JADCO), showed up this morning.
    "They were out there on the road waiting and they can't train because these idiots could not even give them a days notice," Francis fumed.
    "I'm sure if something is going on there they could have used it until 8:30...you're supposed to give us some kind of notice because we have 14 or 15 international athletes, all of whom are on the drug testing list who have to declare their whereabouts at least 24 hours in advance," he explained.
    "We can't just get up and move because the drug testers need to come in there and if they miss it, they will be banned for two years," Francis stated.
    "These are the kinds of things we have to put up with trying to compete against people internationally and when they win these are the first people jump up on the bandwagon talking about this and that and not even to facilitate us to train."
    Francis said JADCO officials later facilitated the athletes by allowing them to travel to their base at the University of Technology for testing to be conducted.
    "Is a good thing I told them they must stay there," he added."If we never tell them to stay then the whole team would have been suspended for missing a drug test."
    Calls from the Observer to the mobile phone of IPL General Manager Major Desmon Brown went unanswered.
    "This can happen again and again because of the unprofessionalism of these people," Francis concluded.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz1K4msaNGR
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

They may have a point but the reporter allowed herself to be misled on the facts... missing one test does not lead to a ban. The rules are that if you miss THREE tests over a certain period of time then it is an automatic ban...also my take on the story here is that every athletes have to tell the IAAF every day where they will be...my understanding on that is that you tell the testers where you will be over a period of time and if you are deviating from that you would update them
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

What a way to treat some of the greatest international athletes the world has ever seen. The right thing to do is let them in, and work on the issues later.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Chaos at National Arena[/FONT]
        [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']2011-04-20 12:13:15[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] | (0 Comments) [/FONT]
        [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
        [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Monique Grange, Gleaner Writer[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']

The demand for free [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']health[/FONT] services being provided by medical staff from the USNS Comfort Hospital Ship out of the United States this morning caused chaos at the National Arena in Kingston.

The team has been providing general health services as well as dental, optical, physiotherapy, counselling and consultation to the public at the arena since last Thursday.

However, the stadium police said the large number of people seeking the free health services has gotten out of control.

The huge crowd also created problems for athletes who turned up for training at the stadium today.

[/FONT]
        [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The police said the entrance normally used by the athletes was blocked and when they sought to enter from another gate they were barred.[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']

However, the police have increased manpower and put barriers in place in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the chaos that existed this morning.

The medical staff from the USNS Comfort Hospital Ship leaves the National Arena tomorrow.

monique.grange@gleanerjm.com [/FONT]

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

I hate to sound like I am dumping on security guards, but am I the only who finds that Jamaican security guards are some of the most unreasonable people in the world. They never seem to be able to use common sense. I think they are mostly dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
            I hate to sound like I am dumping on security guards, but am I the only who finds that Jamaican security guards are some of the most unreasonable people in the world. They never seem to be able to use common sense. I think they are mostly dumb.

From my experiences - the dumbest people are those who have to interact with people on the front line. They have little decision making skills - they just go by a script.

If yuh think Common Sense common, rethink . And there is another ailment afflicting people, some of them, when they have on uniforms become an "authority unto themselves."
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

they are!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That's what happens when you put illerates in positions of little power.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You are right about the Jamaican security guards..I just went to the Montego bay Sports Complex that will host the CARIFTA Games and introduced myself to the guard and told him I anted to go in and take some pictures.

Ofcourse he said no, I looked at his badged and addressed him by name and asked if he was given specific instructions not to allow in the media, he said no.

I asked him if he realised that I had a right to go in there and he seemed uncertain, at that time a perosn with some authority drove up and waved me in.

I always wondered why is it that a job that is a dead end one, no disrespect meant, always gives so much responsibility or even a gun.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

and give them guns...
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Yes it is the power more than anything else that brings out the worst in them.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You know bout. If you were a deshelved white man who can't speak English, and have on a dirty pair of shorts and a filthy night shirt he would have let you in once he sees the camera. Even if you had a teenage street girl or boy on your arms. Talk about a dumb segment of the Jamaican workforce.

Comment

Dem dumb, but sometimes mi haffi tek it easy pon dem. Their pay and working conditions are atrocious!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Talk about deshevelled white man, some years ago at Gibson Relays, this elder white man who spoke very little English managed to get into the grand stand at stadium and on to the cycle track with this little dinky looking camera, not even one of the professional looking ones like Mosiah's, and all he kept saying was 'Usain Bolt'.

I saw him from outside and he did not have a ticket or a pass but the security allowed him him while they were harrassing others.

This man and his wife look like they had slept in the clothes they were wearing the last three days and they did not smell too fresh either.

We could look at it from at least two angles--stupid security guards or the power and draw of Bolt..
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

It is referred to colorism in Jamaica, where there are significant benefits for those who have a lighter skin, and where darker skin Jamaicans face disenfranchisement. The issue of bleaching in Jamaica is not related to lack of self esteem or denial of their race, but due to the benefits of lighter skin in Jamaica - this according the latest research on bleaching.
                              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X