• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 big men compliment each other Tyson and Asafa

Tyson Gay expects Asafa Powell to shine in Gateshead

DIAMOND LEAGUE MEETING: British Grand Prix
    Date: Saturday, 10 July Venue: Gateshead Stadium
    Coverage: BBC Two 1630-1930 BST, BBC Sport website (UK users only) and updates on BBC Radio 5 live

Gay and Powell discuss 100m rivalry

Tyson Gay believes Asafa Powell is the man to beat over 100m, despite world and Olympic champion Usain Bolt's return from injury.
    Bolt equalled fellow Jamaican Powell's fastest time in the world this year - 9.82 seconds - in Lausanne on Thursday.
    American Gay and Powell will face each other in the 100m in Saturday's Diamond League meeting in Gateshead.
    "I believe right now Asafa is still the guy to beat, regardless of what anyone else has run in the world," said Gay.
    Olympic and world silver medallist Gay will be making his seasonal debut over 100m following a hamstring problem and after finishing second to Walter Dix in the 200m at the Diamond League meeting in Eugene, Oregon he admits he is some way behind where he would expect to be.

Gay powered by belief he can beat Bolt

"Usain had a setback or two and this year, Asafa is healthy, he hasn't really had any setbacks," he said.
    "That's the key, that's the name of the game, to stay healthy and you will see a great outcome.
    "That's why I believe that. He is sharp, he is race-ready and that's all you need in this game to be on top."
    Powell will take on Bolt in Paris next Friday and he is relishing the prospect of that encounter with the world record holder but is confident of setting a fast time in Gateshead.
    KATHARINE MERRY'S BLOG

These events are about the psychological advantages, the stamping of authority over your main rivals

"I can't really say what to expect yet, but I will do my best," said Powell, who equalled the then world record of 9.77 seconds when he competed in the British Grand Prix four years ago.
    "I've started this season very well, running 9.80s and a (windy) 9.70. It's the best I've started a season ever, so I feel very comfortable and confident about myself.
    "Last year, I had a lot of setbacks but I am in a lot better shape than I have ever been.
    Powell added: "I really want all the guys to be in form because I'm not happy when any of the guys are hurt," he said.

Dix wins 200m ahead of Gay

"It's best when you are out there competing when all of us are in tip-top shape - that's when you will see some great performances.
    "I don't want to compete and be excited about running with someone who is hurt or anything like that, because I know what it is like." Saturday's meeting in Gateshead will also see the return from injury of British world heptathlete champion Jessica Ennis.
    The 24-year-old has recovered from a virus and an ear infection and will compete in the 200m and the javelin.
    Martyn Rooney, who has twice dipped under 45 seconds in the 400m this year, will also seek to impress in the first of two Diamond League meetings to be staged in Britain this summer.
    The second is a two-day competition at Crystal Palace on 13 and 14 August, and comes two weeks before the European Championships in Barcelona.

Bolt outshines rivals in Diamond League

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8806002.stm
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Kindly post where this can be seen live and after the video?
    Thanks!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X