X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING NEWS: Asafa Powell leaves Nike for

Asafa Powell

By Anthony Foster, trackalerts.com
    Asafa Powell has been with Nike for his entire career, but that is due to change.
    Powell, the former world 100m record holder has signed a new deal with an unknown company and he could race in his new gear as soon as the Rome Diamond League event on Thursday. A source close to trackalerts.com informs that it is the Chinese outfit, Li Ning, who also sponsors World and Olympic champion and IAAF Diamond League Ambassador from Norway, Andreas Thorkilsden, and Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva. Li Ning is also the sponsor for the Brussels IAAF Diamond League.
    Paul Doyle, Powell’s agent, in an exclusive interview with trackalerts.com from Rome, confirmed that there is a new deal, but said he could not say much on the matter. He said it’s up to the company to disclose the bulk of the information.
    Asked if it’s true that Asafa signed a new contract, he replied: “It looks that way, yep.”
    Is it the same company, he was asked? “No, it’s not Nike … That’s all I can say right now. I am actually having a meeting this evening with the new company and they are going to be the ones to decide how we release the information”.
    google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);
    “What I can say right now is we have signed a new contract and it’s not with Nike,” he said.
    Asked if this will affect him training with Stephen Francis, who we understand is a Nike coach, Doyle replied: “He is a Nike coach, but no, it won’t affect that … it won’t affect the arrangement that we have”.
    Then came a to and fro with the agent in which Doyle was quite guarded, not opting to give much significant detail.
    TA: Stephen Francis will still remain his coach?
    Doyle: “Absolutely, yep”
    Trackalerts.com, who broke the story in April that Powell was without a contract, was reliably informed that Powell’s previous deal with Nike, which ended on December 31, was in the region of US$750,000 but they were offering less than US$300,000 for a new deal, which was refused.
    TA: Information reaching us at trackalerts.com is this one is huge, would this be better than his previous Nike deal?
    Doyle: ”I don’t ever comment on the numbers,”
    TA: No not the numbers but if its a better deal than what he had or what Nike was offering?
    Doyle: “It’s definitely a better deal than what Nike was offering”
    TA: But not what he had under the previous deal?
    Doyle “No, I am not commenting on that”.
    TA: Is this a two or three year deal?
    Doyle: “I cannot talk about that either … sorry”.
    TA: Thanks very much…
    MVP has predicted two surprises for the Rome race on their twitter page and pundits feel that the new contract is one and the other is a special time by Powell.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Asafa "leaning" to align with the chinese?
    Peter R

Comment

Li Ning?!? All di same, as long as him leff dem Yanks mi happy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

lea ng!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

vietnamese...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

ok.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Now unno see why him neva run at Penn and most wanted to kill him for it. LoL

Good thing my eyes were to the ground! LoL

Comment

well, what are we supposed to do if wi nuh have di info?

low wi!

as a matter of fact, when Asafa start run consistently in the 9.6s, send come call mi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi know!! mi cya'an undastan' dem eida!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

I don't think anyone wanted to kill him for not running at Penn. It's the conflicting news that confuse people - like (i) it's not on his schedule (2) him have a toe injury (3) blah, blah, blah
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Not so much here, but yes, dem nearly kill him. LoL

Comment

Expect the call by weekend den . LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post

The rumor among school coaches/management staff was that he was out of contract but MVP was not singing the same notes.
                            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Willi, if Li Ning wants to really compete with the Nikes and adidases of this world, dem gwine haffi speak better English!

From their website:

Mission

Through sports, we inspire people the desire and power to make breakthroughs

Vision

A world's leading brand in the sports goods industry

Core Values

Live For Dream, Integrity and Commitment, We Culture, Achieving Excellence, Consumer Oriented, Breakthrough
                              We culture?!? what tha...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X