What's happening at the Montego Bay Sports Complex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happening at the Montego Bay Sports Complex

What's happening at the Montego Bay Sports Complex in Catherine Hall?
    ON THE SPORTING EDGE
    PAUL REID

Thursday, June 03, 2010

After more than a decade, the Montego Bay Sports Complex at Catherine Hall is to be officially opened on Saturday during the second staging of the Western Primary Schools track and field championships.
    It is understood that government officials from both Jamaica and Venezuela who provided the loan facility as well as the contractors for the project will be in attendance.

It may be symbolic that a track meet for the Primary schools age group will be used to open the facility, which is expected to be critical in the development of the athletes, football players and others over the next few decades at least.

The facility, which boats a state-of-the-art football field and a world class Mondo track should be the crown jewel of sporting facilities in western Jamaica and it is hoped that its proper maintenance will be a priority.
    Despite its slow rate of construction, set backs and missed deadline, the venue has not been totally unused as several track meets and football matches have been staged there over the years and it is the hope that it will continue to be used as such and for many more things.

But while we hope and pray that the facility will help to change the fortunes of our young sportsmen and women, there are still some troubling concerns relating to those in charge.

While the green light has been given for the staging of the Primary schools meet, there is still no word for the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) re the staging of an All-comers meet set for the very next day by the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA).

The deafening silence is most interesting as the fact that over 20 schools from all four parishes in western Jamaica can use the facility on Saturday raises questions about its availability to the dozens of elite athletes trying to make several national teams later this year who hope to compete this weekend as they step up their preparations.

The National Junior Trials to help pick two teams including the one that will go to the IAAF World Junior Championships in Canada next month is set for next weekend.

Two weeks later the National Senior Trials to help choose three national teams will be held and a number of western- based athletes and even several from other regions are depending on this meet to help them gauge their state of readiness.

It is full time the pettiness at the highest level of government beaurocracy ends and those who are supposed to be working on behalf of tax payers and the development of the nation start looking at the big picture.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...therine-Hall_7
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

there is only one other sight that pains my eyes as much as this structure.

i think it will become another white elephant.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Black Man and White Elephant Time...

Good riddance...

Jamaica Time now....

Comment

I dont agree Mosiah... this white elephant thing is a creation of the myopic Kingston media and the other idiots who cant thnk for themsleves and follow what they say.

The biggest sports white elephant in Jamaica is Sabina Park- how often does it host and event that attracts paying customers- you surely don't think Kingston CC pays to use it or when they have these club cricket events there...the only time any money comes in is when they host West Indies games or other international games there.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
          I dont agree Mosiah... this white elephant thing is a creation of the myopic Kingston media and the other idiots who cant thnk for themsleves and follow what they say.

The biggest sports white elephant in Jamaica is Sabina Park- how often does it host and event that attracts paying customers- you surely don't think Kingston CC pays to use it or when they have these club cricket events there...the only time any money comes in is when they host West Indies games or other international games there.
          so what part of my post yuh don't agree with, exactly?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

OK then i thought you were one of those 'Kingston People' who think that while the Trelawny MPS and Catherine Hall will be white elephants Sabina Park was not to be included in the same conversation
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

mi look like one "Kingston person"?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dudus count ?

Comment

well, i hear he was a whiz at math, so i think he can.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah well.. right about now only is bullet a whiz..

Comment

Yes
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                      X