RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No suprise! Its an overseas based athele who tested postive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No suprise! Its an overseas based athele who tested postive!

We have to protect our good name. We need to find a way to required testing of all overseas based athletes before representing Jamaica. If it means that they have to walk into a Jamaican consulate or come to Jamaica then so be it!

J'can quarter-miler fails drug test at World Indoors
    J'can quarter-miler fails drug test at World Indoors
    BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, May 14, 2010

var addthis_pub="jamaicaobserver";

PROMISING Jamaican quarter-miler Bobby-Gaye Wilkins is the athlete who returned an adverse analytical finding to her 'A' sample at the 13th IAAF World Indoor Championships in Doha, Qatar, between March 12 and 14.
    Highly-placed Observer sources have confirmed that Wilkins' 'B' sample has also returned positive.

WILKINS... returned adverse analytical finding at World Indoors in March

WILKINS... returned adverse analytical finding at World Indoors in March

1/1

This means that Jamaica could now lose the 4x400 metres relay bronze medal they won at the meet because the 21-year-old Wilkins ran the first leg of the race. The name and type of the prohibited substance is still not known.

Efforts to contact the United States-based Wilkins, through her agent Oneil Wright, were unsuccessful as the latter's mobile phone went straight to voicemail.

The other members of the Jamaican mile-relay team at the Doha meet which returned a national record of 3:28.46 were Clora Williams, Davita Prendergast and Novlene Williams-Mills. The United States won the event ahead of Russia.

Jamaica's other medal at the World Indoor Championships came in the 60 metres where Veronica Campbell-Brown won gold in a personal best 7.00secs.

Meanwhile, the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA) remained tight-lipped on the matter, with president Howard Aris indicating he knew nothing about an adverse analytical finding by a Jamaican.

"You know more than me," Aris told the Observer yesterday.

Second vice-president of the JAAA, Dr Warren Blake, who served as team leader and doctor for the team to Doha, also told the Observer he could not confirm any adverse analytical finding concerning any Jamaican athlete coming out of the championships.

An adverse analytical finding refers to the "presence of a prohibited substance or its metabolites or markers (including elevated quantities of endogenous substances) or evidence of the use of a prohibited method", as outlined in the 2010-2011 IAAF's Competition Rules book.

In accordance with the IAAF anti-doping process, after the "B" sample is returned and any follow-up investigation is carried out, the athlete in question shall be afforded an opportunity, either directly or through his National Federation, within a time limit set by the IAAF, to provide an explanation in response to the anti-doping rule violation asserted.

Subsequent to receiving the result of the 'B' sample, the athlete has the right to request a hearing.

"If a hearing is requested by an athlete, it shall be convened without delay and the hearing held within three months of the date of notification of the athlete's request to the Member," states Rule 38.9 of the 2010-2011 IAAF Competition Rules book.

Last year, Jamaicans Lansford Spence, Marvin Anderson, Yohan Blake, Allodin Fothergill and Sheri-Ann Brooks returned adverse analytical findings for the banned substance 4-Methyl-2-Hexanamine at the National Trials, ahead of the Berlin World Championships.

Brooks, who was initially cleared by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Appeals Tribunal, later accepted a three-month ban from the IAAF, ending February 12 this year. The other four served three-month suspensions, ending December 2009.

Other Jamaicans to have tested positive for banned substances include sprinters Merlene Ottey (Nandrolone); Julien Dunkley (Boldenone); Steve Mullings (Testosterone); Patrick Jarrett (Stanozolol); shot-putter Dorian Scott (marijuana); and long/triple jumper Suzette Lee (Salbutamol, which is used for the treatment of asthma, chronic bronchitis and other breathing disorders).
    Last edited by Karl; May 14, 2010, 08:56 AM.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Somehow, I don't like the caption used "No suprise! Its an overseas based athele who tested postive! "

Overseas or locally trained, they are all representing Jamaica.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Fair is, fair!
      The Bronze should go!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
        Somehow, I don't like the caption used "No suprise! Its an overseas based athele who tested postive! "

You are so correct!

...and my questions on our testing policy and how administered...takes us right to where I was going - It is in our interest to ensure only clean athletes represent us!

I do not care too hoots what held in the past on 'overseas' athletes tests. It is our responsible to protect our name and our clean athletes.

Over to the JAAA!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post

Have you ever read a Dr Spin Maudid post? Him make me look like a Sunday school teacher.

What don't you like about the caption?
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Karl I hope for your sake you are not too set in your way of thinking to understand that what you are mooting is improbable on many levels...

given this case for example where the athlete is based over seas and would leave form their base to Doha and not come here first.

What ytou are asking is that they come heer to be tested THEN fly to where ever the meet is being held...think about the costs there.

As I tried to explain to you, JADCO cnat go to their US base to test them and they are not on the WADA frequent testing list because she is not an elite athlete
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Suh why dem need a drug test.. look pon him.. I mean her shoulders !

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                Karl I hope for your sake you are not too set in your way of thinking to understand that what you are mooting is improbable on many levels...

given this case for example where the athlete is based over seas and would leave form their base to Doha and not come here first.

What ytou are asking is that they come heer to be tested THEN fly to where ever the meet is being held...think about the costs there.

As I tried to explain to you, JADCO cnat go to their US base to test them and they are not on the WADA frequent testing list because she is not an elite athlete
                No tunnel vision please?

I think there are a number of measures that can be taken.

Select teams and reserves/standby for fill in...with enough time to test and receive results before submission to the relevant authorities as our entry.

Overseas athletes can be tested by our chosen testers and the results sent to our accredited labs.

Funding for such - our organisation's responsibility.

I do not see any huge obstacles in doing the above. You are not tested and approved by our authorised persons and bodies...You are excluded.

Comment

SIGH.....When you are ready to face reality we can continue this conversation...until then continue living in Wonderland Alice
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

thats so immature and insulting... she looks no different than all the other female sprinters...

we don' even know what she has tested positive for... it could be any of the various substances out there... could be the same substance as what was found in brooks, blake and the others...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                      Suh why dem need a drug test.. look pon him.. I mean her shoulders !
                      Naw - She looks like woman. Man Jetter looks more like a man and have you seen Bailey from UTECH?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                        SIGH.....When you are ready to face reality we can continue this conversation...until then continue living in Wonderland Alice
                        Who is more annoying? Him or me?

Comment

yeah them need fi cool and wait for answers. Give the girl the benefit of the doubt right now. We shouldn't be glad as she is a Jamaican ahtlete who I assume spent most of her years in Jamaica.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Oh Lord, you win hands down.....LOL!!!

BTW I am coming to the Diamond League meet in NY so see you there
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

Actually based on what we hear, this was no accident...she also missed two out of competition tests as well so she should never have accepted the invite to go to Doha.

I wont even comment on the first part of the other post
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X