Who writes these things?!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who writes these things?!??

Olympic and World Championship 400m hurdles gold medallist Melaine Walker shaked off an Achilles tendon injury to post 52.84 seconds to place second in the flat 400m behind MVP training partner Stephanie McPherson, who won in 52.48.
    - Observer

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Wha wrang wid it?? De woman "shake aff har injury" fi come second behind har training pardna in the 400. Cho!

Comment

Our Semi-Literate Culture!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      - Observer
      Maybe there’s another error somewhere in this somewhat retarded sentence. However, I’m just “passing through” -- that is, taking a quick look at today’s posts before going out – and so I have no time for the usual discussion this evening.

The obvious error is “shaked”! The correct word is “shook”, but should I be surprised that, with more than 30 hits on this thread, there was only one (irrelevant) response to this simple, easy-to-spot error in grammar?!

Comment

Yuh saw it too???
        MDYADWL

I could not believe my eyes when I sawED it! LoL
        I thinkED I was going crazy!

Comment

Kayron....

Comment

Re: Yuh saw it too???

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Yuh saw it too???
            MDYADWL

I could not believe my eyes when I sawED it! LoL
            I thinkED I was going crazy!
            Willi, this guy Kayon Raynor is a worse writer than many people realize!! In fact, as I mentioned on this forum sometime last summer, I sometimes browse his sports articles just to have fun identifying his inevitable mistakes! The errors in his writing are sometimes unbelievable.

His editor, by the way, is just as bad. Granted, in many cases today automatic spell checkers take the place of good old careful copy reading/editing. But....

Comment

That's what I am thinking - how did "shaked" not get picked up by a spellchecker?!?

I just typed the word into MS Word and it was underlined, not once with that red line, but TWICE!! And the suggested options did not include "shook" because Word is saying, nuhbody coulda fool suh! Instead, it believes the writer wanted to say "snaked" or "shacked"!

sigh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When I see him on Face Book - I will tell him to maximize his spell checker
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

A lot of half baked journalist deh bout sah. English is really a second language for them.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

well, i believe English is Jamaica's second language, suh is not just di journalist dem.
                    Last edited by Mosiah; April 20, 2010, 11:03 AM. Reason: there is no such word as Engish

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

was that even patois?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No!

Our dear Portia said yesterday that she hopes the PM will tell us the truth about Bradygate today because we would not want to have to hear it from some US news medias.

That was not patois eedah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Disappointing, but not surprised

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          No!

Our dear Portia said yesterday that she hopes the PM will tell us the truth about Bradygate today because we would not want to have to hear it from some US news medias.

That was not patois eedah!
                          Hard to believe such a high profile figure not being able to distinguish "medium" (singular) from "media" (plural)!! And she wants to lead our nation and go abroad giving fancy speeches!

The only time "medias" is correct is with an apostrophe; that is, "media's". Over to you, Jawge (she's your idol). Damn!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                            Hard to believe such a high profile figure not being able to distinguish "medium" (singular) from "media" (plural)!! And she wants to lead our nation and go abroad giving fancy speeches!

The only time "medias" is correct is with an apostrophe; that is, "media's". Over to you, Jawge (she's your idol). Damn!
                            Cho Historian...and I am not saying this because I also make terrible 'gaffes' or my known admiration for Mada P...but errors in use of the English Language should not disqualify one from leading the nation. If that were the case all our past leaders (including Norman Manley and Michael Manley who both made slips and at times corrected themselves)...and all of our present leaders would be disqualified as one time or the other mistakes were made.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"corrected themselves" can be a saving grace.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X