• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response to Shaming of Champs Editorial

Shameful Editorial
    Published: Thursday | April 1, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions
    The Editor, Sir:

I refer to your editorial in March 30 titled 'The shaming of Champs' and find the editorial itself to be shameful.

That you would find it necessary and appropriate to single out the action of one athlete - an action which is so commonplace in our society that it leaves me baffled as to the interpretation you put to it - and to reprimand that athlete and his school in your editorial and give it such a title, leaves me truly disappointed in The Gleaner.

Having watched the (poorly) televised coverage of Champs on TV and having attended the event last Saturday, there are so many high as well as low points which I noted. I am amazed that the 'behaviour' of which you complain made it to the top of your list to cause you to write an editorial on it. Did the writer make any inquiries as to what the athlete may have meant when he made the gesture complained of?

Party gun salutes

Has the editorial writer ever been to a party in Jamaica and seen the patrons raise their hands in the form of a 'gun salute' when a song they like is played? Did the writer not notice any other "inappropriate" methods of celebrating victory, or mourning defeat? Like athletes showboating when they won or throwing down a baton when they lost, or patrons throwing missiles at the victors when the team they supported lost?

The negativity in your editorial is unnecessary and serves to do nothing but demoralise an athlete who has worked hard to represent his school. Your space would have been better spent praising the athletes and their coaches for the hard work that was put into the event and for once again putting Jamaica in the spotlight for its athletics talents. These athletes and their coaching staff sacrifice so much in preparing for these games while balancing their schoolwork and careers and no mention is made of that in your editorial.

It is indeed your editorial, rather than the athlete's method of celebration, that has diminished Champs.

I am, etc.,

KAMEIKA FULLERTON-DELISSER

kamfull@hotmail.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

This person is a FIRST Class EEJIOT...the Gleaner did a wonderful job of presenting the best of Champs from last year and stepped up their game the week of Champs with many stories bringing out the glory of Champs and they had all right to highlight this one negative as they did when Ricardo Powell of C'bar showed the one fingered salute last year.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

The fact is, this gesture was not done by one athlete. So, for those people who are against the editorial because it singled out KC, take heart.

This person is indeed a fool. So, because people do it in the dancehall it is okay at Champs? So, if an athlete celebrated by daggering another (hopefully of a different sex) in front of the grandstand, would that be okay too?!?

As for the students, several from a North Street school, that were daggering in the bleachers on Friday, I guess that would have been okay too.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did a Jamaican Jumper just buss finger shot in Cayman?

Should they kick him out of Grand Cayman? Its a KC youth ....hmmm
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Jamaica's head of State, Queen Elizabeth II, was greeted with a 21-gun salute when she arrived in Jamaica on her sixth visit on February 18, 2002.
          All queenie nuh bizness

Comment

it's one thing to shoot the high jump bar. quite another to shoot the spectators.

in my opinion.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

same boy, same event but at Carifta - same rubbish!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              it's one thing to shoot the high jump bar. quite another to shoot the spectators.

in my opinion.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure2.html

A week ago, this newspaper drew attention to the action of a young athlete at the Issa/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls' Athletic Championships who, having successfully completed his event, pointed to the stands in simulated gunfire. It is a kind of celebration, mimicking the real gun salute that takes place at some events, that reinforces the idea that gun is merely a benign instrument of celebration.
              We believe that was inappropriate behaviour, which ought not to be condoned. Last week, while we identified the school he attended, we gave neither his name nor the discipline in which he performed. Nor do we do so now.
              But Saturday night, at the Carifta Games in the Cayman Islands, broadcast on domestic television, we were shocked by what unfolded: same boy, same event, same outcome, same celebration.
              We still hold that such behaviour is inappropriate.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Wonder if he will do it at Penn Relays????
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                  Wonder if he will do it at Penn Relays????

Perhaps he should, perhaps he should make it a trade mark. We don't see any harm in someone pointing two fingers in a positive salute. However, if he flashes the one finger insult then we will be deeply offended.

Comment

Children live what they learn
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                      Children live what they learn
                      Tenk yuh!
                      ...btw - Going to Penn dis 'ear?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

and risk losing his visa?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X