X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian Clifton Forbes passes on

Olympian Clifton Forbes passes on

Published: Thursday | March 4, 2010

Olympian Clifton Forbes is dead. Forbes, who represented Jamaica at the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico City, died at the University of the West Indies Hospital on Monday after a long illness.

Forbes served Jamaica not only as an athlete, but also as manager for teams to Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Pan American Games and Central America and Caribbean Games. He also served as trainer of the Sunshine Girls.

He is, however, best remembered as a member of Jamaica's 4x100 metres quartet which also included Errol Stewart, Michael Fray and Lennox Miller, who equalled then broke the world sprint relay record on the same day at the 1968 Games.

Edged out

The Jamaican quartet clocked a world record-equalling 38.6 seconds in the heats and lowered it to 38.3 in the semi-finals. They were, however, edged out of a medal by France in the final, with both countries clocking 38.4. The United States won gold in a world-record 38.2, with Cuba second in 38.3.

Forbes ran the individual 400m at the same Games, but did not advance to the final.

On Tuesday Mike Fennell, the president of the Jamaica Olympic Association, described the passing of Forbes as "very sad for all of us".
    "He has contributed to Jamaica's sports in all different ways," said Fennell, who sent condolences to his family.

Forbes, who has a personal best of 45.75 in the 400m, was 64 years old

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports5.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Walk good, Clifton!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Classy individual, always has time for you, soft spoken but always the consumate professional... it was my previlige to have known this great man.

There is a story about him that sometimes ago when Champs was being held at Sabina Park, that he was disqualified in a race and Marcus Garvey junior held a one man protest by laying across the track, refusing to move until he was reinstated.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

so jon drummond had a precedent?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Karl did you ever see Errol Stewart run? I have always heard he was one of the best starters we have produced.Also, did you see the legendary Champs Class 1 100 yards in 1969 when Quarrie caught Stewart on the line?

I hope many of these stories are recalled as part of Champs 100 this year. When i was in school they had a "History of Boys Champs" book in the library which my friends and I loved to go through and look at the photos.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

perhaps, but drummond was not reinstated.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Kinda sound like when the crowd in Antigua mash up a cricket match when a young upcoming star named Viv Richards was given out.

"No Viv, no game!"
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Except Garvey was not an athlete, at least he did not take part in that race
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

I went to see a cricket game a few years ago when Lawrence Rowe was coming back to play here for the first time in decades.

Allan Rae Oval was jam packed and every vantage point around the boundaries was filled..Rowe walked out to a rapturous applause and the first ball he faced he was out plumb lbw, even the square leg umpire the non striker appealed- that was how plumb he was but the standing umpire Cecil Fletcher said "not out" and Rowe went on to make five, all in singles

A few days later I asked Fletcher about the decision and he said without batting an eye that the people had come to see Rowe bat and not the youngster bowl
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

that quote is also attributed to WG Grace (i think or was it ranjit sinji) not sure how he was out but he refused to leave using the same reasoning.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Karl did you ever see Errol Stewart run? I have always heard he was one of the best starters we have produced.Also, did you see the legendary Champs Class 1 100 yards in 1969 when Quarrie caught Stewart on the line?

I hope many of these stories are recalled as part of Champs 100 this year. When i was in school they had a "History of Boys Champs" book in the library which my friends and I loved to go through and look at the photos.
                      Yup!
                      I waus dere!

...and I have a copy of that book right by my side as I type! ...just turning back the years!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        that quote is also attributed to WG Grace (i think or was it ranjit sinji) not sure how he was out but he refused to leave using the same reasoning.
                        The late Douglas Sang Hue!
                        Rowe's second innings at Sabina Park. I watched most of that innings from a house at Vineyard Town. Black and White TV time!

It was Champs (Boys Champs) time and the Mannings team was in 'town'. The team was staying in Vineyard Town.

Rowe went on to make 100 not out to complete two centuries in the match. I even remember it was against New Zealand. He had scored 200+ in the 1st innings.

That guy Rowe could bat. He made it look ooooohhhhhh so easy and he made 'shot' after 'shot'.

Comment

Working...
                        X