RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Willi...The Jamaican Skier guy...(why the 'ell do I bother!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willi...The Jamaican Skier guy...(why the 'ell do I bother!!

Ski cross to make Olympic debut; called 'most fun on a pair of skis'

By Chris Chase

[IMG]The newest event at the Winter Olympics is a hybrid of skiing, motocross and roller derby. But the goal of ski cross is as simple as can be: First one down the hill wins.

Vancouver marks the Olympic debut of ski cross, a race that features four competitors racing down a 3,700-foot course, with steep turns, moguls, rollers and various terrain drops that encourage skiers to get airborne. Though intentional contact is prohibited, jostling does occur, and wipeouts are relatively common.

Errol Kerr, a Brooklyn-born ski crosser who will compete for Jamaica in the Olympics, told the New York Daily News of his sport:
    "I think it's the most fun you can have on a pair of skis. You're going at high speeds over big jumps and rough terrain. You have to be ready for someone to take you on the inside. For some ski racers it would be really intimidating."
    Ski cross was originally created by organizers of ESPN's Winter X Games. Called "Skier X," it was designed to appeal to the younger generation of viewers who tend to watch extreme sports. The IOC has been courting these viewers since 1998, when snowboarding was introduced at the Nagano Games. In that respect, ski cross is part of the natural evolution of the Winter Olympics.

It's especially welcome because the Winter Games tend to heavily feature events in which competitors are judged or race against the clock, but not necessarily one another. The appeal of ski cross, in addition to the high-flying jumps caused by elevation changes, is that the winner is the one who crosses the finish line first.

Snowboard cross was introduced in Turin in 2006 and was an instant hit with viewers, who seemed to like the idea of watching a race instead of an indistinguishable run of skiers.

Two former giants of alpine skiing, Daron Rahlves and Casey Puckett, will be featured on the American ski cross team. The men's races are scheduled for Feb. 21, while the women will take to the slopes two days later.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

The only thing I want to know is when our curling squad takes the ice? - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Errol Kerr...Jamaican Skier-guy.

HL

Comment

you go gurl...

HL

Comment

And the ice-Dancers!

LoL

Comment

Hahahaha

I am watching way more winter Olys than you, so stay deh!

Comment

You wont find us in the Hockey though.

In Jamaica we dont play hockey, we heat Hockey. LoL

Comment

A like that....ice dancers...

HL

Comment

Yuh late. This has been posted months ago

Comment

When will T&T start to play follow fashion?

and enter the Winter Olympics?
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

If is even curling! Cause das all dem seem to do when wi buss dem ass on the football field - curl up and die!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X