• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpson returns - Olympic star on track

Simpson returns - Olympic star on track after overcoming injury
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010
    ANGELS, St Catherine -- Beijing Olympic Games 100m silver medallist Sherone Simpson is continuing her return to a full athletics schedule after being sidelined for most of last year following surgery on her knee.
    After running what she described as possibly one of her best 400m races as part of the MVP team which won the 4x400m relay at Saturday's 32nd Milo Western Relays at GC Foster College, the 25-year-old Simpson told the Observer she was back to full fitness and looking forward to a successful season.

"The knee really feels good and I just give thanks that I'm able to continue and not to feel any pain," she said.
    Simpson, who tied with Jamaican teammate Kerron Stewart for second place behind MVP teammate Shelly-Ann Fraser at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, was beaming after opening her season on Saturday.
    "I felt good, I really felt good, I think this was one of the best 400m I have ever run," she said.
    Simpson had run her personal best of 51.25 seconds in a break-out year in 2006 when she also set her personal bests in the 100m (10.82 seconds) and 200m (22.0 seconds).
    After being sidelined after the 2008 Olympics, Simpson, the 2006 Commonwealth Games 200m champion, had returned to competition last year and ran a season-best 11.15 seconds at a meet in Italy.
    Asked about her long lay-off from competitive track and field, the former Manchester High runner said: "Wow, it has been long, definitely too long, but I am happy that I am able to compete, it has been a while but I give thanks that I am able to be running."
    Simpson, who is down to run the 400m event at Saturday's UWI Classic, says her goals for this season is to surpass her personal bests and return to the top of the world rankings as she was in the 2006 season.
    Simpson, who ran the lead- off leg of the gold medal-winning Jamaican girls 4x100m relay team at the IAAF World Junior Championships held in Kingston in 2002 is under no illusion that getting back on top will be easy, especially with her teammate Fraser on top of her game.
    "The bar has been raised high and I just want to ensure that I work very hard and just run personal bests," she noted.
    Having Fraser in her camp and at training every day is a definite boost, Simpson said. "She is working hard and is a very good competitor and I am just happy to have her in my camp, Olympic champion, world champion, what more could I ask for," she stated.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Nice article Sickko. Keep them coming. Me neva know seh yuh coulda leave MoBay and reach St. Catherine. Likkle most yuh almost reach Kingston (fareen).
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

LOL, had no choice, part of the organising committee of the Western Relays
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
      X