• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF boss says world could learn from Jamaica

IAAF boss says world could learn from Jamaica
    BY DANIA BOGLE Observer writer
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010

AS the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) prepares to celebrate the centenary of the Boys and Girls Athletic Championships, International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president, Lamine Diack, says this is where the future of the sport rests.
    "The future of our sport is in the schools. If you don't develop the sport in the schools we are dead, we have no chance to build up a great sport," Diack told the Observer.

DIACK... you give the possibility to youngsters to do track and field and this is the right way and we have to learn this from your system

DIACK... you give the possibility to youngsters to do track and field and this is the right way and we have to learn this from your system

1/1

"In the schools you give the opportunity to any youngster to demonstrate that he can be a good runner, a good jumper, a good thrower," stated Diack, who has been at the helm of world track and field for over a decade.
    The Senegalese former footballer and long jumper cited his own experiences as example.
    "I discovered very young that I could be a good long jumper, but I only started jumping when I was 22. I jumped five years, but I think if I had started at 16 or 17, possibly by now, I would have jumped over eight metres and the world record is 8.13m," Diack said.
    The Boys and Girls Championships has been a breeding ground for some of the Jamaica's most successful athletes.
    The most recent and arguably most notable athlete to emerge from 'Champs' is 100m and 200m world record holder, Usain Bolt.
    In the 400m, the double World and Olympic Champion still holds a record at the annual schools event.
    Other Olympic and World Championships gold medallists who starred as high school track and field athletes include Melaine Walker and Veronica Campbell-Brown.
    Other development meets are also held each weekend for at least four months of the year.
    "They have to look to you (Jamaica)," Diack said. "You give the possibility to youngsters to do track and field and this is the right way and we have to learn this from your system."
    Diack also highlighted the CARIFTA Championships, the region's athletics championships for Under-20 athletes, as another place where talent could be spotted and said he had consistently encouraged Council Members of the sport's world governing body to attend the annual event.
    "CARIFTA is a wonderful experience on what we can do with the youth," he said. "I tell them you have to go and learn on what you can do with the sprinting events."
    "I think the experience must be looked at by all our federations who want to put track and field in the system, they have to learn from you," Diack reiterated
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

H.L is he implying that our Prep, Primary, High School & invitational T&F meets are World Class ? esp the prep , primary & high school ?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

yuh fresh!?! yuh nuh know seh nutten world class come fram jamaica? dem haffi guh merrykah or hinglan fuss...maybe even canada!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

A Bolt in time! Diack says J'can star saved sport
        Diack says J'can star saved scandal-ridden sport
        BY DANIA BOGLE Observer writer
        Friday, February 19, 2010

USAIN Bolt may have been the person to save track and field in the face of a number of doping scandals, as well as to highlight the merits of the junior school system.
        That's according to International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president, Lamine Diack.

BOLT... IAAF Male Athlete of the Year for 2008 and 2009
        var caption4118152 = document.getElementById('photocaption4118152').inn erHTML; var mygallery=new fadeSlideShow({ wrapperid: "fadeshow1", //ID of blank DIV on page to house Slideshow dimensions: [370, 245], //width/height of gallery in pixels. Should reflect dimensions of largest image imagearray: [ ["http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/4118152/BOLT_w370.jpg", "", "", caption4118152 ] ], displaymode: {type:'manual', pause:3000, cycles:0, wraparound:false}, persist: false, //remember last viewed slide and recall within same session? fadeduration: 500, //transition duration (milliseconds) descreveal: "always", togglerid: "slideshowtoggler" })

BOLT... IAAF Male Athlete of the Year for 2008 and 2009

1/1

"I think it was the thing that was needed in our sport to see one athlete like him (Bolt) coming from the school system," Diack told the Observer.
        Diack has previously touted the benefits of the school system, using Jamaica as model, saying that this is where the future of the global sport rests.
        "They have to look to you (Jamaica)," the Senegalese. "You give the possibility to youngsters to do track and field and this is the right way and we have to learn this from your system."
        Though he gained worldwide attention and fame at the Beijing Olympics as a 22-year-old, Bolt's achievements were known locally for in excess of five years before the 2008 Games when as a schoolboy, he claimed numerous victories at the CARIFTA Junior Championships, the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association Boys and Girls Athletics Championships, and the 2002 World Junior Championships.
        "I think to have Bolt coming with exceptional physical qualities and very good speed is the thing our sport needed to have... to fix new limits and to show that it is possible; the merit was kept," Diack told the Observer.
        Bolt has thrice lowered the 100m world record -- from 9.74 seconds to 9.72, to 9.69 and 9.58, and twice improved the 200m mark from 19.32 seconds to 19.30 and 19.19.
        Diack, who has been charge of the world governing body in excess of a decade, said he knew Bolt was something special when he first saw him in competition at the CARIFTA Games in the Bahamas in 2001.
        "I saw him in the 400m and I said he would develop into a fantastic 400m runner, but the following year he won the World Junior Championships in the 200m and I was prepared to see a wonderful athlete develop, but I never thought about him in the 100m," Diack said.
        "What he has achieved is incredible because to run 9.58 was not expected," he added.
        The IAAF named Bolt the Male Athlete of the Year in 2008 and 2009.
        While there has been speculation about where his career takes him next, Diack has said he doesn't see the athlete taking on the 400m or 800m internationally any time soon.

Comment

Working...
        X