• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt proves he's also Jamaica's best 400m runner

Bolt impressive in 400m run

BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com

Sunday, February 14, 2010

WORLD 100 and 200 metres record-holder Usain Bolt clocked an impressive 45.87 seconds over 400 metres in his opening race of the season at the 6th Camperdown Classic at the National Stadium yesterday.

Running in lane four, the triple Olympic and World Championship gold medallist rushed into the lead by the 150-metre mark before moving away to win his heat by some 20 metres.

The 23-year-old sprinter was satisfied with the time and his execution in the race.

"I think I'm at the same place where I was last year (this time). I haven't surpassed it in any way... I didn't feel the way I wanted to, but I feel pretty good as I got 45, so that's a good sign," Bolt told the Sunday Observer.

"My coach talked about me running the first 200 too hard, so I tried to pace myself very well and then I tried to just bring it home nice and smooth," he added, hinting that the race may have been his only 400m of the season.

"From here, it's just back to training. I was supposed to do a next 400 next week, but I have some sponsorship duties, so I'll just continue training," Bolt added, indicating he will continue to work on his fitness.

"I don't think I'm really as fit as I want to be, so I'm just concentrating on that. We haven't started technique work or anything yet."

Bolt's Racer's Track Club teammate Richard Chamber -- a semi-finalist at the Olympics and World Championships, clocked the second fastest time of 45.98 to win his heat, while Ansert Whyte finished third overall, with 2006 Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Jermaine Gonzales third in 46.71.

The women's equivalent went Olympic 400m finalist Rose-Marie Whyte, who also trains with Racers Track Club, in 53.34secs, ahead of teammate Schillonie Calvert in 54.68.

In the meantime, the lanky Bolt, who usually runs his first 100m race of the season at the GC Foster Classic, says he is uncertain as whether that will happen this time around.

"They (GC Foster) always have a meet, but I don't think I'll be doing that this year, so I'm not sure where I'll be doing my first 100 metres," he said.

On the matter of the 19th Commonwealth Games, which is scheduled for New Delhi, India, from October 3-14, Bolt told the Sunday Observer a decision has not been taken by his coach.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

"the lanky Bolt"....Who can describe Bolt as being LANKY? This writer needs to invest in a dictionary.

Comment

lankyAadjective
      1 gangling, gangly, lanky

ungracefully tall and thin

2 gangling, gangly, lanky, rangy

tall and thin and having long slender limbs; "a gangling teenager"; "a lanky kid transformed almost overnight into a handsome young man"

Peter R

Comment

"Bolt proves he's also Jamaica's best 400m runner" Where did you find this statement?

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
          "Bolt proves he's also Jamaica's best 400m runner" Where did you find this statement?
          find it? I didn't find it...I made it.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Bad enough that the writer called Bolt lanky, to saddle him with that Knucklehead statement, means you have it out for him, mind you his writing needs tuning up bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
              Bad enough that the writer called Bolt lanky, to saddle him with that Knucklehead statement, means you have it out for him, mind you his writing needs tuning up bad.
              i put this down to confusion on your part...

Comment

and bolt is far from lanky. indeed, he has bulked up since his world championship exploits.

they may have to fit him with a parachute for his next 100m race.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X