• Show
Clear All

• Otis Gibson to be WI new head coach

ECB give Gibson green light

Bowling coach set to take over national side

Gibson: given permission to talk to WICB
    Related links

Teams

// A bit of a hack but it works // The article snippet is wrapped onto a second line, even when #article-sub is empty if( $("div#article-sub").children().length == 0 ) { $("div#article-sub").remove(); }The England and Wales Cricket Board has cleared the way for bowling coach Ottis Gibson to take over as head coach of the West Indies.
    An ECB spokesman confirmed on Sunday that an approach from the West Indies Cricket Board had been received regarding Gibson, who played two Tests and 15 one-day internationals for his native country.
    The ECB also revealed that the 40-year-old had himself asked his employers for permission to speak to the WICB and that they had agreed.
    Gibson has been overseeing England's bowling attack since he replaced Kevin Shine in 2007 but has made no secret of his desire to test himself in a bigger role.
    He now looks unlikely to take part in England's forthcoming six week tour to Dubai and Bangladesh.
    Challenge

Gibson's return to the West Indies will certainly come as a blow to England, who may struggle to find a suitable long-term replacement.
    Shine, who now works for the ECB as a fast bowling coach at development level, may be asked to step in on a temporary basis for the upcoming tour.
    One of Gibson's first challenges if he becomes West Indies' head coach will be the ICC World Twenty20 in the Caribbean at the end of April.
    The West Indies' second match of the competition on May 3 he will come against England in a group match in Guyana

well well well RJR has well placed sources.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The England and Wales Cricket Board are seeking a successor for Ottis Gibson after the fast bowling coach left his post on Tuesday.
      Barbados-born Gibson vacated the role he has occupied since 2007 to take up the position of West Indies head coach.
      "Ottis has been a valuable member of my management team and we will all be sorry to see him leave," said England head coach Andy Flower.
      "However we recognise that being offered the chance to be head coach of your country was an offer that would be hard for Ottis to resist. We wish him well in the future."
      Gibson played two Tests and 15 one-day internationals for the West Indies but was brought to England's attention by his county cricket displays for Durham.
      Grateful

"We are extremely grateful to Ottis for his hard work as England fast bowling coach," said Hugh Morris, managing director of England cricket.
      "Since becoming the full-time England fast bowling coach in 2007 he has contributed so much to the success of the team and was an integral part of the Ashes-winning backroom staff last summer.
      "There has been much speculation in the last few days about the role of fast bowling coach but now Ottis has confirmed his departure, Andy Flower and I will begin the process of identifying the right individual who can join the England set up and build on the foundation laid by Ottis."
      Gibson follows in the footsteps of another former England fast bowling coach, Australian Troy Cooley, who also returned to his home country to take up a position.
      Predecessors to Gibson in the role, Allan Donald and Kevin Shine, have already been rumoured as possible replacements. Shine continues to work at development level for the ECB.

Sacked

Gibson replaces the sacked John Dyson as West Indies coach and his duties begin with a Twenty20 international against Zimbabwe on February 28 followed by a series of five one-day internationals.
      David Williams will retain his post as interim coach for the intervening games against Australia.
      "I will always be grateful to the ECB for the opportunities they gave me as a bowling coach and in particular to (former head coach) Peter Moores for offering the role as England fast bowling coach," said 40-year-old Gibson.
      "I would like to thank Andy Flower as well for all the advice, encouragement and support he has given me in the last year. It was a privilege to be a part of such an outstanding and successful team."

Comment

Do we really need an ex-England fast bowler coach? England has fast bowlers?

Comment

they outperformed ours in england. anderson and broad became better bowlers under him. i know he can help our bowlers, what does he have in mind to help our batsmen and fielders and the overall attitude of the players....THAT is the question

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
          X